• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Went to Morris Point today, tried putting out the portable in the wind but that didn't work so we we rented a resort house. Started at noon and were filled out by 4, but fished til 5. No big fish biting today, they said yesterday they were filling out with all 17-19 inch fish, we didn't catch anything over 15 and mostly saugers. Fishing was hot right when we got in the house from 12-1:30 then picked up again from 3-4. Didn't see the 4-dark bite like others were seeing last week.

we got in one of the furthest resort houses out, I'm thinking 21 but I don't have a vexilar. Just dropped lines and we had fish so I wasn't too worried smile They were moving some other resort houses out even further, but I'm not sure how deep it is where they were going, I don't normally fish Morris.

Saturday is fast approaching and we're hoping Morris has a good bite yet. Bringing the porty with a buddy for our first outing of the year.

After Christmas we'll be moving the sleepers up to the lake and if this clear water is a sign of anything, I hope to find great fishing right out in front. I have always loved Morris for it's location right on the ice.

We have been out in 21 to 23 ft the past 3 days over pine island. The bite is very good right now. Limits are no problem in short time. Sauger size is up. Got a few jumbo perch as a bonus.

Was Wondering what the current ice thickness is looking like, have monday and tuesday off from work and was just wondering how the ice is looking, dont have a wheeler, but was wondering if any of the resorts offer some type of option to get you out there with your portable? heard the fishing is prime at the moment

I'm not aware of any resorts who offer transport with portables. IMO, you would be better off using a resort for both days. They know the conditions, where the bad ice is, etc. The ice wasted to eleven inches where we were. Google snobes lake of the woods for a good outfitter.

Hey Wigwam Fisherman, I will be coming up the 26 and do you think that we will be able to take trucks out by then? I know that there is about 11 inches on the lake, but with the forecast do you think that we should be okay to take out truck out? Thanks and good luck fishing.

God Bless JP and those videos!!!! They help get me through my day down here in the cities!!! Two more weeks til I am up there POUNDING THEM TOO!!!!

I was out this last weekend Fri and Sat out of Zipple bay resort and the first day we did ok 3 guys (30+ walleye and Sauger), on the way back in to the resort a guy on the transport recommended some jigs called Lakers jigs? that he picked up at the resort and there house killed them that day he said 60+, So I took a chance on his advice and picked up a handful of them for the Sat fishing adventure and boy did that pay off we ended up catching over 100 in our house. The colors that worked best for us were green and also pink. The jigs had a long glow on them and are hand painted with some glitter on the back glow side. It was fun watching the fish run from the bottom of the lake up to the jig and smacking them. We had talked to a several other fisherman on sat that had a varied fishing report but none that had killed them like we did. Not sure if it was the new lures we used or just plain skill (Luck!). Good luck.

Was at Arnesens Monday and Tuesday and talked to people who were out Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a little slow, Sunday limits were had. Monday the two of us caught 25 fish including two monster eel pout, one small northern, and one monster northern. We kept 5 walleye and 2 sauger, which was a little better than average for the day. Arnesens has been working their butts off moving houses every day due to crack formation and I don't think they have the houses where they want them. Got out Tuesday for about 30 minites until one of the guides was blown in circles and then straight sideways toward open water in the tracker pulling a house. Wisely, we all got off the ice. Hope for colder weather!

went out of morrison yesterday and wind was at gail forces. Surprised that all of us in portable house didnt end up in canada some were. But I guess around 1:00 or so the wind did lay down. So I departed the nice warm house that my co workers rented so we didnt blow away. I went out past all the houses 50 yrds or so. I proceeded to catch just about all of are limits three guys plus through back 10 to 20 . Good day fishing just a nasty morning wind

I proceeded to catch just about all of are limits three guys plus through back 10 to 20 .

Is party fishing legal? I didn't think it was. I could care less but you might not want to post that if it isn't. Sounds like a fun day!

Is party fishing legal? I didn't think it was. I could care less but you might not want to post that if it isn't. Sounds like a fun day!

Yes, the recently changed the regs. It never used to be. I know a CO that gave a father a citation for catching his kid's panfish. Pretty lame, but I guess law is the law.

But according to the regs now it is legal to party fish.

I was out this last weekend Fri and Sat out of Zipple bay resort and the first day we did ok 3 guys (30+ walleye and Sauger), on the way back in to the resort a guy on the transport recommended some jigs called Lakers jigs? that he picked up at the resort and there house killed them that day he said 60+, So I took a chance on his advice and picked up a handful of them for the Sat fishing adventure and boy did that pay off we ended up catching over 100 in our house. The colors that worked best for us were green and also pink. The jigs had a long glow on them and are hand painted with some glitter on the back glow side. It was fun watching the fish run from the bottom of the lake up to the jig and smacking them. We had talked to a several other fisherman on sat that had a varied fishing report but none that had killed them like we did. Not sure if it was the new lures we used or just plain skill (Luck!). Good luck.

Sweet job... did the jig look something like this one?

bigtimantti.jpg

@ 1LuckyLouie Did you have to cross any cracks? Heard they had a bridge over an open water crack over that direction. Just currious, making plans for the weekend.

mrwalleyeslayer: were you fishing these jigs on a jiggin rod or a dead stick set up? also do you know if they are availabe at Log Cabin bait? Steve/Log Cabin maybe you can jump in and answer the question if you see this.

Will see you next Tues Steve when we arrive. Bill

"Is party fishing legal? I didn't think it was. I could care less but you might not want to post that if it isn't. Sounds like a fun day!"

Yes, the recently changed the regs. It never used to be. I know a CO that gave a father a citation for catching his kid's panfish. Pretty lame, but I guess law is the law.

But according to the regs now it is legal to party fish.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but party fishing has been legal as long as I can remember. They added language specifically related to ice fishing to clear up confusion in 2002...but as far back as I looked (1989) it has been legal.

97C.317 FISHING AS A PARTY.

While two or more persons are taking fish by angling as a party, the total number of fish taken and the total number of fish possessed by the party may not exceed the limit of the number of persons in the party that may take and possess fish by angling. For the purpose of this section, a party means:

(1) for persons who are not on the water, the persons are maintaining unaided visual and vocal contact;

(2) for persons who are on frozen water surfaces, the persons are maintaining unaided visual and vocal contact; and

(3) for persons who are on open water surfaces, the persons are angling from a single watercraft.

Everyone has been hearing different reports of the ice sheet and what it's been doing lately. Here is a thread for anyone to add daily or hourly reports from the lake.

Yes we did cross a bridge at morris point because of the bad ice spot. Just for those that might think Im breaking the law by party fishing. Lets just say its my job to know the law and follow it no matter what.

Took the plane for rip today and went on ice patrol.....all I can say is the west side is really bad. Crack is biggest at springsteel, 200 yd plus, and continues to follow south shore through swift ditch up to rocky across twin islands then heads NE all the way across big traverse making it's way west of bridges and north to garden. There are multiple large areas of open water in muskeg bay,16mile and arnesons reefs. Also open along twin island but towards long point was better but I wouldnt say good. Zipple looks good as well as morris and pine. I have some good pics and video that I will post tomorrow

I use a medium action jigging rod, I did a little research and found the lakers site, http://www.lakersfishing.com/6.html The jigs we were using are called the wobbling willow jigs, hope this helps! Looks like you can get them directly from the prior lake bait store, We purchased ours from the resort as they carried them and we didn't have anything like it in our boxes the first day out.

full-29561-15269-img_0169.jpg

North to Springsteel

full-29561-15270-img_0170.jpg

South shore to Swift

full-29561-15271-img_0172.jpg

Swift full-29561-15272-img_0177.jpg

SpringSteel full-29561-15273-img_0175.jpg

SpringSteel

full-29561-15274-img_0179.jpg

Elm Point to Whiskey Jack

full-29561-15275-img_0180.jpg

Buffalo point looking north