• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Lets just hope the fish turn on and start biting the first week in March. Because that is when I will be up there. We travel in portables and snowmobiles though. So our odds go up with being mobile and drilling alot of holes.

If telling people the the fishing is horrible and suggesting that they stay home inflences one group, I have a problem with that. That opinion is not welcome.

Glad others are on board as well.

This forum is dedicatd to fishing reports. And everyone is entitled to an opinion. Whether to stay home or someone telling you to stay home. You will just have to take that advice as you will. There is alot of people that fish the lake regularly ang give out the good bad and ugly reports of if they are catching or not. It is up to each individual to decide if they are going to travel there or not.

Good luck to everyone that gets to go up and fish as I am unfortunately working in southern OK and will not get to ice fish anymore this season. frown

Would you rather be lied to about the current success on LOW?

If I was undecided on making a 5-6 hour drive one way and the money was tight enough that this was going to be my only vacation for the year, I would want an honest fishing report. Not one that profits the resorts.

I live an hour away and go to LOW almost every weekend. The "catching" is definately not what keeps me coming back.

Am I going back this weekend? I plan to.

Do I expect to catch enough fish to feed me for the weekend? No.

Do I hope this will be the weekend to remember? Everytime.

The bite can change at any moment but on average it is way down compared to previous years.

In addition... how many big fish does it take to make a weekend? One..

I'll take a weekend of no fish and one big fish anyday... LOW always offers that chance...

marine_man

That's part of the reason I'm going back. grin

I have lots of other adventures that have nothing to do with fishing or catching while at LOW.

I'm just saying if someone asked me if I wanted to drive an hour to sit in a portable all day with how the catching "has" been, I would pass.

We are all entitled to an opinion and the freedom to express it maxpower117. You can take it or leave it but you still must allow it.

As stated, we are all allowed to have our opinion, and I (hopefully) expect the reports I read on here not to be sugar coated as to how the fishing has been, and I agree with anyone who states that it's tough to justify the cost and time when the season has been this tough. Our group understands that the fishing will be hit or miss, but 1 of the big reasons we travel 7 hours to LOW is because it's a ritual, I get to spend quality time with 1 of my brothers and a great group of friends that I don't have the luxury of seeing that often, I respectfully "agree" with both sides of this issue, and neither are 100% correct, it's good to balance out what works best for YOU, and feel confident in your decision....just my 2 cents.

C'mon guys. 2 full pages of comments now containing all of ONE actual report, under the "report" thread.

Please let it go and let's get back to real reports. Thanks paceman.

I agree.

One keeper last weekend & only a couple throw backs by Arnesens reef. I had a house full of kids so it was tough to move. We still enjoyed the weekend.

I hope to try my luck again this coming weekend. Maybe the change in weather patterns will help.

Good luck guys!

I think everyone should be able to voice their opinions. I think that a lot of resorts do sugar coat reports and I know that overall fishing has been slower this year. Also keep in mind this is a sponsored website that will promote and protect their sponsors.

The two trips I have taken to LOW this year have been good trips, both were fairly early ice. I get to fish a lot around home and catch plenty of fish (I am single with no kids). So going to LOW is more of a vacation for me and a chance to hang out with friends for a few days. I always hope that the fishing is good, but sometimes it isn't. I have been to LOW ice fishing 10 times in the last 7 years. The only trip I have regretted going on was last year when we stayed at a resort with very poor service.

The first trip was out of Sportsman's Sleepers and the fishing wasn't very good. We hardly caught any walleyes, but we caught quite a few saugers. We had a good time ate plenty of fish and brought some home. We also caught some pout and a 38 inch northern.

The second trip was with Lake Road Lodge and the fishing was great. We didn't limit out either day, but we caught 7 fish over 24 inches in two days of fishing. We brought home more than enough fish to eat. We didn't catch 100 pp each day, but I am fine with not worrying about releasing a ton of smaller eyes and saugers in deep water.

If you are going to LOW and have to catch of ton of fish to have a successful trip I suggest that you go during prime times of the year. Go early ice or go later in the year. If you go later in the year go with a resort that will put in the extra work to get on the fish. Some resorts will haul houses up to the reefs if the fish are there to make sure their customers are catching fish while others will stay in the mud because that don’t want put their equipment through the extra wear and tear, deal with the extra cost, or hassle. The other option is to bring your own gear and get away from the crowds and be mobile.

Fish prime times of the year for a better success rate. December....early ice. March.... late ice. It will be your best chance at getting on fish. And you will have less chance of wasting that 5 hours of drive time and money on a resort to bring you out fishing. But your always going to roll the dice when fishing that far away. I go to Lake Winnipeg each year. Never knowing what to expect. But there is nowhere on earth where you have a better chance at getting a trophy walleye. You fish/hunt because you never know what can happen.

Who are you to say an opinion isn't welcome!! Every opinion is welcome even if YOU don't agree with it. I have a fishhouse up at LOW and get up there every chance I can. Fishing is dismal this year compared with other years, but that doesn't influence my fishing there. But some people probably appreciate an honest report, especially if money is tight. If you have the money to make repeated trips, LOW is certainly worth it. Always a chance for a big fish or a memorable bite. Don't slam someone for their opinion. The resorts will be fine either way. They get plenty of business.

Well I geuss it depends if a person comes up to LOW for the fishing or the catching. All my friends come up for the fishing. Everyone has a right to thier opinion. Last weekend we kept 9 fish on Sat. and 6 on Sun., all sauger. Sunday the wife and I only fished for 4 hours. Good luck to all.

Who are you to say an opinion isn't welcome!! Every opinion is welcome even if YOU don't agree with it. I have a fishhouse up at LOW and get up there every chance I can. Fishing is dismal this year compared with other years, but that doesn't influence my fishing there. But some people probably appreciate an honest report, especially if money is tight. If you have the money to make repeated trips, LOW is certainly worth it. Always a chance for a big fish or a memorable bite. Don't slam someone for their opinion. The resorts will be fine either way. They get plenty of business.

I apologize. I guess my opinion isn't welcome.

Stayed with Sportsman's sleepers Monday thru Wednesday. Not fast and furious, but, we managed 8 slot fish between the wife and I, a 2 person limit of nice eater 'eyes, four nice sauger, 2 'pout(one was 31 inches!), and a bunch of tullibees for the smoker!

Definitley not the hottest bite, but, I was happy!

Im heading to LOW for my first time. I was wondering if anyone could help me out on what kind of equipment I need, like rod and line size also lures and jigs. Will my standard auger be long enough or should I get an extension. Im going for mostly Walleye and may try for some crappies.

Thanks for the help

24" med action rood spooled with 6-8# line. Water is dirty so the fish won't see your string anyway.

No cameras.

Flashers are very useful but not needed.

Standard augers must be getting close in places. I'm not sure??? Probably fine in a portable. I never take my 18" extention off.

No crappie fish unless you are going to the angle.

Hit some of the local bait shops & get something that glows or has gold on it. From there on out, whatever catches your eye for lures.

Good luck!

I barely made it through without an extension last weekend, but my house is blocked up 5 or 6 inches. If you have one I would bring it just in case. I would imagine the ice varies from place to place.

I come up for the fishing. Even if I anticipate it will be slow, it's still worth it. I simply meant that some people have to travel a distance and an honest report might be beneficial to them. Last weekend was slow, but I had the good fortune of enjoying a good friend's company.

Coming in in mid march staying at arnesons is it worth bringing a tip up and throwing out a shiner or sucker for a pike? Or do you typical fish other spot to do that?

Thanks

Red or gold and pink buckshot rattling spoons, lindy flyers, macho minnows in the same colors. The pink charmer is pretty famous out there for a good bite. Hot tamales, stop signs. Pretty much whatever you put down there when the fish are around is going to get bit. Some jigs are better then others and some colors do better then others but i dont think you would have to go nuts buying jigs. I use 8 lb test and use med to med light rods. Good luck its a great fishery.

We are getting ready for our annual trip next weekend... I've read a ton of bad fishing reports. Has it really been slow all around this year? Any weekend in the ice is a good one, but its a big investment and long drive to not catch fish.

Love to hear success stories if anyone has one!

It has been slower than past years, even in Dec when I was up was not a typical Dec. Riverbend has been having some success, but one day to the next who knows. Just got back from Red, we caught fis but slower than our January trip. It can be a tough call with a 5 hr drive. Good luck if you make the trip.

Can't catch any if you don't go right? I can't see canceling an annual trip because fishing isn't as good as last year.

That's about what it amounts to.

A buddy of mine was up on the NW anlge of lake of the woods and killed them. Someone in his group also got a 30 inch 11 pound walleye. If the weather is consistent you will have a good bite. Good luck to you. I will be up first week in March!!!!! Excited to see what happens. last year my good buddy caught a 30 incher that he mounted. Hopefully we can get another!!!!

Fished a couple of hours yesterday by Oak and picked up 12-14 nice walleyes. Action was steady as we missed a bunch. Am going to go out today as fishing here has been steady all year.

I think one thing you have to consider...slow for lake of the woods is still probably much better than most other lakes smile Conditions permitting, I'll be up there the 3rd week of march.