• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Not sure about panfish, but a guy at the launch said he and his wife pulled a limit of crappies out.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• budboy

• fishuhalik

• reinhard1

• River Rocket

The panfish were biting ok saturday. Caught some sunfish on crawlers and some crappies dragging around a tube jig with a minnow. Fishing weed lines and flats both produced fish, 6-12 fow.

Fished there yesterday in the morning and the heat of the afternoon. 1 walleye, 10 crappie and a bunch of sheepies. Fished anywhere from 6-17ft. The crappies were really wandering. Tough to set-up on.

Used fatheads and leaches. Nothing on leeches.

Wow was it green in the morning on Saturday.

The bite seemed to pick up now that the water is down. I put a 5 lb large mouth in the boat. Saw a few nice Musky as well

I would say I see one almost every time I'm out fishing. They will usually let you drive right up on top of them if you are quiet. Never seem to be interested in much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to north landing saturday morning. The dock is 10 ft out from shore, concrete landing is completely submerged and shoreline to shallow, gravel all around is badly rutted from rain runoff. IMO, useless.

Went to south landing, dock is under water, concrete landing is completely submerged as well and shoreline too shallow. IMO, useless.

Unless you have help to load and unload your boat, wear shorts and be prepared to wade into the water. Unless you can hop from boat trailer to truck cus you pretty much have to back your truck into the water.

Good luck, hope the water goes down soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing report: The pikes and bass are hitting pretty well on this lake. We caught a 35" Northern and saw a 50" Musky just cruising around the boat. The bass were in the weeds.

Theft report: South ramp on Poky Lake, some low life stole all my air tire caps off my boat trailer.

• 4 weeks later...

How has the bite been? I'm bringing a friend up this Saturday to fish pike and bass, just wondering if they are still active. If so are they deep or shallow? Thanks

I had the guide poles stolen right off the back of my trailer at that landing last year. They didn't help much anyway, but it still ticked me off. I'll be out there tomorrow.

We did ok in the morning into the afternoon. By about 4pm it just shut down. Current is still strong on the river.

• 4 months later...

herd that its been a very slow bite this year

im sure they have a good amount of snow up there now with this recent snowfall we just got

• 2 weeks later...

I fished Pokegama on Sun. was able to get 4 keeper crappies in the middle of the main colony at the access. I wanted to fish some other spots but never been out there. Is it O.K. to drive anywhere on the lake or are there bad spots??? Thanks for the info

Pokegama has been very very slow the second half of the year. I had 3 buddies fishing yesterday and they only caught 3 fish all day, and they know the lake! I truly thing that the poor fishing this year on Pokegama is directly related to the amount of fishing pressure it has receiced the past three winters. I go outta my way to talk to people to get reports and I have heard all winter from people who caught 3,4,5 fish for the day.hundreds of people catching 3,4,5 fish means hundreds of fish leaving the lake, and this happened most every weekend! I hope I am wrong about this but there are too many examples where overharvest has devastated a fish population.

Best thing to do is think out of the box and fish where nobody else is. It is tough to drill a bunch of holes when the ice is 2 1/2 ft thick. But the extra work pays off. Some of the time. frown

Your buddies fish it all the time so they are part of the overharvest?

You dont know what other people are keeping or not keeping. Just like we dont know what your buddies are keeping or not keeping.

When lakes have a hot bite they get pounded. Its been that way for years.

Sounds like you guys need to figure out where they are biting "when they arent biting." whistle

It will cycle back.

I live near Centerville lake. Every 3-4 yrs it has a good panfish bite of good sized metro crappie/sunfish. It gets pounded for 2 yrs and then 3-4 years later it gets good again.

I bet Pokie has a faster turn around then that since its a hour north of the metro herd of anglers. grin

2c

Dont get me wrong we harvest some fish outta the lake, I live on cross and 4 miles from pokie so these are the lakes that I fish. My group of fisherman actually joke how we educate the crappies in the hot spots early in the year. (catch and release) and come to think of it, we really "educated" the fish for a few days this early season! ha, funny. maybe you can blame us for the tough bite? grin

How bout my question??? Is it O.K> to drive most places on the lake? I'll be up sat. to take my 3 or 4! grin

yes you can drive bout anywhere. I was out today on a spot I call "the corner" with my wife and we did quite well! 7 crappies and 9 bluegills in the first hour, over the next or second hour we released several fish. big crappie was 11 1/2 inches and 9 inch bluegill. bite was solid with fish suspended in 17-18fow. all fish came on waxies and plastics. Glow blue and chartruese were the best colors, tried red and white but not nearly as productive. Fish are definately showing up in areas they were not just two weeks ago! Had the lake to myself pretty much. only saw a few trucks out today.

Thanks! I'll be out pound'in my 4 slabs sat. or sun. going to be very windy sat. I might just stay home and drink.

oldendays, how'd ya do? well I hope. had two friends fish pokegama on sat and did pretty decent on the bluegills. 8-10 fow and plastics. The lake was pretty quiet this weekend, Cross too. Not much time left with the forecast I saw this am! Oh well, soon as the ice goes off, im right back on em!

Fished Pokegama for the first time 2 weeks ago. Had no outside input, just used my H20 chip and started eliminating spots. Did very good on nice gills and just eeked out a limit of crappies in 10 to 15 ft. of water using euro. Maybe all the 4 t0 5 fish guys not working hard enough?

i haven't made it out there this winter, but i did do well near the island last year and next to the hump a little north of the island. the east side on the south end was another area i fished south of the first point in about 12 ft of water. good luck.

Was there yesterday also got a limit of crappies and some gills. I dont think the accesses are gonna last to long there was ruts already

with all the dirt tracked on there and the sun you are right. i think that will be the case all over this week. good luck.

I got out sun. pretty good bite up till about 1pm and then they died. I fished a few spots in 8-14 ft. alot of lookers after 1pm. Gave me time to hit happy hour. Brought home a nice mixed bag of about 25 fish.

sunday must have been a good day in general. i have talked to a couple of other people who did well in the area. time to start walking by next weekend or the wheeler. good luck.

I think we will be driving for a few more weeks. I hope to get up a few more times. Not thurs., I'll be busy celebrating St. Patricks day!!! grin