• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I did all right. Caught about 15, nothing real big, in twenty feet of water. They were only biting right before dark so I had a lot of down time staring at the Marcum.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• budboy

• fishuhalik

• reinhard1

• River Rocket

was out there saturday and sunday....many lookers....but they were very tight lipped....managed to take home a few.

i did have a wild ride on my new Thorne Bros panfish sweetheart with 3 lb test.....landed a 32 inch northern....

I will be out there Sat morning at about 7AM if you would like to join me.. We will be going out from the eat landing and walking to the south side of the island.. let me know

Ryan

12 inches, fished it today. A lot of fish but the smallest average in the past four years. Lots and lots of just barely keeper crappies. It must have been the first time more crappies came out of ice than sunnies for me.

I'm heading up there this weekend, never fished the lake, wondering if any body could help me out with a FOW estimate for the crappies. Thanks.

I was out from 9 a.m. until about 2:30 yesterday during the snow storm. We caught about 30 crappies and a few walleyes in about 20 feet of water. Walleyes were pretty small.

I was out this past weekend, and set up around noon, sat there and looked at the vex for 5 hours with a bunch of lookers and light bites, but had to wait until around 5:30, until I started reeling em' up. Finished with 25 crappies from 5:30 to 7:00. Oh and one northern.

I was out there this past weekend and saw a lot of people driving out there with their trucks. Plus there are plenty of permanents out there as well.

Any trucks on pokegama? Went to the floppy crappie a little over a week ago and didn't see too much truck traffic. Heading up there tmorrow and wondering if I need the wheeler

im just up from mitchels landing with 13to 14 inches. 1/2 ton trucks running by my house. i have a trail from shore to my house (im using a wheeler) the snow drifts by my house are up to 2 feet deep not able to move around alot on wheeler in that depth (truck or snowmobile is best bet)

Sounds great. Thanks for the info, so more than likely there is trucks gaining access from the floppy? Thats the only place I've ever really got on the lake from

14-16" - on the vehicle paths on lake. But be careful off trail due to river flow or melt - it has ice crust then water followed by ice - about 12".

I went out this morning and found 12-13" of ice measured with a tape measure. Lots of slush in spots. Trucks are driving but seem to be staying to the trails. Not a whole lot of people were out and fishing was on the slower side.

I fished this lake last weekend hoping to find some pike, but didn't have any luck. The only thing we were able to put on the ice was a 4 lb dogfish caught on a tip-up with a shiner. We were fishing the shore line west from the island. Anyone have any recommendations for a good pike spot in the winter? Thanks in advance!

I know the snake river itself is full of pike...I'm wondering if it's ever safe to get on the river ice and do some tip up fishing for pike? Anyone ever do it?

Caught a few pike on tip ups. My father in law has a cabin on the lake for 10 years and has caught some pike open water fishing, some large ones too.

I would think if you can find weeds and panfish you can find pike.

Fished a lake close to there today and the snow didn't make things too tough. As a matter of fact is was easier going today than a few days ago before the slush froze.

I and buddy's -n- gals will be on "POKE" lake new years through saturday.. Crappie average size is declined this year.. For now, so has the average size on sunnies.. I fish this lake year round and late ice.. My biggies are "10 1/2" bluegill "28 1/2" walleye.. The lake has abbsorbed heavy preasure last three years.. For norderns a good spot would be east side before tuxedo point..

dougger,

There are no weeds to be found in the winter. The pike seem to cruise the 15 range (give or take a couple feet). That's where the perch are.

I agree with the statement, it ain't what it used to be. Too many limits of crappie and sunfish leave the lake year round. But, that's just the way it is. It's still an interesting body of water to fish year round. Never know what you'll catch.

Back in the day, Pokegama used to regularly put out 13, 14, even 15 inch crappies and 10+ inch bluegills. No kidding. This was about 10 years ago though when much much fewer people fished it. However, it is still a very good lake and within a driveable distance from the twin cities and suburbs, and still has decent fish.

But here's my question - are some special regs in order to prevent further decline? I think so, especially with crappies which are getting smaller every year.

I wouldn't mind seeing some special regs on alot of the areas lakes. I think it would definalty help with over fishing and fish size. With the number of people fishing some of the popular lakes it is hard to believe that lake can keep producing. I have fished a few lakes with special regs and it appears to me that they must work because the size of the fish was awesome.

I'm in favor of such regulations (especially for crappies), I wouldn't just put it on pokegama though, I'd include it for the river downstream to the cross lake dam (including cross lake of course).