• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Sat and Sun should be fine but not guarenteed. Start watching very close by Mon/Tue. It is already starting to honeycomb and a couple of days of 70 degrees is not going to do it any good. Stay safe.

Sat and Sun should be fine but not guarenteed. Start watching very close by Mon/Tue. It is already starting to honeycomb and a couple of days of 70 degrees is not going to do it any good. Stay safe.

Really? I was out last night and no where that I was did I see it was starting to honeycomb.

Got more reports. Ice is still holding water on the east side in some places. Talked a person who has a place at Springsteel and he found some honeycombed ice there yesterday. Could be just the difference in the way it froze, there has been better ice on the east side all year.

Could be. Yes 90% of the water was gone. Most water that was left was around that pressure ridge. I was out anout 2 miles from shore.

we are coming up the 29- the 1st. were gonna ice fish but now we are bringing boats. will any of the lake be open by pine island or will we have to fish rainy?

There is a chance that if it keeps opening like it has been and if the temps stay up, it will be open along ways, quite possibly to the lake. Just have to wait and see how the weather cooperates...

A group of us got out Friday evening and all day Saturday.

We landed at Morris Point on Friday and headed towards the island. There were quite a few people set up in 14-24', more than I expected for 72 degree temps, just East of the Morris Gap. We set up in 17' right out from the island, catching 3 keepers and +15 6-8" walleye. There was a lot of standing/walking around by the other groups out there as well as I'm assuming the bite was slow for most.

We started in 14' directly in front of the Morris Gap yesterday morning with not much to show for it. Moved to 24' and caught 1 keeper. Moved out next to the Canadian border in 27' and kept 3. Since we couldn't get on the fish on the East side of the lake we loaded up and headed West.

Landed at Arenesons's and headed to the reef's NE of Gull Rock. It wasn't a fast and furious day by any means but we did end up with a 4 man limit of nice walleye/sauger plus four perch. No slot fish either day. We did the best in about 35' of water.

Talked to a few groups out of the Rocky Point area with pretty dismal results. Heard from a co-worker that the bite out of Morris Point was really slow for them, similar to our results. We eeked out some fish but it wasn't like it can be this time of the year.

We measured 22" of ice right in front of the Gap yesterday morning. Measured 30" out past Gull Rock. The ice was pretty dark and starting to get crumbly. Arneson's pulled their houses and bridge yesterday afternoon.

Great day on the ice weather-wise yesterday. When we got about 100 yards from shore the temperature had to have risen by at least 20 degrees. Even though it's 70 on land, the ice kept the air over the lake pretty cool.

goosemafia better plan on fishing in the boat just got back today and ice is going fast! we were out of morris point access wasn't to bad but it sounded like they were going to shut it down shortly. thurs. and fri. morn ice was good just the top 6 to 7" was bad but byfri. afternoon my strkemaster blazed through in no time you really had to hang on to it!at least the wind was down on sat. and the fog didn't clear till about 3 so the light penetration wasn't as bad as fri. fishing was pretty good 26" biggest ate fish and came home with our limit. we were out by pine island in 21 feet. let go plenty of slot fish

Was out Thur-Sat. Morris Pt and Long Island. Fishing was okay. Ice was honeycombing on top a bit, but otherwise 3ft of good ice. Goosemafia I'd fish the river and forget about the lake if I was you. Ice still in up by the lake, don't know what it would be like trying to land a bigger boat. Saw one dock being put in just up river of Baudette. Plenty of guys taking small boats out now from what I saw driving back this morning.

we are coming up the 29th. is there any chance the lake will be open to pine island or should we just plan on fishing the river.

The bay should be open to the gap by then. It even looks open on the satelitte photo from yesterday but is hard to tell. River is opening fast.

Thanks for the reply jkb. I knew hard water was over, just hoping it is open water fishing on the main lake soon!!

there were guys outside the gap yesterday but the wind switched and pushed the ice back in.

If a guy was to take the boat out before the season closes, what type of structure/area would you target. this would be around rocky point area since family has a trailer there. On the opener we normally have good success jigging near twin islands. Last year we had great luck drifting spinners w/ minnows by lambertsons rock. Would these area be good mid april or would the reefs be worth a shot?

It will be the very end of the season before you can get out of RP or LP. There is still a lot of ice out there and it is moving around. Depends on the weather and how fast it melts. You might have to trailer to the river. Probably your best bet.

I was planning for the 13/14th. Hope the ice will be gone by then. Is the main sheet broke up yet?

it is not broken up yet but has pulled away from the shores. Have not been able to see a good view from the satellite in the past few days.

I spent the past week at Rocky Pt. The ice sheet was moving with the wind, in and out. On Friday, Rocky Pt was locked in with ice out about 300 yards. All water from there to 3/4 of the way to Buffalo Point and clearly water to 12 mile reef. So a couple more days.....

I spent the past week at Rocky Pt. The ice sheet was moving with the wind, in and out. On Friday, Rocky Pt was locked in with ice out about 300 yards. All water from there to 3/4 of the way to Buffalo Point and clearly water to 12 mile reef. So a couple more days.....

My inlaws were up there this weekend and said the water is very low. Did you notice the same? If that 3rd rock over by twin rocks is sticking out this year I should go put a buoy on it! (I'm pretty sure your the nice guy that pulled me in after I found that rock with my lower unit)

Walleye 4 Me,

Thanks for remembering that day....

The lake is very low, maybe 18 inches or so or more. That 3rd rock (ouch) was already visible on breezy days late last summer, so I am sure it is showing its destructive self at this water level.

We were able to drive the 4-wheeler out from shore about 150 yards or so from the Beach at Rocky Point.

We were able to drive the 4-wheeler out from shore about 150 yards or so from the Beach at Rocky Point.

Hope you were on the ice. Fun as it may be, you do realize that riding your ATV in the water/on the lake bottom is illegal, right?

From page 8 of the OHV regulations:

Public waters where OHVs may not ride include: below the ordinary

high-water level of unfrozen lakes, rivers, and streams; certain wetlands; or in calcareous fens. The inventory of public waters can be viewed on DNR’s website; DNR Waters and Fisheries offices; and various county offices.

From page 16:

Where You May NOT Ride

Also see specific sections for additional restrictions.

You may not operate an off-highway vehicle:

• on the median of a four-lane highway

• within the right-of-way of any interstate highway or freeway

• on the right-of-way between opposing lanes of traffic

• on grant-in-aid snowmobile trails

• on designated non-motorized trails

• at airports

• below the ordinary high-water level of unfrozen public waters that are lakes, streams, rivers, and certain wetlands, or in calcareous fens

• on any frozen public waters where you don’t have legal access or where it is prohibited

• in any area restricted by local ordinances or municipalities, including streets

• in a tree nursery or planting area on state forest lands that are posted or designated closed to motorized uses (see pages 19-23)

• on agricultural land without permission (see page 26)

• in most state parks, state recreation areas, state historic sites, wildlife management areas*, state scientific and natural areas with the exception of posted trails and areas.

*OHV use is prohibited on wildlife management areas, except OHVs that are licensed highway motor vehicles may be operated on established roads at speeds up to 20 miles per hour in the following WMA’s: Carlos Avery, Hubbel Pond, Mille Lacs, Red Lake, Roseau River and Thief Lake.