• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

ifishwalleye

I’m heading up for the weekend. Looking for a fresh report. 

Thanks

srj

Fished Wednesday and today. Weds was pretty good from the field to Long Pt. Scattered pods of fish, fro 10' to 28'. The spinner bite is starting....about my favorite method.  Bigger fish were shallower.

Today in the hurricane, I pulled cranks in 12 -18' on the Canadian side. Not hot and heavy, but a decent bite. Go away wind.

Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

Hoey

Wow - 7 days of posts gone.  Seems like more than that.  Oh-well.  My next trip is a week and a half away.

• Thumbs Up 1

DRAGFOOT
28 minutes ago, Hoey said:

Wow - 7 days of posts gone.  Seems like more than that.  Oh-well.  My next trip is a week and a half away.

Me too, going up for the week of July 4th for cabin projects and fishing and maybe some trail riding on the SxS. Oh, maybe some R&R and Coors Light too.

• Thumbs Up 1

PRO-V

Dragfoot, where do you go trail riding up there? South of Roosevelt?

DRAGFOOT
14 hours ago, PRO-V said:

Dragfoot, where do you go trail riding up there? South of Roosevelt?

I haven't done it too much to this point, still trying to find my way around. All I have done so far is go from my place at Wabanica Bay to Pitt and then took the Pitt grade 20 miles in or so.  I've also covered all of the dirt roads around there.

• Thanks 1

PRO-V

Thanks Dragfoot. I've been around those roads, Faunce to Norris Camp area. Just seeing if there was anything I was missing.

ifishwalleye

Hi, I’m looking for a recent report. Thank you in advance!

Hoey

I have not fished since Father's Day weekend, so I have nothing to offer.  By the end of this coming weekend, that will change.  Yippie!!!  Happy Fourth!!!

Razzle

Fished up at the angle over the weekend.  Pounded the eyes with spinners and half a crawler or gulp leech.  Any humps in big water is where we found fish.  18 - 26 feet.  Gold was the best color, orange and chartruese also caught fish.  28" was the biggest.

• Thumbs Up 4

ifishwalleye

Hi, I’m looking for a fresh report for this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

Good Fishing!

fisherjmb

My parents were up yesterday and Wednesday and they did pretty good. Out in the mud in about 33-34 feet. Lots of boats were trolling but they did well looking for pods of fish and then spot-locking over the top of them and jigging with leeches and frozen shiners. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Hoey

ifish let us know how it went.  I was up two weeks ago and found fish just about everywhere, mud, reefs, deep and shallow flats.  My next trip is either the later part of this coming weekend or the following.  We have a Friday wedding to attend.  

• Thumbs Up 1

ifishwalleye

We fished N. Of little oak in 25 to 27’ with jigs/leeches. Had limits in a little over 2 1/2 hours. 

I’m heading up on Friday. Probably going to pull some cranks. 

If anyone has some info later in the week it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 2

srj

Very interesting couple days...….good and bad. Got out about 10 ish on Sunday and headed out to the mud where the big school had been a week ago. Gone. Headed deeper, nothing. Off to the NW there were a couple boats. As I got nearer, there was a flotilla! Had to of been 150, maybe 200 or more spread out SE to NW a number of miles NE from Long Pt. Curt had mentioned the large area of LOW there were fish in the deep.  Right on Curt. Most seemed to be bait fishing. I pulled plugs for about an hour and didn't catch any....didn't see any caught either. The fish were much thinner than a week ago but there was likely somewhere they were thick. It was just plain weird seeing so many boats spread out so far in the mud. 

After the hour pulling cranks, I headed north for some rock fishing. It seemed most everyone was south in the pack. One boat on the Knight reefs, 2 out on the Bridges humps fishing very close together...friends no doubt.. That is where the bad came in: the 2 boats on south Bridges. I stopped on middle Bridges which is a very small hump, maybe 50" across the top. I hardly got my line in when one of the 2 boats left S Bridges and headed towards me. I was kind of worried they didn't see me but finally they throttled down and made a circle around me at about 25 feet...maybe 30! WTH? Two guys in a SD boat, a nice white  Ranger 620T  with a 200 Verado. The driver killed the motor to start fishing about 25 feet from me. Three boats on the whole  north side   and you  stop 25 feet away???? I was pulling spinners so that put an end to that. I just pulled up and left. Crazy. I headed to an even smaller hump to the north. About 20 - 30 minutes later, here they come. Same scenario, I couldn't believe it. We had a conversation that didn't include any Minnesota nice. It was 4:30 so I headed back to the shoal and caught a couple of eaters for supper. Had they shown up there, I was going to go into speed trolling mode...….in a rather small circle. They didn't. I don't usually bi tch about other anglers but those guys were something else. All I could think of was they had no self respect.

That takes care of my whine.....still quite a few big fish on the rocks. One odd thing---I caught zero saugers.

Really curious it that bunch of fish in middle is starting to disperse. It was just crazy seeing so many boats out in nowhere land, especially so many bait fishing.

Good luck...………….unless you are the two DH's from South Dakota.

Sorry for the rant

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

Hoey

SRJ - Great report.  Yes unfortunately it happens when others just get too close.  "Miles of open water, no other boats in-sight, and you really need to be on top of me?"  It really makes me shake my head as I will not do this.  Some of the reefs/humps you mention are only the size of two parking lot spots.  You snag up, you pull back to save the tackle, the other boat moves up to block you out.  Like you said, time to move.  

I usually stop 500 feet from my desired location, get lines set, and begin trolling towards my target.  I may get close to another boat, but I am just passing by. 

I have had other boats come roaring up, do a small circle around me, nearly capsizing us, and then mark the center of the circle on their gps, and then off.  

My motto is two-fold, "make my own water,"  i.e. fish where others are not and "you can not find fish unless you find fish."  

I will be fishing Fri and Sat this weekend.  Forecast includes a chance of rain all weekend.  Good Luck!!!

Hoey

Fished some on Friday and Saturday.  Did not go to the mud, stayed more local.  

On Friday we fished a mid-depth reef with spinners and crawlers, nothing,   We pulled tail dancers and shad raps from 20' into 16' along shore, nothing.  We then went into 8' with spinners and crawlers.  Kept 3 over 17", nice dinner. 

Saturday was better.  We went out early due to pending weather, went directly to the 8' water, found a couple there again, kept scouting out to 20', nothing, back to 8 to 10' and ended up with 6 eyes, a fat 16 and 17 with the rest 18 to 19"s.  We pulled our lines out a 1pm.  The weather really did not get going until 11pm or so.  50mph winds, heavy rain (6 10ths total), and 15 minutes of pea to dime-sized hail with little damage.  

• Thumbs Up 2

srj

Fished a couple hours late Tues afternoon, Weds and Thurs morning. Caught supper on Tues pulling leadcore in about 31' out from Zipple. Not the huge schools like a few weeks ago but enough to fish. Weds went rock hopping and found fish on about half the humps, no biggies. Seemed to be an unusual number of very nice boats for a Weds and all pulling leadcore. Good deal for me as I was fishing spinners. Found out that night about the AIM tourney explaining the boat show with the guys prefishing. Thurs morning was out 11 miles from the washout pulling baits in the mud and the bite was pretty good. Again, not the massive numbers seen previously but a good number of biters. The charters were scattered all over the basin with some up north as well. Still a fair number of boats bait fishing out deep.

Sure hate to see summer slipping away.

Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 4

DRAGFOOT
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, srj said:

Fished a couple hours late Tues afternoon, Weds and Thurs morning. Caught supper on Tues pulling leadcore in about 31' out from Zipple. Not the huge schools like a few weeks ago but enough to fish. Weds went rock hopping and found fish on about half the humps, no biggies. Seemed to be an unusual number of very nice boats for a Weds and all pulling leadcore. Good deal for me as I was fishing spinners. Found out that night about the AIM tourney explaining the boat show with the guys prefishing. Thurs morning was out 11 miles from the washout pulling baits in the mud and the bite was pretty good. Again, not the massive numbers seen previously but a good number of biters. The charters were scattered all over the basin with some up north as well. Still a fair number of boats bait fishing out deep.

Sure hate to see summer slipping away.

Good luck.

Summer slipping away means Fall fishing though!

Hoey

Steve - Nice report.  I will be fishing this weekend with high school classmates, our annual trip, then staying around all week toward Labor Day and heading home on Sunday to avoid the heaviest traffic.  I will be bringing my tree equipment and spending a day helping a local retiree with some trimming.  

srj

Sounds like a great time, Hoey. Keeping active with old friends is really important...……….as I have advanced well past "middle age", most of my friends I fished/hunted with have either died or quit the outdoors pursuits. Bummer. However, Thursday I head to Morson with one of my remaining partners to spend a few days at his place at Sportsmans Landing, always a good time. That part of LOW is really fun! Endless rock humps to fish, and little traffic. A couple years ago, I got my bud into jigging raps and similar lures. Big fun jig rappin the sand flats in that area. And usually, we catch a few crappies for a great meal.

One observation  after many years of fishing LOW north and east of Big Traverse involves the rock humps.....anyone with thoughts on this, please weigh in. In big Traverse, the rock bite peaks in July and slowly peters out. There are still good days, but by late August, you have to run and gun to find fish on the rocks. However, in Sabaskong, Little Traverse and areas north and east of Big Traverse, the rock bite stays very strong. On Whitefish Bay, my best rock fishing was the last couple weeks of August. My thought is it is because of the pressure on  the US side and the lack thereof on the Canada side. Opinions?

Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 2

DRAGFOOT

So what's the latest and greatest? Heading up with a buddy after work on Friday for the long weekend, wife and kid staying home. Been way too long since I've been up!

DJ_Slick
On 8/20/2018 at 6:09 PM, srj said:

Sounds like a great time, Hoey. Keeping active with old friends is really important...……….as I have advanced well past "middle age", most of my friends I fished/hunted with have either died or quit the outdoors pursuits. Bummer. However, Thursday I head to Morson with one of my remaining partners to spend a few days at his place at Sportsmans Landing, always a good time. That part of LOW is really fun! Endless rock humps to fish, and little traffic. A couple years ago, I got my bud into jigging raps and similar lures. Big fun jig rappin the sand flats in that area. And usually, we catch a few crappies for a great meal.

One observation  after many years of fishing LOW north and east of Big Traverse involves the rock humps.....anyone with thoughts on this, please weigh in. In big Traverse, the rock bite peaks in July and slowly peters out. There are still good days, but by late August, you have to run and gun to find fish on the rocks. However, in Sabaskong, Little Traverse and areas north and east of Big Traverse, the rock bite stays very strong. On Whitefish Bay, my best rock fishing was the last couple weeks of August. My thought is it is because of the pressure on  the US side and the lack thereof on the Canada side. Opinions?

Good luck.

An interesting observation.  I'd be curious, too.

As summer moves on, we know the fish in Big Traverse usually tend to start cruising the mud flats.  Seems like most of the rocks in Big T aren't surrounded by sand, but mud.  I haven't fished the Canadian side - what is the bottom structure around them like?  If it's sand instead of mud, that could be a difference in holding the fish up on the rocks?  The areas of Little T I've fished didn't seem to have much mud.

Could easily be food source related.

Or water temperature/clarity differences as walleyes seek relief from mid to late summer heat in Big T.  Proximity to cooler/deeper water?  For example, Whitefish is much deeper than Big T and will stay cooler later into the summer.