• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Same thing in our group lots of big fish on Saturday 10 fish over 27 two of which were over 30. Best opener in 9 trips for our group.

Wow what an opener the number off big fish was amazing, can't remember an opener with so many 28"-30" fish. One thing I will say where else in minnesota even comes close. The really cool thing is the number of males that are still in the river all the way to Birchdale. Tons of fish up river mostly 15"-18" males but the fishing should hold very well for longer than normal before they make there way to the sand or mud in the main lake. Hope you all had a great weekend also its lookin like we're in for a boomer year. Really hope they hit the sand good and hard this year, geuss we'll see if the shiners come shallow or hang on the mud. good luck all and happy motoring

I would like to add to my previous report, The majority of the "keepers" we boated were males. I was holding a fish for a photo that was 27 inches and it was spewing sperm all over my raincoat, I always thought males only got to be so big? Only 2 of the "big ones" had some eggs in them...what a day to remember.

Hey guys I am bring the kids over to rocky this weekend, anybody have any info on where to try, or what to use. Thanks any info would be great! good luck and get the big one!!

Hey guys I am bring the kids over to rocky this weekend, anybody have any info on where to try, or what to use. Thanks any info would be great! good luck and get the big one!!

Try this....

DSC00064.jpg

Or these with a SHINER....

DSC00052.jpg

I'm arriving in Sioux Narrows on June 6th.

Just wondering if it has been an early, late, normal spring\ice out, where the water levels are, & how the weather's been.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Its been a very late spring, water temps on the big traverse part of the lake have been 40-43 degrees as of yesterday. The warmest Canadian water that i have seen was 45.3. To sum it all up its been a very cold late spring, but the walleye fishing has been very good on the 4 mile bay and rainy river areas. Good luck and have fun

go out of the harbor and go right over to the breaks closer to shore. and drag a bottom bouncer and shiner on a bigg gammi

Just got back from Sioux Narrows. Water temps are low to mid 40's. As C. Ford stated, cold and late spring. Ice out was about a week later than average.

Fishing was slow. 2 and a half days and 4 trout, 2 guys. Fun when you get them though! I would think early June, you would still be able to find them without downrigging.

How deep were you getting the trout? We usually troll cranks on leadcore & get them 25-35 feet down over 75-100 FOW when we are up there in the first or second week in June.

We stay up north of Sioux Narrows on Berry Lake.

Spent the last 2 days fishin up north, and who would of thunk it great bite and lots of big fish. With the water so cold I was pleasently surprised. The oak island area was the best with water a little bit warmer. Not good with pics have to figure out how to get them up and on here. But if youre lookin for a boat ride and love the quiet,serene and fishin without many boats around ( the best thing about the north) give it a shot you wont be dissapointed. You cant beat fun for a good time

Go figure, water temp on the opener was around 40 degrees

just a day or two after ice out and fishing was about as good

as it can get in the the Gaps and the river on the east side

of the lake. Water temp is one of the pieces of the puzzle but

many other factors come into play......I wish I knew what they

were.

Ya that makes two off us Curt, makes me wonder how many of the fish that spawn in the lake will have problems this year. We sure have had a good start to things though, the river,gaps,twin isles the angle all very good, just really hope the post spawn period doesnt go on till the middle of July. I guess We'll all find out. Thanks for the info Curt, take care and have fun.

Hey Chris How many years has it been? I have not seen you in awhile. Good to hear your doing your own thing!

Bob

What is the best way to hook a shiner? Is it though the mouth (both lips) or at the dorsel fin? I remember when I was a kid that the fin was the only way I only knew how to hook them. Thanks Jeff

Trolling threw both lips I beleive good luck wish I was there!!!

We got them one when we were coming up on 9 f.o.w. and the other 3 in 25ish. That was May 18....the second week of June, I'd be doing what you explained.

If you are trolling, you may want to go through the mouth out of the gill and then through the body.

Hey Bob good to hear ferom you. Ya I dont get around Ballards at all anymore fish out of Zippel and Rocky most of the time doing ok tahe care and look out for shallow spots Chris

Happy Memorial Day, Just got back from the angle late last nite off day today, wich is ok real rainy and cool up here again. Fishing was excellent lots of fish with a real good mix of size wich is good to see. Good numbers of 15"-18" fish with some slot fish mixed in 28.75" was the biggest we saw over the weekend. Water temps are on the rise wich I like to see, get things rockin for the bass and musky. Fish we're kinda spread out as far as depth goes. In the morning they went well for us in 12-14ft late morning was better 18-23 and the afternoon was best in 23-30 on the gradual slopes. Spent most of our time around oak found more fish there than anywhere. Talked to a couple of other guides I know and the Canadian water is rockin, the shorline bite is very good right now. The guys i talked to that fish the gaps and 4-mile our still anchored and jiggin and doing well. Stay dry and good luck.

Just got back! Had a good weekend and the weather was great! Fishing was medium, we were anchored in 4 mile bay and it was consistant but a little slower than opener hehehe. Fished out front of Pine with slower than exspected results... went back to the bay and finished there. Cant wait to go back and do it again!

Fished 4 mile bay and the north end of pine island. First timer at L.O.W. The fishing was steady and had better luck fishing the morning in the mouth of the Rainy. Was wondering why nobody was fishing the canadian side? Somebody told me that you have to stay in Canada to fish over there is this true?

No thats not true, you dont have to stay in Canada. You need a remote border pass or you can call in at the angle and dont forget your fishing license and outdoor card for Ont. Sure wish we could get a call in station on wheelers point always wonder why there isnt when theres 3 call boxes at the angle. The reason you dont see many boats over there now is mainly because the ontario limit is two and zero tolerance for alchol in the boat. The limit is a big deal for alot of people. But once you fish the islands you will always go back if youre in to just good fishin

thanks for correction C ford I will have to get a border pass/license next time.

Had a great weekend at the lake. Fished twin islands and gull rock reef with sucsess at both. Few more numbers at twin, better size at gull. 4 fish in the slot, 21,22,24, and a 27. Anchored in 26' 1/4 oz white or green jigs with a minnow was best.

We just got back from our annual trip to the Angle. We fish Ontario from Big Narrows to Lily. Water temps were anywhere from 48-56. The fish were very spread out. We caught some in 10 fow outside shallow weedy bays and some in 30 fow off of rocky points. Many small-medium sized fish with a 25" being the biggest. Chartruse spinners with crawlers seemed to work best with jigs and gulp also catching a few.

Thanks for the posts C. Ford and Chirofish. Our annual trip up there isn't until June 11th. It is fun to see posts, it just makes it harder to wait to get up there. Have you guys ever gotten into any crappies up there? We caught some last winter and would love to find some this summer.

Thanks again,

Tully