• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

I dont think alot of people know any better...ignorance is bliss i guess! T-18 days till i get up there...hopefully theres a little more ice! Good luck and be safe!

A buddy and I were up the 31st and 1st out of Adrian's road. Fished 28' the first day and 30' the second morning. We got 110 sauger and walleye in about 12 hours of actual fishing time, biggest was a 28.5" walter. Kept limits of 16-18" walleyes and 13-16.5" sauger. The smaller Lindy Rattlin Flyers (chartreuse/gold was hot) were the ticket for us jigging during daylight and a glow red jig (buckshot or something similar) was best at dusk/dawn when it gets dark on the bottom of the lake. We got a few on bobbers, but jigging took the vast majority. Fish definitely preferred fatheads for us.

Sunday was wild with that wind! I would have thought that weather switch would have shut off the fish but it was actually better fishing Sunday morning.

Happy New year! Picked up one of ur suggested Pink charmers JP an went outa adrians on Sat. Dec. 31st, got set up in about 29ft along side adrians school bus house by 8 bells. Boom boom boom, limit of walleys in an easy 40 mn, couple sweet saugers to boot, three others in my gang struggle to catch fish but managed to put some saugers in the bucket, at about 10 the wind picked up an snow started an the fun was over, just hit that sweet moment just before front hit, the pink charmer was by far the deal for the day. Still had alot of sniffers throu out the day but just wouldnt open up. My cousin brought one up around 27 inches, up the hole spit the hook, grabed the tail, slipped out of his grasp an down the other hole for a neat catch an release but no picture. Sun we got up an decided to stay in due to the wind. Lots of fun. Happy new year. Later baor
boar I was also up that day. We were on the same row of Adrians houses.We had the Anchor house on that road, it was the last one East. We got lots of nice fish. Didnt like driving of the lake on Sunday with the wind, but fishing was GREAT!

Cool beans Sounds like I was right in the middle of those two houses, with two black popups put to gether an a larger one of to the side with wheelers, sounds like we should moved a bit, but had fun anyway. Boar

soldoncass: Yes you are correct I do need a break, been working way to hard lately. This retired life is not a cake walk..... tired

Actually tryiing to figure out how I ever had time to go to work. Always something to occuppy the time...

I'm coming up to LOW tonight. I heard from some people that we'd be ok driving my 1/2 ton crew cab chevy out on the ice. Is that true??

depends on where you want to go out of, as always, talk to the resort before you venture out. Warm and windy here again today...

Fishing has been stellar on the big pond this week! We have been catching consistent limits with a good mix of Walleye and Sauger. Depending on the size of the group people have been pulling up 50-150 fish per day.

The ice is 15+ inches thick where we are fishing and vehicles are being permitted to drive on the lake. We have been fishing around 30 feet of water and continue to follow the fish as they move further into the lake. Hot colors have been anything in glow white/green/pink along with the classic LOW gold. Set lines have also been producing a good amount of fish with a plain hook. Fish seem to be holding tight to the bottom but make sure to have your electronics as this will allow you to see fish all throughout the water column

Did a one day trip yesterday with a few buddies. We normaly stay a weekend when we drive that far but my brother was uo from Nebraska and wanted get on the fish. We had a very seccessful trip. Dont know the exact total of what we caught but we are guessing in the 150 fish mark. A nice mixture of fish caught. Small sugers do make the total number of fish caught high, but we did catch a lot of nice 14-15 inchers too. The walleyes were all nice, I think the smallest one kept was 15 inches. The biggest eye caught on the day was a 24incher. We also added two nice perch into the mix plus a couple tulipee and bourbut that were released. My buddy is mounting a fat 13 inch perch that he caught. All in all it was a great day and you couldnt beat the weather for this time of year. The ice was about 16 inches thick. Caught fish pretty much on everything used. Buck shots were the most used jig in the group, but I also caught them a chubby darter and rattlin flying spoon. Straight lines were also working throug out the day.full-29171-15940-2012_01_05_17_14_22_987

full-29171-15941-2012_01_05_17_14_02_760

Sounds like Morris road closed today, was it just to trucks or everything? Did a crack open or is it just precautionary because of the heat?

Take this info for what its worth. I have a buddy up there now, so this is 2nd hand info for me. He said they are at Zippel and with the warm weather and wind, there has gotten to be areas of standing water. He said in spots it is 2-4 inches of standing water and in very wide areas! I sure hope it gets cold soon!!!!

Good luck and be safe.

Talked to Zipple this morning they said that they have water on top of the ice where the snow melted off yesterday but that they had 16" of ice here. I asked if I'd be allowed with my diesel out they said they have been going for a week with them.

Went out of Adrians road on Saturday morning got to fishing at about 10. Even with the warm temp the road was in great shape and plenty of ice to go wonder around on a little. Was out in 29 feet of water and had non stop action until about noon. Nice fish, all sauger and decent sized compared to other years, hot colors were glow red or glow green, seemed like they wanted no action at all, if we jigged they would just shy away, so both lines were bobbers. Slowed down between noon and 2 so we went in shallow twords pine island in about 17 feet of water. Got set up by 3 and between 3 and 5 hooked into some dandy walleyes. Those fish bit on both, aggressive jigging and and a few on the bobbers but mostly jigging aggressivly and making them chase it. We often wonder why more people don't come in shallow tword evening, there wasan't another house within 1/2 mile of us. We have done this every time we go up there for the past 15 years and have had nothing but great luck even with slow fishing up there we can always count on the evening shallow water bite.

Walleyedane,

We are debating on doing what you do and going in shallow for the morning and evening bite if it's not very cold when we go up in the middle of February. How shallow do you usually set up? Have you ever did the fish shallow in the morning - deep mid-day and shallow again in the evening? We are bringing up the sleeper and I would think it would work better to leave the sleeper in shallow and fish out deep in the portables during the day. What time should a guy abandon the shallow in the morning to go deep and abandon deep to go back shallow in the evening? Also, has anyone had any luck picking up some fish at night while in shallow water? Rumor has it that this year more fish than normal are being caught at night??? I think we are going to end up going out of Zipple Bay.

How much snow is on the ice? I am coming up in a couple of weeks and was thinking of bringing the wheeler and portable with. Was hoping i could get around on the wheeler if i brought it.

Beast,

We have done the early bite in the mornings and evenings and went out to the deep water for our saugers in the middle. We have done different depths for the shallow water bite. Last weekend we went to 17 and had a run from about 3 to 5 and then it got slow after 5. We caught a dozen or so, all walleyes, a few small ones but most were 16" to 24". In years past we have gone into 13-15 feet and had action later into the evening. One morning we set up in 12' and hammered em' until about 9:30. We usually set up in 14 in the morning until about 9 them move out deep until about 2:30 and depending how late we want to stay out that evening is the depth we target. We went to 17 and the run ended at about 5 but I think if we would of went in shallower we would have action later into the evening. If I had a sleeper thats exactly what I would do, set up in 12'to 15' and go out in the daytime and catch your saugers out deep. Good Luck. Weve been doing it for years and it works out 90% of the time.

I don't know about everyone else but yesterday was very slow for me. Was out of Adrians in 30 feet of water and probably only caught 10 fish, most of which were small.

Just got home from LOW. Fished Sat. evening then all day on Sunday and Monday. Went out of Wheeler's Point Resort (it's under new ownership now, which was news to me) and sat in 30-feet of water. The bite was good Sat. evening and got better on Sunday and was crazy on Monday. All the years up there this is the best bite we have been on.

Red glow Lindy Flyer's, red glow Gent'z worms for jigging and the best dead stick presentation was a plain red hook, 2 to 3-inches off the bottom.

Fished from jan 4th to the 9th thru Winter sett resort first let me tell you Jim Herzog the owner of Winter sett is one of the nicest persons and the sleeper house was unbelievable!But getting back to the report was set up in 23 ft of water the morning and evening bite was great A good mix of sauger and walleye but mostly walleye A lot of 14 to 16 inch the biggest being 25 inches and A lot sauger up to 16 inches had A couple of rattle wheels down every night and had action every night.There were times I had trouble using 2 lines.Glow red and pink stop signs rattling flyer worked well the first few days along with A gold gem n eye on the set line but the last couple days the gold buckshot was the way to go used nothing but shinners.I will definetly use winter sett again

If you have plans to drive out this weekend make sure to call ahead - the cold and wind are changing the ice conditions rapidly. One vehicle and wheel house in our group broke partially through 1.5 miles over Pine Island tonight and had to be winched out.

J.P. Tessier where have you gone?????? I look forward to your reports more than you know. Can't get up to LOW til March. I know it is extra work for you to put out the videos but keep em coming............have learned more from those videos on the how to fish LOW plus keeps the fire burning until March. Thanks for the effort!