• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

walleye4_life

Same thing in our group lots of big fish on Saturday 10 fish over 27 two of which were over 30. Best opener in 9 trips for our group.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LOTW_Outdoorsman

• Hoey

• vman11

• LakeofthewoodsMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My parents are hammering the big ones this week.  I don't know how deep or what tactic they are using, I only received the photos.  The top one is 30 1/4 inches.

Hey!! It's fun again on the south side of the lake! There are a lot of fish spread out from the south shore to mid lake. Some of the schools have been enormous. Small fish, big fish and in between. Od

Speaking of Border view had to dig a couple old photos up of the crazy bombardier we use to ride out in years ago. Maybe some of the old timers on here might of got to ride in it 😁

Posted Images

Wow what an opener the number off big fish was amazing, can't remember an opener with so many 28"-30" fish. One thing I will say where else in minnesota even comes close. The really cool thing is the number of males that are still in the river all the way to Birchdale. Tons of fish up river mostly 15"-18" males but the fishing should hold very well for longer than normal before they make there way to the sand or mud in the main lake. Hope you all had a great weekend also its lookin like we're in for a boomer year. Really hope they hit the sand good and hard this year, geuss we'll see if the shiners come shallow or hang on the mud. good luck all and happy motoring

WingDing2

I would like to add to my previous report, The majority of the "keepers" we boated were males. I was holding a fish for a photo that was 27 inches and it was spewing sperm all over my raincoat, I always thought males only got to be so big? Only 2 of the "big ones" had some eggs in them...what a day to remember.

Hey guys I am bring the kids over to rocky this weekend, anybody have any info on where to try, or what to use. Thanks any info would be great! good luck and get the big one!!

Morneau132

Hey guys I am bring the kids over to rocky this weekend, anybody have any info on where to try, or what to use. Thanks any info would be great! good luck and get the big one!!

Try this....

DSC00064.jpg

Or these with a SHINER....

DSC00052.jpg

I'm arriving in Sioux Narrows on June 6th.

Just wondering if it has been an early, late, normal spring\ice out, where the water levels are, & how the weather's been.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Its been a very late spring, water temps on the big traverse part of the lake have been 40-43 degrees as of yesterday. The warmest Canadian water that i have seen was 45.3. To sum it all up its been a very cold late spring, but the walleye fishing has been very good on the 4 mile bay and rainy river areas. Good luck and have fun

baitshopboy

go out of the harbor and go right over to the breaks closer to shore. and drag a bottom bouncer and shiner on a bigg gammi

Just got back from Sioux Narrows. Water temps are low to mid 40's. As C. Ford stated, cold and late spring. Ice out was about a week later than average.

Fishing was slow. 2 and a half days and 4 trout, 2 guys. Fun when you get them though! I would think early June, you would still be able to find them without downrigging.

How deep were you getting the trout? We usually troll cranks on leadcore & get them 25-35 feet down over 75-100 FOW when we are up there in the first or second week in June.

We stay up north of Sioux Narrows on Berry Lake.

Spent the last 2 days fishin up north, and who would of thunk it great bite and lots of big fish. With the water so cold I was pleasently surprised. The oak island area was the best with water a little bit warmer. Not good with pics have to figure out how to get them up and on here. But if youre lookin for a boat ride and love the quiet,serene and fishin without many boats around ( the best thing about the north) give it a shot you wont be dissapointed. You cant beat fun for a good time

curt quesnell

Go figure, water temp on the opener was around 40 degrees

just a day or two after ice out and fishing was about as good

as it can get in the the Gaps and the river on the east side

of the lake. Water temp is one of the pieces of the puzzle but

many other factors come into play......I wish I knew what they

were.

Ya that makes two off us Curt, makes me wonder how many of the fish that spawn in the lake will have problems this year. We sure have had a good start to things though, the river,gaps,twin isles the angle all very good, just really hope the post spawn period doesnt go on till the middle of July. I guess We'll all find out. Thanks for the info Curt, take care and have fun.

WingDing2

Hey Chris How many years has it been? I have not seen you in awhile. Good to hear your doing your own thing!

Bob

jeffreyd

What is the best way to hook a shiner? Is it though the mouth (both lips) or at the dorsel fin? I remember when I was a kid that the fin was the only way I only knew how to hook them. Thanks Jeff

Walleye Inn

Trolling threw both lips I beleive good luck wish I was there!!!

We got them one when we were coming up on 9 f.o.w. and the other 3 in 25ish. That was May 18....the second week of June, I'd be doing what you explained.

bapperpimp

If you are trolling, you may want to go through the mouth out of the gill and then through the body.

Hey Bob good to hear ferom you. Ya I dont get around Ballards at all anymore fish out of Zippel and Rocky most of the time doing ok tahe care and look out for shallow spots Chris

Happy Memorial Day, Just got back from the angle late last nite off day today, wich is ok real rainy and cool up here again. Fishing was excellent lots of fish with a real good mix of size wich is good to see. Good numbers of 15"-18" fish with some slot fish mixed in 28.75" was the biggest we saw over the weekend. Water temps are on the rise wich I like to see, get things rockin for the bass and musky. Fish we're kinda spread out as far as depth goes. In the morning they went well for us in 12-14ft late morning was better 18-23 and the afternoon was best in 23-30 on the gradual slopes. Spent most of our time around oak found more fish there than anywhere. Talked to a couple of other guides I know and the Canadian water is rockin, the shorline bite is very good right now. The guys i talked to that fish the gaps and 4-mile our still anchored and jiggin and doing well. Stay dry and good luck.

WingDing2

Just got back! Had a good weekend and the weather was great! Fishing was medium, we were anchored in 4 mile bay and it was consistant but a little slower than opener hehehe. Fished out front of Pine with slower than exspected results... went back to the bay and finished there. Cant wait to go back and do it again!

Fished 4 mile bay and the north end of pine island. First timer at L.O.W. The fishing was steady and had better luck fishing the morning in the mouth of the Rainy. Was wondering why nobody was fishing the canadian side? Somebody told me that you have to stay in Canada to fish over there is this true?

No thats not true, you dont have to stay in Canada. You need a remote border pass or you can call in at the angle and dont forget your fishing license and outdoor card for Ont. Sure wish we could get a call in station on wheelers point always wonder why there isnt when theres 3 call boxes at the angle. The reason you dont see many boats over there now is mainly because the ontario limit is two and zero tolerance for alchol in the boat. The limit is a big deal for alot of people. But once you fish the islands you will always go back if youre in to just good fishin

thanks for correction C ford I will have to get a border pass/license next time.

walleye 4 me

Had a great weekend at the lake. Fished twin islands and gull rock reef with sucsess at both. Few more numbers at twin, better size at gull. 4 fish in the slot, 21,22,24, and a 27. Anchored in 26' 1/4 oz white or green jigs with a minnow was best.

Chirofish

We just got back from our annual trip to the Angle. We fish Ontario from Big Narrows to Lily. Water temps were anywhere from 48-56. The fish were very spread out. We caught some in 10 fow outside shallow weedy bays and some in 30 fow off of rocky points. Many small-medium sized fish with a 25" being the biggest. Chartruse spinners with crawlers seemed to work best with jigs and gulp also catching a few.

Thanks for the posts C. Ford and Chirofish. Our annual trip up there isn't until June 11th. It is fun to see posts, it just makes it harder to wait to get up there. Have you guys ever gotten into any crappies up there? We caught some last winter and would love to find some this summer.

Thanks again,

Tully

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Someone had to kick things off.

I caught some shrimp at the grocery store over the weekend. I'm hoping to see some spawning walleye this weekend. Who knows where they will be in a month when we are all allowed to actually fish for them!
    • Coleman
      By Coleman
      Has anyone been on the water of areas lakes?  Kinda curious what the water temps are hovering around?  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... The lake is still ice covered with big stretches of open water which is expanding daily.  Anglers fishing the lake are fishing in front of the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters LOW.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River during the spring walleye season which lasts through April 14.  The walleye season opens again on May 15th.
      Pike Fishing.  Open water is available in the back bays such as various Four Mile Bay, Bostic Creek, Zippel Bay and backwaters on the Rainy River where pike spawn.  Some nice pike being caught in shallow water areas.  These areas are off of the main lake and perfect for small boats.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   This past week was nothing short of incredible for walleye fishing on the Rainy River.  Large numbers of big walleyes were caught and released.  Many fish 30 - 33+ inches in the mix.  Exactly why anglers love the Rainy River in the spring.  
      Good reports up and down the river including Four Mile Bay.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Most anglers targeting holes in the river.  Some sturgeon being caught on rolling sand dunes with fish laying in the depressions. Wherever there is food and a bit of slacker water!
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Locals are able to get their boats from the mainland (Angle Inlet) to most areas of the islands.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• leech~~
      By leech~~
      Whats your guess? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Most of the lake is still ice covered with the exception of large areas adjacent to inflowing water such as the Lighthouse Gap (Rainy River) and Morris Point Gap (Bostic Creek) areas.  Open water is expanding daily.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River through April 14. 
      Open water is becoming available in many of the back bays around the lake where pike spawn.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   River fishing started out strong, slowed down with cold weather and the Big Fork and Little Fork Rivers spilling mud into the Rainy River and now is picking up again.  The water is clearing and water temps are on the rise.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Walleyes caught in various depths down to 35 feet.  
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay through April 14th.
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon aren't as affected by dirty water as they feed by scent.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Various areas are starting to open up.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Mata Eveleth
      By Mata Eveleth
      Hey just trying to find a report that says like on March 20th, 2021 the water level measured at Crane Lake was.. say 18 feet 6 inches.. measured again on April 5th, 2021 and the depth is now at 17 feet six inches.. something simple. been searching around this web site.. and way to complex.. KISS   Keep it short and simple.. over and out.. same thing any web site you just want a bit of info.. and all this run around crap.. pffff.
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Made my long awaited return to the Rush yesterday. Never got a WI license last year, so it was good to be back! Beautiful weather! But conditions could not have been worse for trout! Water was lowest I’ve ever seen! And gin clear, without a single cloud in the sky. We were fortunate to catch the 3 we did. Way too many people out for my liking. But our gear worked, and our boots didn’t leak 😁 so it was a great day as far as I’m concerned.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Ice fishing is all finished up on the main lake.  The focus is on back bays for big pike and areas of open water on the lake for walleyes.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River through April 14.  A limit of walleyes and saugers is a combined limit of 6 fish with up to 4 being walleyes.  Walleyes 19.5-28.0 inches must be released with one allowed over 28 inches.  The walleye season runs through April 14th and starts up again May 15th for the MN Fishing Opener.
      On the Rainy River...   Five boat ramps are open on the Rainy River and there are 42 miles of open water for fishing.  Nelson Park in Birchdale, Frontier, Vidas (near Clementson), Timbermill Park in Baudette and the Wheeler's Point access at the mouth of the river 12 miles north of Baudette are all open.  
      River fishing has started out strong.  Good numbers of walleyes are being caught by some with trophy fish in the mix.  A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay through April 14th.
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be excellent with big numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      White suckers are on the move in some of the local rivers. Night crawler on a #6 hook and a 1/4 oz slip sinker brought many to shore the last two days. Crazy light biters. 

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Resorts have pulled off fish houses for the season.  There was some ice fishing happening this past weekend but ice conditions are deteriorating quickly.  Big pike and some nice walleyes were caught.  
      Big pike are setting up adjacent shallow water areas of bays, streams and shorelines setting up to spawn.  Soon those open water areas will turn on.  The pike season on LOW is open year round.  The limit is 3 pike.  Pike between 30 - 40 inches must be released.  One pike allowed over 40 inches.  
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is open and numerous boat ramps are open. Nelson Park in Birchdale, Frontier and Vidas (near Clementson) are all open boat ramps.  Timbermill in Baudette will be soon.  River fishing has started out strong.  Some nice walleyes are being caught and it should only get better as water warms.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay, catch and release only.
      Sturgeon fishing has been excellent with big numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 6/30/21.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.
      The majority of ice fishing is finished up at the Angle.  Some locals are still fishing but most are looking forward to open water.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.