• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

We fished the river and gap on Friday. In the river all we were catching were 2 to 4 pound Northerns. We moved to the gap protetcting ourselves from the 30 mph winds and ended up putting 8 keepers in the bucket. Saturday we had a 3/4 inch of ice stuck to our vehicles so we called it a season. The walleyes are out in the gap waiting for first ice!

• 2 weeks later...

Was up by the lake this weekend. The Rainy river was open yesterday and froze up last night. 4 mile bay is frozen as far as you can see. Some rough ice in front of Wigwam from the wind the past few days. Drove out to the point in Warroad and the lake is frozen as far as I could see but with it snowing out it was hard to tell how much was frozen as I could not make out Springsteel. Again there was rough ice but could not tell how far out it went.

Nice report jkb!

As the weather starts to turn, our anxious LOTW ice dreams start turning into reality. Sooner than later we'll all be enjoying successful days on the ice.

Please use this topic for ice, snow and road conditions on LOTW throughout the hard water season.

Good luck to all this winter! Be safe.

With the recent cold snap, I got out today with a goal of spearing somewhere on a LOTW tributary. Since ice reports were few and far between I decided to make the drive and check things out for myself.

My firt stop was at Zipple Bay. From the State Park marina, I found 5" of ice. The entire bay is frozen except for the channel right at the inlet to the lake. Solid 5" everywhere I checked. Ice was clear and smooth. Since this was my first stop, I decided not to set up so I could check on the usual suspects to the East.

Zipple Bay ice block:

IMG_2482-1.jpg

Stopped at Morris Point next. They had staged a few spear houses on shore in their bay but didn't have any on the ice. Sounded like they had some spearing clients coming in this week. While the bay was frozen, the lake was wide open. Normal 100 yard frazil ice band out from shore. The rocks and picnic tables tell the tale of the recent NW winds. The resort mentioned that if we get some calm nights there could POTENTIALLY be walk-out fishing in a week.

Morris Point:

IMG_2494b.jpg

Headed over to Wheeler's Point. As jkb mentioned, the entire river and 4 mile bay is iced over.

Rainy River:

IMG_2498b.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

4 Mile Bay:

IMG_2501b.jpg

Temps look favorable for the next week - let's just hope the wind quiets down enough to lock it up. Crossing my fingers for walkable walleye ice next weekend!

Please remember that these are only MY first hand accounts from today - a lot can change in a short time. The resorts are the experts and will communicate when it is time for the masses to start fishing. I had an ice itch that needed to be scratched, and hopefully this sheds some light on what the conditions are today.

Cool great effort Vman thank, how do ya all thing the churned up lake is gonna effect clarity this winter? silt settles alot slower in fridged temps, just would hate to have another year like we did about 7 years ago when te lake got chrned up so bad your jig dissapeered 3 feet below the ice.

how do ya all thing the churned up lake is gonna effect clarity this winter? silt settles alot slower in fridged temps, just would hate to have another year like we did about 7 years ago when te lake got chrned up so bad your jig dissapeered 3 feet below the ice.

Hard to say at this point. I was on the open water for the last time 11/4 and it was pretty churned up, but the bite was still good. It was pretty dirty the weekend before that at Long Point as well.

I could see the bottom in 5' of water in Zipple Bay while spearing yesterday, but I'd have to guess that is quite a bit different than what the South shore of the lake looks like.

Any first hand reports from the 11/18 weekend? Had to be guys out in boats last Sunday with the unseasonably warm weather.

On Friday afternoon, Rocky Pt to the west was ice as far as you could see. To the north, couple miles out was open water with small corn flakes moving up and down with the rollers.

Saturday morning, ice in all directions. By mid-day, a crack had opened up a couple miles out across the point in all directions.

We need calm winds and low temps to get her locked up!!!

funny I didn't see this and just posted the URL sat pic in that forum. LOTW looks mostly open to me except the 3 main bays at least I hope so cause that looks like it would be some rough ice on the main lake. Love to hear some new local reports. It's looking like a great season start. Hopefully the snow will stay away like most of last year.

"Hopefully the snow will stay away like most of last year"

Hey there, be careful what you wish for. If it gets really cold for an extended period of time with no snow, that could be bad news! I appreciate the ice and the snow as well, but last years winter in general did no good for most people, in fact, many people depend on the snow for their livlihood. We were fortunate it didnt get too cold and freeze up peoples water and sewer systems. I'll take the snow, just give me some good ice first.

Never though about that. One of my buddies had busted pipes last year for that reason. He also live in a mobile home and had bad insulation though. Ok so I wish for no snow on the ice, maybe just enough to give you some traction, and a good 3-4 feet inland.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I would assume if there was open water, the lake would look black or dark blue (similar to lakes down south). Too me, the 3 bays had ice when it snowed, so that's why they appear white, and the main body doesnt have as much snow.

What appears as rough ice looks like it might be light cloud cover over the lake, but again, I'm no expert.

Word on the street is, Morris Point is possibly allowing foot traffic tomorrow. If that's the case, I'd assume the lake was completely froze up yesterday. Just my 2c

Called morris point this morning, they have a 25 foot crack in front of the resort. They are open for spearing and tip ups so far.

Sure don't need the problems we had last year with the big crack. Lets keep our fingers crossed for some low temps. going to be up near 40 here for a few days starting Friday, and then downward again......

BUTT-OLD weather? well that dosent sound very fun dose it now. As long as wen can get to the secrete spot bill alls fine.

Oops! how 'bout Butt-cold. Darn c didn't work. Just hope I can find 'em when I come up at the end of December!

Good luck and be safe!!!!

Boar I like that secret spot its where I am going!!it is on my gps I think. hope to be up dec 15th

Above freezing temps & wind coming this weekend. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't have the lake bust up again like last year.

Sportsman's Lodge Report:

11/30/2012

Current Ice Conditions Lake of the Woods Four Mile Bay/Pine Island Area

The guides were out this morning checking ice. They found that Four Mile Bay (they bay we use to get out onto the lake to fish) had anywhere from 3-6 inches of ice. On the lake just on the north side of Pine Island they ventured a few hundred yards out and found 2-5 inches. The lesser amounts were found where the snow has drifted. It is coming along! If you are looking to venture out on the ice on your own, we are only advising foot traffic on Four Mile Bay and Morris Point’s Bay at this time until we get some colder temps. Know where you are going! Please keep in mind the entire lake and river is not treated equally and we only check the areas that we travel and fish. Stay safe and get your gear ready! Ice Fishing Season 2012-2013 will start soon!

Weather forecast says we are going to get a warm shot of weather Saturday & Sunday and then cool down again Monday. At this point we still have Dec 8 as a start date in our sights, but will know more next week after we venture out again and see how the weather shakes out. We will be checking ice again Monday or Tuesday so stay tuned for more information then.

Snow

We received a half inch of snow last night. We currently have 2-4 inches on the ground now. Snowmobile trails are closed at this time.

A couple of us made it out on Saturday. Walked out and ended up fishing a few hours in the morning and evening on the Rainy, a ways South of the main strip of resorts. Got out to 14-16' of water and caught some fish - 3 over 20" and ended up with 6 eaters around the 16-18" range. A few perch and a few small walleyes as well. It wasn't on fire, but we were ice fishing.

Ice on the river ranged from 2"-6". All the reports of uneven ice under snow banks is definately spot on. A few places are still relatively sketchy. Sounds like there are a few people fishing the river around the Airport, around Baudette Bay and East of town a bit.

Ate lunch at Morris Point and observed a lot of groups pike fishing/spearing in their bay. Water sounded pretty dirty and pike reports were limited. Guys were running ATV's on the bay.

After lunch we ran over to Graceton to check the ice. There was a group out between Graceton and Morris Point, and another group out between Graceton and Zipple Bay. Chisseled out about 1/2 mile and found pretty good ice, around 6" give or take, where it was clear. Still uneven under the snow. Somebody had been out from the beach earlier in the morning as I found some chissled holes but we didn't fish.

Hoping the winds are light so we don't get any ice shifting and that the temps this week are cold enough to even out the ice for consistant travel. It was in the mid-30's here this weekend so we didn't get extreme warmth but it definately isn't helping. Even though we braved it, it's extremely at your own risk and travel of any type is still not advised. Hoping to hear some good news from the resort experts mid week.

Suppose to drop in temps gradually thru the week an be a high of 22 by the weekend, but we all no how that gose. Good luck terry let me know how ya do on the secrete spot with the secrete cordinates. Ya have to bring lots of shinners. Good luck bud

42 degrees this morning in the Roseau area.

What a nail biter, come on jack frost, help a guy out...