• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

The snow depth wasnt really that bad, but we saw several trucks get stuck working off trail. This was Friday and Saturday. The warm temps yesterday had to destroy the snow considerably, but my worry now is the overnight temps will not allow for a refreeze so things will be a mess quickly.

Fishing wise we did very well.

We were way away from the crowds in 32' and limited out. Huge fish fry Friday night eating everything we caught that day and set out for day two of the adventure.

There were four of us and 2 of us could have had our limit by 2 on Saturday, but intentially threw back "keeper" fish to get the larger walleyes. Less walleyes this time, but some real nice sauger.Over the two days we fished we caught 3 walleyes over 25", a half dozen or so tullibees, a couple eelpout, 4 of the fattest perch I have ever seen, and a 30" pike that desperately needs a diet (probably close to 10# if not more).

We would get fish suspended frequently throughout the day. Our bite didnt really pick up until 10 (well, we wcouldnt get out there until 9 or so) and last for an hour, then it would die off for an hour or so and pick up at 1:00. The other two guys had a harder time getting their fish than we did Saturday, but still scratched out their limits before the day was out.

We left with our 4 limits of fish, but we didnt get limits of walleyes so the limits were filled with sauger (probably 10 walleyes out of our 32 fish limit for 4 guys). I tried finding this 29' hump that shows up on the navionics app in the middle of nowhere, but I guess it doesnt exist, otherwise we were really fishing nothing special.

CaptainMusky,

Thanks for the report. I am trying to decide if I should bring the 4 wheeler or sled for the upcoming weekend.

Which road did you go out on?

Thanks again.

We too had very similar stuff from Wed afternoon to Sunday. Lots of moving, from rocks to points, to gaps, to flats. We had bodies on all and we threw the lot at them. We caught plenty of fish, and a few nice low 20" fish, with the biggest at 24-25. But overwhelmingly we changed the name of LOTW to Sauger Capital of the World this past week. Wowzer! It was 5 to 1 sauger. Which hey, they eat really good too. The best part is that the 10 of us had fun! Nobody got hurt, nothing got tooo broken, and we all made it home to our loved ones safely! In the end, you can' ask for much more than that. As far as conditions, I have to believe the next few days, SLOP and uncertainty is the word! Be careful, bring rain gear and stay safe!

By the way, had a great conversation with Mer from Ballards, great guy, and he was working hard to keep their clients on the tough bite! Great to hear guys with over 15 years up there still working hard for clients!

arcticman 1000 might need to bring your boat raining now pretty slopy in my yard seen a picture of a track vehicle by springsteel that fell threw the ice take caution where u drive

Just called Adrians, and they said it was sloppy and would have to keep a close eye on the conditions. with the possibility of shutting down the road by the weekend. It rained here in Bemidji early this morning and forecasted 70 in baudette with chance of Tstorms on saturday.

Heard houses being pulled on zippel not that familiar with lake, does this mean most places will pull this week ?

Welcome to another addition of the Wigwam Fishing Report on beautiful Lake of the Woods. In the one day since I shot this the rain has come and it's about 50 degrees, which is causing a little water to stand on the ice, so from here on out I'd forget the sled and bring the wheelers! We still have great ice underneath those few inches of water, but it will be a day to day depending on the conditions from here on out. If you plan on taking a trip to Lake of the Woods for ice fishing in the coming days and weeks, please contact your respective resorts and check conditions. As of today (3/12/12) it's business as usual...we've got 40 guests fishing with us today, but that can all change very quickly as many of us know. Be safe, have fun and always remember, live every day full of life and happiness.

In the video you'll get to see a bright sunny cool northern Minnesota day turn to windy white out conditions in the blink of an eye, but the fishing was still great in the Wigwam ice house, which kept me pleasantly warm and busy catching fish. The day was cut short when I had about a 10 minute window to leave before the gusts began again and I had to spend the night in the house, which may have been fun. The second day (3/9/12) was a day full of laughter and excitement for 65 fifth and sixth graders from our local Baudette school. Fishing For Knowledge blesses us once again this year with an ice fishing education worth much more than they receive. With the creator and director, Mr. Dennis Salmala from Moose Lake, MN bringing in the likes of Brian "Bro" Brosdahl, Heather Brosdahl (The King and Queen of Ice Fishing), Brian "Shrek" Hartmann, and multiple local volunteers, it is always an inspirational and educational time for the kids. Even Vancover and I lent a helping hand and also many of the local resorts chipped in with lodging, transportation and personal participation. Thanks again to all that helped, and remember it has to be passed down for it to ever have a future!

Happy Fishing and God Bless!

Babblers shutting down his road today or tomorrow it sounds like, Resorts on the river are hoping to make it through the weekend. Not supposed to freeze until a week from Wednesday so who knows if that is accurate. After this rain stops and the sun comes back out it will go in a hurry.

Zipple has to cross the bay to get on the lake as do the resorts on the river. Shallow water and current will take out the river and bays sooner than the lake. Usually can still get direct access to the lake with atvs for some time after the river goes out.

CaptainMusky,

Thanks for the report. I am trying to decide if I should bring the 4 wheeler or sled for the upcoming weekend.

Which road did you go out on?

Thanks again.

An atv would have been fine when we went and after Sunday's warm weather I am sure it would be the preferred mode of travel because what snow would be left would be rock hard if it gets cold enough.

With rain and warm temps in the forecast the sled is probably out of the question, my guess anyway. I think the roads out there are going to be terrible really quick this year. Much less ice than normal years at this time and with the warm overnights that is not good.

Drove across the lake today from springsteel to 12 mile to gull rock/babblers. By 4:30 there weren't too many houses left on. Looked like arneson's still had a bunch and didn't seem to be pulling them in. Almost all houses out of babblers were off by the time we left. Ice conditions were good, crossing 2 breakers along the way, no cracks open enough to drop a wheel in. Yes it did rain most of the day and yes there is water on the ice, virtually all of the snow melted in the last 24-48 hours. I had a small river running through my portable into my hole today. Fishing was poor to say the least. In a couple of days all of the water will drain through the ice and then we'll have to see how the ice holds up. I do plan on pulling my permanent from springsteel tommorow just incase the crack decideds to open up @ their landing. It didn't sound like springsteel was going to close their road anytime soon but better call and ask them. It will take some time to melt/weaken 30"+ of ice, how long is anyones guess.

What a difference a couple days makes. Went from shoveling on Saturday to a free car wash today. Only snow left is from the plowed roads. Bombadier and snowmobile trails are trashed. I think the area picked up between .3" and .5" of rain today. The days of truck travel out of a resort might might be limited, but ATV action should hold on for a bit yet.

Picuture on 3/10

IMG_0727.jpg

Picture on 3/12 (Babbler's Road)

IMG_0746.jpg

What a difference a couple days makes. Went from shoveling on Saturday to a free car wash today. Only snow left is from the plowed roads. Bombadier and snowmobile trails are trashed. I think the area picked up between .3" and .5" of rain today. The days of truck travel out of a resort might might be limited, but ATV action should hold on for a bit yet.

Picuture on 3/10

IMG_0727.jpg

Picture on 3/12 (Babbler's Road)

IMG_0746.jpg

talked to a guy I know who was going through a resort and they called and canceled his trip. Believe it was one of the resorts where the Rainy river comes in.

So what do you guys think that go up a lot, live up there etc how will ice be at the end of month? I have trip planned staying in arnesons shacks will they still be able to take us out after couple weeks of this warmer weather end if the month?

Thanks

End of the month I plan on fishing south tip.

In my boat.

I just got the call from River Bend. My weekend trip has been cancelled and they are pulling all of their houses off. I was so looking forward to one last trip. I guess I will have to take the boat out this weekend instead.

Anybody coming up now should bring wheelers/sleds and plan on portable day trips on the ice.

I'll be boat fishing LOW by march 31.

grin

Looks like it's getting sloppy on the river! At least that was on Sportsman's webcam! Down here it's 75 degrees and I've got the windows open!

4 of us went fishing on Saturday and Sunday. went out of Zipple Bay. Saturday we set up in about 30fow. Day started awsome with 4 in the bucket in about an hour. Then things slowed down alot. Ended up keeping 12. one walleye that was 19 1/4. the rest sauger 13-16 inch. Threw back about 15 little ones. Best bites were on little glow-pink and green jigs. Not much caught more than a foot up. Alot of lookers but few takers.

Sunday we set up in about 34fow. Pretty steady day. We kept 3 eyes, 10 sauger, 2 tulibee, and 1 eelpout. Best walleye was a 21 inch slot fish. Caught an 18, 17, 15 eye. saugers all 13-15. The pout was about 30 inches. Slimy sucker, that we caught at last light. We probably caught and released around 60 fish 5-10 inches. Best lures were the pink charmer, green buckshot, and pink hot tomale. The bite was weird this day. Caught quite a few anywhere from 2-6ft up. Anything higher wouldn't bite. But the most fish were caught on the hot tomale set 8" up on a rattle reel (probably 25). Another 15 were caught on a gold demon on another rattle reel set 15 inches up. Had alot of lookers, probably 20 to 1 caught.

Unfortunately this is my last trip to LOW this winter. Already planning for next year. Hopefully a trip or two this summer too. Good luck everyone and be safe. Lots of water on the ice, but no more snow.

Off of Ballard's website, their last day of fishing is Thursday and all houses will be off the lake by end of day Thursday. It sounds like the others are doing the same.

One thing to keep in mind everyone is with all the runoff and rain there is current again. I talked to a friend who was fishing over the weekend and he said he could see it in his bobbers out on the big lake. With the water moving under the ice it can be very unpredictable as it will get thinner without visibly showing it. They are already noticing it up near the angle.

Fished the last couple days off the Adrians road. Some spots, water up to the floor boards. Got to the access this morning and it was closed. It was tough getting off the lake last night.

Planning on trying to get out on a wheeler Saturday through Monday or Tuesday. Anyone think this will be a problem?