• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

DNR officer OK after ATV breaks through ice on Lake of the Woods

By Brad Dokken

Grand Forks Herald

Updated: 12/28/2011 08:15:58 PM CST

A conservation officer for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources escaped injury over the weekend after the ATV he was driving broke through thin ice on Lake of the Woods.

According to Lt. Pat Znajda, District 1 enforcement supervisor for the DNR, the officer, Ben Huener, was checking fishing activity near Springsteel north of Warroad, Minn., about 12:30 p.m. Saturday when the ATV broke through the ice and sank to the bottom of the lake in about 8 feet of water.

Znajda said Huener was able to swim to the edge of the ice and pull himself out of the water to safety with ice picks. Huener then used his radio to call a state highway trooper for a ride.

The ATV was recovered late Tuesday afternoon, Znajda said.

Ice conditions on the west side of Lake of the Woods remain dangerous after a series of cracks opened up during recent warm, windy weather. The cracks, which extend from the Springsteel area east and south to Swift Ditch, Rocky Point and Long Point, had open water as recently as late last week. In some areas, the open water was at least 100 yards wide.

Light snowfall covering the ice gave the illusion of safety, Znajda said, even in areas that only recently had refrozen. He said the incident illustrates how treacherous conditions really are on the west side of the lake.

"If it happens to us, it can happen to anybody," he said.

At the very least, Znajda said, anyone fishing the west side of the lake should check with area resorts or bait shops to get the latest conditions before venturing onto the ice.

"People should make sure they have somebody with them and know where they're going," Znajda said.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

gurkster, sounds like you and the family had a great X-mas outing. I suppose you really didn't get much bobber time since you were the hook baiter-fish taker off'er for everyone! smile

4 of us fished the end of Adrians Road 28-30' today from 10 to 3. We ended up catching 50-60 and kept our 32 w/ a couple of nice walleyes mixed in.

It was nice fishing on the ice and not being confined to the portables. We cut a bunch of holes and then would hop around catching a few out of each hole.

Best lure by far was gold/orange Charmer that JP from Wigwam is always bragging up, although his preferred color is pink. Jigging was the way to go today! I couldn't buy a fish on my usual "go to" Lindy Darter.

There were some smaller trucks/suvs on the ice today. We measured 13" where we were at. We used a Polaris Ranger today and pulled our houses/gear on a flat bed snomo trailer. Cleats would be a good idea too as there's lots of bare ice out there.

Brian

The only ice you can trust is in your drink glass and that depends on what bar you are in. Even sometimes that can be sketchy.

Just got back from Riverbend resort. Fished Wed/Thurs. Adrians road is only open to small cars and mid size SUV.(Blazers etc). No full size trucks allowed. We were out in 27-28' and only looking at 12-14" of ice. Warm temps again on Thursday so ice making is not happening very fast.....Stay safe.

Fished Zippel yesterday. Went west and found 14-15 inches of ice with lots of different spots where the ice had broken up and refrozen. No fish. Moved over a large crack out to 29.5fow and still found 14-15 inches of ice. Found our limits of sauger there. We couldn't keep two lines down. Fast fishing!

Noticed ALOT of vehicles on the ice Saturday. Everything from ATVs to diesel trucks out there. Not enough for me to feel safe so we used snowmobile and ATV. The snow that fell in the afternoon really help with the riding conditions. Everything is white now.

Now seems like the time when bad things happen to the ice sheet. Once the resorts make roads too many people think they can drive on them like a highway. If everyone drives cautiously it should be pretty nice looking ahead.

The IGLOO is on the ice!

Happy New year! Picked up one of ur suggested Pink charmers JP an went outa adrians on Sat. Dec. 31st, got set up in about 29ft along side adrians school bus house by 8 bells. Boom boom boom, limit of walleys in an easy 40 mn, couple sweet saugers to boot, three others in my gang struggle to catch fish but managed to put some saugers in the bucket, at about 10 the wind picked up an snow started an the fun was over, just hit that sweet moment just before front hit, the pink charmer was by far the deal for the day. Still had alot of sniffers throu out the day but just wouldnt open up. My cousin brought one up around 27 inches, up the hole spit the hook, grabed the tail, slipped out of his grasp an down the other hole for a neat catch an release but no picture. Sun we got up an decided to stay in due to the wind. Lots of fun. Happy new year. Later baor

Boar where did you pick up the charmers? Up there last week and checked with a tackle shop and they had no clue what I was talking about. Made a trip to Wigwam on Wed night thought maybe they still sold tackle, no such luck. headed back on 1/16. Thanks Bill

I dont think there actually called charmers, its just wat JP has labled them, but i could be rong. Pay at adrians an they have an assortment of them in different colors, also have the chartrues pink white tri which looks really nice. Hope to be up there also at that time, maybe find ya, later boar

I dont think there actually called charmers, its just wat JP has labled them, but i could be rong. Pay at adrians an they have an assortment of them in different colors, also have the chartrues pink white tri which looks really nice. Hope to be up there also at that time, maybe find ya, later boar

They really are called Charmers by Tom's Tackle. Looks like you came from St. Cloud, stop at Hardware Hank in Thief River Falls on your way, they have a sweet selection of ice fishing equipment. Probably the best around.

Boar for a minute there I thought you were stuttering.....lool. Thanks guys for the info on the Charmers. I'm going to do a web search and see what I can find. If he is iin St Cloud then that would work out just fine....otherwise online ordering would also work.

WhiskeyPete: How right you are about driving on the ice roads. It never ceased to amaze me even during the years with good ice, driving off at night a line of headlights a mile behind and everybody moving along, when some cowboy decides the line isn't moving fast enough and he blows by you at 40-50 mph. Either very thirsty, needs to find a rest room fast, or just stupid. Oh well, guess it is what it is..... frown

bturk,

When we go up to LOW or URL, we always stop in Blackduck for a "break", at a baitshop called TIMBERLINE SPORTS and CONVENIENCE store. It is a SHELL station, has more tackle than you have in your dreams, and I was surprised to see CHARMERS on the counter. They had the tri-color one and a few others, but out of the all PINK ones saturday. They said they can't keep those in stock. I picked up the tri-colored one. The baitshop is west of #71 about 1/2 block on BLACKDUCK LAKE ROAD. Well worth a stop.

Ok They are charmers, never seen any lableing fro them, just usually haging on a post or hook like a ornament, see right there is what they should be called, the Pink Ornament.

No brains no pain, comeing off of adrians on a wheeler was bein blowen buy by cars an trucks that just had to get in like the ice was opening up, easily doing 35 some 40 or more, Iwas waiting for that wave to push up an swallow them.

I know that the size of the vehicle and ice thickness has everything to do with what a safe speed is...what would be considered safe and do resorts post them at their access? I'm typically one of those that get passed or have a line of vehicles behind me.

Not sure what is really considered the max for safe speed on the ice. I know that when we had a house on Mille Lacs, Macs Twin Bay posted 15 mph and those exceeding it were told to leave the lake. Even ice road truckers had a speed limit and could end up getting ticketed for over the limit. The Navy had a good video several years ago demonstrating the effects of the under ice wave action. it was pretty unbelievable what goes on down under.....

I just got back from the Big Waters and the fishing was good at times. We cuaght our limit but we had to work for them. Brought in a 28", 2 - 26" and a couple 21's. Two of us were fishing in the same house and it seamed like pink was the color for us. I was using a Lindy Slick Jig in the clown color and that is was I caught the 28" and the 2 - 26" on. My buddy was using a some kind of pink Lindy jig and they were hitting that also. We were in about 25' of water. The ice was about 12" to 14" and it was in good shape. Good luck to everyone and be safe. Want to hit Mille Lacs, but there is a TON of open water and I heard some resorts are cancelling reservations.

soldoncass: Yes I know the tackle store in Blackduck that you are referring too. haven't stopped there in awhile, will have to make the stop on the way up on 1/16. Always afraid to stop in the tackle shops, don't wanna spend all my minnow money... crazy

2c

The biggest effect on the ice when it gets to this thickness is speed coming into shore and/or shallow water. Don't drive bumper to bumper up to the landing and keep good distance between yourself and others as you approach shallower waters.

2c