• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Yes. Thank you very much for the accurate photos & descriptions. Rumors can be put to rest now.

I am very unimpressed with Mother Nature at this moment.

As i left twin island i got right down on the crack and flew it all the way to west of bridges where it splits and heads north to garden and east to Knight/Bridges, I took video of the flight but cant seem to get it to load, any help? the ice around the reefs is very rough, large open spots and many smaller cracks and ridges. As i headed back south towards the L the ice was looking better, again im not saying good, but there only a few small cracks and the rough ice and pressure ridges look like the biggest problem. Ice looked good across pine and there are a lot of houses out. Still continue to use extreme caution if headed out to deeper water as there are still some spots that look like they could cause problems.

Good luck to all and STAY DRY!

I took video of the flight but cant seem to get it to load, any help?

You might have to upload to http://hsoshow.com then link it here.

Your pictures and story do a very good job of explaining things out there without video though.

northerndave is right, easiest way to do it is post your video and link it here.

THANKS for the pics, tells one messy / dangerous story!

Mike

Great pictures, what lake is that? All i can show in my pictures is desert sand and orange trees. Kinda of wish i were in the midwest where i could enjoy some of the great scenery, but until then i will have to live through you all. Have a very safe holiday. Jeff

These are just unbelievable pictures. Mother nature doing her thing. Great job cropduster, thanks for posting. That must have been an erie flight looking down upon the situation.

Excellent pictures and descriptions. Looks like it's bow hunting for another week and a half for this guy.

great HSOshow video. Unbelievable. looks like you were pretty tight on the deck, so a very good perspective through your windshield. thanks again'

Thank you Cropduster for the pictures and video from around the lake. This is absolutely the best information I have seen/heard to date. A picture is worth a thousand words!

Anyone with new info in the next few days and weeks can surely post it here. It would be helpful to all of us trying to get out on the ice. Everyone be safe!! I will be on the ice again tomorrow and will report back with whatever new developments arise. Happy Holidays!

Talked to both Morris Point and Adrian's this evening. Solid 12" of ice all around.

One crack out of Morris Point where they are using a bridge to cross, but nothing out of the ordinary. No full size, mid size or small size vehicles of any kind are permitted. ATV's are the vehicle of choice and using them to pulling out wheel houses is just fine.

Adrian's is allowing small vehicles (Trackers, Samurai's) but not full sized trucks. Didn't sound like there was a timetable for full sized vehicles either. Pulling out houses with ATV's, SXS's or mini-suv vehicles was permitted. Some people are venturing out with larger vehicles but it is not recommended. Ice on the west side of Pine Island near the pine tree sounds a little buckled, so caution is recommended.

By looking at the unwinter-like weather forecast, I am assuming full sized rigs still might be a ways out. Like everyone has mentioned, best to call Morris Point or Adrian's personally for fresh up to the minute information.

vman--just adding to your post.

Just talked to Al and sideXsides are allowed at Morris. One bridge out front that's been good for the last 3-4 days and a good 12" of ice all around. 24 to 26 FOW has been getting the fish.

Please everyone just be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Those pics are just stomach curling!!

Wow, thanks for the pictures, that west side is sure messed up. With the current forecast it might be end of january before any fishing gets done over there....Looks like plenty of time to finish off the wheel house.

From Denny's Newsletter.

Adrian’s: ATV’s only. 11 ¾” of ice & they are out as deep as 28’ although in as shallow as 18’ is working well also. Shiners have been what most are using, but that maybe because it’s what the resorts have most of.

Morris Point: ATV’s only. 12” of ice everywhere within 2 miles of the resort. Most action is happening in 24-26’ now. Moving in to 16-17’ at evening has been successful too. The water is very clear this year so there hasn’t been any talk of any certain colors as of yet.

Zippel Bay: ATV’s only. 12 ½” of ice on the lake. They are allowing trucks on the bay to the lake at which point you need to use ATV’s. 16-24’ is still where it’s all happening.

Long Point: Not open yet.

Babbler’s Road: Closed

Swift Ditch/Five Mile: Nope

Springsteel: Not Open yet. There has been some walking out in the bay towards Canada & around Taylor Bridge in Warroad but until the resort opens access I’m not recommending anything. The same goes for Swift, you’ll see some out there along the south shore after some Northern action, but I can’t recommend it, back to what I mentioned last week the Resort Captains are the one’s to listen to, its what they do!

Basically Zippel Bay & east is the only recommended areas other than the Northwest Angle. From Zipplel & west the lake has never completely froze across. The wind has been changing direction daily & it hasn’t been clam enough, cold enough, for long enough to complete the sheet.

The weather forecast is still for mild temps but you need to remember there is no snow to insulate so it’ll keep making ice.

Remember there’s no fish worth compromising you or someone else’s safety

We were up over Pine Islandfrom Sun. to Wed. and to thenorth west 27' of water. There is a crack that runs nw shortly after the island. Watched several atv try to cross and did not make it with out geting wet and needed help to get pulled out of the crack. Where the ice is not heaved up it is buckeled down and that looks like a good place to cross, but the ice above that buckle is thin and gives way to the rear tires of the atv. Don't think you will sink , but you will get wet ! Fishing was great!Monday caught 50" sturgon 6# line <FUN> Several fish in the slot 1 29" walleye

They selling those jigs anywhere else around the lake other than Zippel? You can never have too many lures smile

call the resorts...but i dont think so its 35 now same for tommorow and 40's on monday so its not making much ice

Just got back from a three day two night stay at the Wigwam and the fishing was unbelievable!

Day 1- Got out on the ice just as it was starting to get light out and set up around the big pine tree in 14 FOW. From the time we got there we were constantly hammering walleyes! We fished in shallow til about 11 am. Just a guess but I'm pretty sure two of us caught 30-40 with alot of 17-19 inchers and some really nice slot fish as well! A 25, 24, 22, 22.5 (They were still biting when we decided to move out and catch our saugers)When we moved out deeperto 29 FOW we weren't disappointed. At times there was 3 feet of solid fish off the bottom. We started getting low on bait so we threw on some chubby darters so we could save our shiners for when we moved back in for the walleye....chubby darters worked just as well! The evening bite in shallow did not disappoint. We hammered off another 30 walleye. They were still biting and it was pitch black out! Just a guess but I would have to say we caught 100 for two guys! Needless to say there was some excessive celebrating at the Wigwam and Sportsmans bar!

Day 2 and three were alot of the same thing...Shallow walleye bite in the morning and evening, deep saugers in the day time. I've been going up to LOTW for 25 years and this is as good as it gets! The fish are absolutely going off right now. A special thanks to JP and the boys...You guys did a great job! See you in a few days and to all the FMER's that are going up for the New Years, stop by cabin 8 and have a beer, talk a little fishing, and shoot some dice!