• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

I'm heading up to the north east part of LOW. I will be near Chisholm Isl this weekend. Any fishing reports on that part of the lake?

I was looking at the pictures and it looks like the same fish might have bit you twice. Look at the tail, the markings look the same. I might be wrong, but it sure looks the same. Still nice fish!

Schwanny, you might be right, the more I look at it the more it looks the same. I swear when I measured it that the second fish was a good half inch larger than the first one but maybe I mismeasured either the first or the second time. I have a couple of other pics, I will take a look and see if it is more evident in any of those. LOL! Kind of funny that you could possibly hook the same fish twice in a day but it has happened to me before but with a much smaller fish, you would think a fish of this size wouldn't have done that but who knows. Too funny!

Well, upon further review it is the definitely the same fish. What gives it away is the small white "sore", for lack of a better term, right above and slightly behind the the pectroal fin. Bummer, guess I have to go back on my story about catching two walleyes 30" or larger in the same day. Now I don't know really how long it was. Was it 30" or was it 30.5"? I guess the safe bet is to go with 30" even. I am glad somebody was paying attention (Schwanny). Good catch. I laugh thinking about it now. Oh well, it was still a great day none the less.

Ahhh now i see, according to the first pic. There A definate white spec othat are the same on both tail fins right in near the center of each fin.

That's really cool! That fish obviously likes the camera... or maybe how you hold it...

All the fish in LOW and you manage to catch one twice. That is amazing! Fisherjmb, still nice fish! Sorry to bust your bubble about catching 2 in one day.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman

A little fishing report since I am very thankful for those I read prior to fishing LOW. Fished Memorial day through June 5 out of Zippel Bay resort. Wind, as everyone knows, screwed up everything. In any event we did get out every day, although not all day every day due to the wind. Fished from Gladstone Reef over to Long Point.

Caught probably 40-50 fish per day--a lot of very small fish so there may have been more. Largest were 23-25 inches and a few heavy pullers that came unbuttoned. We caught more large fish near Long Point. (Although caught a 17, 23, 24, in Zippel itself in 4 feet.)

Best depth for us was 17-20 feet, although we caught fish from shallow to 25. Used Chartreuse 3/8 oz Jigs most of the time with fatheads or frozen shiners. Not a huge difference, but live bait seemed to provide more action, frozen a bit larger fish.

Being on the anchor worked best as the wind really moved you along.

8 lb Fluoro leaders.

Most fish we caught, or largest number was off Twin Trees in 20 feet, but LOTS of very tiny fish.

Surprised that we caught some nice, 15 inch, saugers. They have a great taste for dinner.

I imagine those fishing this week and next will slay them!

Tight lines.

Wahoo

Fished today off Pine Island. Got a late start and did not get out until after 10 am. Late night the night before as some of our kids came home and wanted to fish. Got a tip from Capt. Slick and went with it. Drifted from about 17 ft into 6 and wound up picking up 10 fish before it was time for lunch around 2. All walleyes kept were 16-17 with a sauger and a pike thrown in for good measure. Food at Ballard's was great as always. We picked up all fish drifting. I used a a jig and a minnow. Others were caught on a chartreuse and orange crawler harnesses. Good time had by all.

A nice bite going on the reefs now, especially the shallower ones. Fish of all sizes. They were smacking spinners really well as well as jigs. The mud bite is going pretty well too in 26 - 30' for us. Surprised to still see a good sized pocket of dirtier water up north.

Hope some stable summer weather arrives sometime.

Good luck to all.

Happy Fathers day!

16 Walleyes over 24 inches in a fun filled day on Lake of the Woods...what a trip!

Wigwam Fisherman

Looks like the water is starting to clear up.I was up there early last week and fishing was tough on the south shore and muddy water. Was good fishing out on the reefs but could only get out there one day because of the wind.Still was fun and cant wait to get back up there.

Just wanted to post about our stay on LOW. We were there June 13 - 19 and caught many Walleye of variant size. I have to say that it was our first time there and it truly is the Walleye capital of the world. I have to thank JP of the WigWam for his great and informative posts! Not kidding here Lake of the Woods is the place to fish Walleye!! wink I am posting some of the many we got in our six days. My buddy got a 23 incher on Friday--the largest either one of us has caught! We will definitely be back. We only had to travel 20 minutes out to the pine island area, and we were reeling them in!!

full-30073-9777-100_0403a.jpg

full-30073-9778-000_0717a.jpg

full-30073-9779-100_0399a.jpg

We were @ the Wigwam on the 20th, fished the 21st and didnt go out on the 22nd. The wind was WICKED, and then the rain on the 22nd kept us of the lake with the wind @ 30mph. But the one day we did get out was SWEET! Lots of nice keepers and about 7 over slot we let go. 29ft and jiged away. Buddy got the bigest @ 29 1/2 didnt keep it and no PIC. No one wanted to chance taking there phone out of there pockets with the boat rocking so bad. Hers is a pic of the fish in fhe cleaning shack. No were not over!! Our guid( Wiggles) and Brice were in the boat with us!002.jpg

My wife and I fished in 33-35 feet near the border last weekend and did extremely well pulling cranks targeting suspended fish. Our largest fish came only about 5 feet down although we mostly ran our cranks at around 20 feet deep according to our charts. Many fish and clouds of baitfish through out the water column. Fun time.

Happy 4th of July to all!

Wigwam Fisherman

A buddy and i were fishing out of zipple 4th of july weekend and did great in 10 to 13 feet in front of the twin trees on gold hammered worm harnesses caught close to 60 in two days and alot of them were 15" to 19" nothing really big 21" was the biggest.

Got about 75 fish today on two riggers from 9-230. Kept our limit of eyes and saugs. 30 feet out of long point. Slowed down when the wind laid down and a lot of them were small saugers.

Fished out of Warroad Saturday. Fished 10 to 7. Got about 70 fish between the two of us. Biggest was a 26incher. Had the best fishing in about 11 to 14 feet off the south shore. Used spinners with leeches and crawlers going about .8 to 1.2 MPH. It seem anytime our spinners would hit the gravel bottom from the soft bottom there the fish would be. Good luck

The bite it ON!!!!

Wigwam Fisherman

Fished Whiskey Flats Monday & Tuesday. Very good! 21-23 ft, drifting using drift socks, spinners & nightcrawlers.

• 2 weeks later...

The spinners with crawlers and leeches are still the ticket for the bait fishermen out there. If you're a down-rigger fisherman, the riggers are picking up a ton of fish.

Wigwam Fisherman