• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

bapperpimp

If you are trolling, you may want to go through the mouth out of the gill and then through the body.

C. Ford

Hey Bob good to hear ferom you. Ya I dont get around Ballards at all anymore fish out of Zippel and Rocky most of the time doing ok tahe care and look out for shallow spots Chris

C. Ford

Happy Memorial Day, Just got back from the angle late last nite off day today, wich is ok real rainy and cool up here again. Fishing was excellent lots of fish with a real good mix of size wich is good to see. Good numbers of 15"-18" fish with some slot fish mixed in 28.75" was the biggest we saw over the weekend. Water temps are on the rise wich I like to see, get things rockin for the bass and musky. Fish we're kinda spread out as far as depth goes. In the morning they went well for us in 12-14ft late morning was better 18-23 and the afternoon was best in 23-30 on the gradual slopes. Spent most of our time around oak found more fish there than anywhere. Talked to a couple of other guides I know and the Canadian water is rockin, the shorline bite is very good right now. The guys i talked to that fish the gaps and 4-mile our still anchored and jiggin and doing well. Stay dry and good luck.

WingDing2

Just got back! Had a good weekend and the weather was great! Fishing was medium, we were anchored in 4 mile bay and it was consistant but a little slower than opener hehehe. Fished out front of Pine with slower than exspected results... went back to the bay and finished there. Cant wait to go back and do it again!

cbrooks

Fished 4 mile bay and the north end of pine island. First timer at L.O.W. The fishing was steady and had better luck fishing the morning in the mouth of the Rainy. Was wondering why nobody was fishing the canadian side? Somebody told me that you have to stay in Canada to fish over there is this true?

C. Ford

No thats not true, you dont have to stay in Canada. You need a remote border pass or you can call in at the angle and dont forget your fishing license and outdoor card for Ont. Sure wish we could get a call in station on wheelers point always wonder why there isnt when theres 3 call boxes at the angle. The reason you dont see many boats over there now is mainly because the ontario limit is two and zero tolerance for alchol in the boat. The limit is a big deal for alot of people. But once you fish the islands you will always go back if youre in to just good fishin

cbrooks

thanks for correction C ford I will have to get a border pass/license next time.

walleye 4 me

Had a great weekend at the lake. Fished twin islands and gull rock reef with sucsess at both. Few more numbers at twin, better size at gull. 4 fish in the slot, 21,22,24, and a 27. Anchored in 26' 1/4 oz white or green jigs with a minnow was best.

Chirofish

We just got back from our annual trip to the Angle. We fish Ontario from Big Narrows to Lily. Water temps were anywhere from 48-56. The fish were very spread out. We caught some in 10 fow outside shallow weedy bays and some in 30 fow off of rocky points. Many small-medium sized fish with a 25" being the biggest. Chartruse spinners with crawlers seemed to work best with jigs and gulp also catching a few.

Tully

Thanks for the posts C. Ford and Chirofish. Our annual trip up there isn't until June 11th. It is fun to see posts, it just makes it harder to wait to get up there. Have you guys ever gotten into any crappies up there? We caught some last winter and would love to find some this summer.

Thanks again,

Tully

sturgeonator

C.Ford sounds like you know a lot about LOW. Sure wish I could get together with you and get some tips. Show me the finer points of walleye and northern fishing. Noticed you had some awesome sturgeon pictures on your web site.

C. Ford

Thanks for the feedback, Just takes time on the water Ive been fortunate to be able to guide full time since 1999. Started guideing for Steve Ballard at Ballards and never looked back. Really enjoy the small personal thing compared to the Charter boat stuff, real good experience though. Spend most of my time now either in the Canadian water or up in the Angle area, Bait fish all year long no need for the riggers, once in a great while when I'm running over flow. Kinda have to then thats what they want you doing it seems. Any way gotta go. Keep it fun, Chris

firedew

C.Ford you sure have come a long way,It's been 20 yrs since we use to catch crappies on Lake Minnetonka and Medicine lake.I'll look you up when the ice freezes and I'm up for the walleyes.

fiskyknut

WOW fishing has been good this year! Bite on Muskeg is kicking into high gear and Sunday folks baifishing were plain hoisting the Walters. Last 2 trips for me were plug pulling trips, not getting the numbers the baitfishers are getting but the size makes up for that! SR's, Hornets, and Xraps all have been bit!

Good reports from East to West and pretty much all points inbetween!

Fine weather coming this weekend too, for a change! By golly we just might see sunshine and temps into the 70's this weekend finally!

fiskyknut

bluegill56

We are planning on coming up this weekend to fish the south shore. Any reports or advice greatly appreciated.

WIFisher

Coming up to the North end (Canadian Side) a week from tomorrow for the muskie opener. What have water temps been like in the bays/mainlake? Just wondering if most of them will still be in the bays(I hope so)

Thanks

LaPorte_MN_IA

Last week as we left the lake the main water was 54. The bays were starting to rise to 60 - 62. The assortment of fish were starting to arrive in the bays.

We casted for pike in the Hades Islands which is great musky water. I didn't see or hear of one musky being caught.

Scout*

Fished Warroad, Swift, south shore, elm, Buffalo south pt.

Fished last Thursday, Friday. Lots of small fish, mostly saugers. Caught only one keeper walleye and several nice sauger. Others were either too small or too big. Fished in 14' to 3' of water. Dragged shads and raps. Only decent report of nice keepers came from fisherman fishing Buffalo south pt on Thursday. Caught three nice walleye out of the slot.

Hopefully warmer weather will turn on the nicer sized walleyes.

Scout

Kingfisher

Two of us launched yesterday morning out of the Warroad Public Access, headed east a couple miles to a waypoint, dropped a spinner & crawler into the very milky water, picked up an 18", Wow easy pickens right, not. We threw back three little ones, and kept jumping further and further east, we didn't see one boat dip net a fish. Headed to 12 Mile, made a few passes, nothing, went to Buffalo South Point, water clarity normal, didn't start catching fish until we got to Elm Point, kept 5 more keepers, lost some soft bites, threw back several smaller eyes. Checked Rudy's Reef on the way back to Warroad, didn't see any fish on the graph, kept going, drifted a ways out from the blinker, again nothing. Quit at 6, what a great day to be on the pond.

greggh

Going to Lake of the Woods for the first time. Staying at a Rainy river motel just a few blocks from the Lake. Noice fisherman. Interested in fishing primarily walleyes,also pike, panfish or bass. Advice on where/how to fish, bait appreciated. My 70 year old friend will have 40 hp boat, fish locator and GPS. Preferrs worms or leeches for walleyes

Thanks

Gregg

Hi Gregg and welcome to the family.  Your motel operator will have pretty much all the areas to fish and last minute instructions.  Here are some things you can do in advance. Have an anchor that will hold your boat in a decent wind and at LEAST 100 feet of rope.  You dont say when your trip is but if it is in June you will want to anchor up and jig with either live or dead frozen shiners, or chub minnows.  Leeches might work ok but if you want to use the best bait day in and day out use the shiners alive or frozen.  3/8th ounce jigs in orange, gold or pink and your ready to do your best.  Remember a good anchor and 100 feet of rope at least.

Have a great trip

Edited by curt quesnell
Adding information..

fiskyknut

I fished the last 2 afternoons..

As Kingfisher mentioned water was a bit silty on Wednesday after the days of big winds.

Wednesday launched at Springsteel and ran 8.5 miles to a little rockpile middle of nowhere. First trip over the top I get a 27.5'r, second pass I get a 18.5'r. Both of these came on Leeches and my favorite color smiley blade. 2 more drifts with nothing and my buddy gets on radio and talks with his brother who says they're catching out near the S-tip. Against my better judgement we go there only to catch dinks!! We did box 6 or 7 smallish keepers out there anyhow, most came on Fatheads, a few on Crawlers.

Thursday dropped boat in at Swift and head for above mentioned rockpile.. Controlled drift downwind over it then backtroll back upwind over it. Water noticeably cleaner than day before. Got fishes right away boxing 3 good 16-17 inch fat Walters in about 45 minutes of doing that, threw back a half dozen dinkers as well. Decide to drop the anchor of the edge of the rocks. Bingo, we spent 2 hours hoisting Saugers left and right with a smallish Walleye mixed in at about a 10 to 1 ratio. Filled the limit with 15 inch Saugers, 5 or 6 of them going 16-17 inches. Wind died and so did the bite!!

Think I will dust off the trolling gear for the next trip maybe??

Regards....fiskyknut

srj

Hey Kingfisher, watched for your Lund on Wednesday but hardly saw any boats anywhere. I was on 12 mile in mid-afternoon and found a pretty good bunch but they were way on top. Only a few midgets in the deeper stuff. A few nice fish on Arnesens but overall slow. The water was seriously dirty! And way worse off to the east. Hopefully the lighter winds will let it clean up soon. The radio chatter sounded like some were catching, some were not out of Warroad up to south tip. Good you found some.

It was pretty interesting off the Morris Gap. Still quite a bit of water washing out there and a big plume of clean water out to 20' or so. And lots of fish using it. Big bite Wed evening and lots of boats by Thursday morning. Even Zipples blue Sportcraft was in there. Quite a mud line beyond 20' but looked to be lessening by afternoon when the wind went down. Sure changes things when it dirties up. Most charters seemed to be up north in the islands.

• Thumbs Up 1

srj

Fisky, might be back up solo on Mon/Tues. Maybe give me a jingle on Sunday?

Kingfisher

Good to hear the water is clearing up, and that you guys got into some nice fish, trying to get something going for Mon or Tues, and Friday.

fiskyknut

Roger that Jorgie..

Will call Sunday, probably from the water.

Chit just did'nt work out for me to get over your way unfortuanatly this last time.

Soon though!

Norm