• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

was up this past weekend, the three of us kept 9 total. threw back a 20 and a 24. caught a lot of the little ones. missed quite a few, they were biting very light. action was slow durning the mid day, most came in the morning or just before dark.

Fished LOW over the weekend and we did pretty good. Dont have total numbers for you all but between my dad, brother and me we brought home our limit of walleyes on Sunday plus some keeper saugers. We had a nice meal of fish on Saturday also. We went over pine island about 6 miles and set up base camp with the sleeper and from there we went and fished some structure with our portables and set up in 22 ft of water. We caught mostly walleye all weekend with a few sauger sprinkled in. The dandy of the weekend was my brothers 29 3/4 inch walleye which was suspended up 10ft off bottom. I would put a picture up if somebody would tell me how. I cant figure it out.

Daily Fishing Report (February 3, 2010): Today we will see snow showers early becoming more scattered later, high 17F with winds light and variable…there will be a 40% chance of snow. Tonight we should have scattered snow showers during the evening…then partly to mostly cloudy overnight, low 2F with winds light and variable…there will be a 30 % chance of snow. Wednesday should be mostly cloudy, highs in the upper teens and lows in the mid single digits. Thursday again should be mostly cloudy, highs in the mid 20s and lows in the mid teens. Friday there should be a chance of a few snow showers, highs in the mid 20s and lows in the upper teens. Today’s fishing report will come from me and our guides. The fishing over the weekend has picked up from last weeks “slow bite”. Yesterday I had the opportunity to wet the old fishing line for the first time in a few days…it was pleasantly refreshing. One of the people Jody and I were fishing with (Kristin B.) caught a number of nice slot Walleyes, one right after the other…it was great to see. We were fishing over on the U.S./Canadian line in 24 feet of water. The fish are out there…people are marking plenty of fish each and every day, but some days the fish are a tad bit finicky and you have to throw a few more lures at them to see if it will entice them to bite. All the action is still taking place, west of Pine Island and north of Graceton/Zipple in 32 – 36 feet of water. We have still been doing very well in our houses, which are only accessible by fishing with the Wigwam Resort…they are located on west side of Pine Island straight out from Zipple. Our houses are currently in 32 to 36 feet of water, and as of this morning 32 to 34 feet has been the magic depth again…the fish are deep. The lures showing the best success rates are the “Gold Disco Ball”, the Pink or White Florescent “Stop Sign”, “Macho Minnows” and “Chubby Darter/Rapala Rattling Jig” (all can be purchased at the Log Cabin Bait store approximately ¾ of a mile before the Wigwam on 172). You will want to get anything that glows right now, whether it is pink or white. Also give the plain gold jigs/disco balls a try. The ice thickness out there is currently 24-28 inches. Adrian’s road is open for business…trucks are going out everyday. But again, just a little reminder, if you want to fish by the Wigwam’s houses, you have to come with us. The only types of transportation that will get you out to our houses are track vehicles and snowmobiles…no trucks. We are currently fishing the “Reefs”, but only 40 can fish a day…book your spot today. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods, come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier

Fished Tues & Wed, Tues was slow with lots of small Saugers end up with two in the bucket for two of us. Fished 36 ft than moved out to over 40 with same results. Wed lots of small saugers as well and small eyes also but ended up with 6 nice eaters to keep. fished in 38 ft of water and had lots of action lots of small fish to keep you busy. Talked with people from the reef they were mostly catching small fish as well. But did manage to get some in the slot they said. was my 5th trip to low and the slowest for fishing as well.

2 friends and I are coming up to the woods from thursday thru monday, was wondering what the fish are bittin on any advise would be great

hey vikes, I'm guesssing it might be tough this weekend, but I've been know to be wrong alot. Game plan for me is to soak a shinnerr on a plan red hook with a very light bobber, jigging with small than average jigging spoons might be the ticket too. of course I try the standard rattle varmits, buckshots, demon eyes the usual stuff. maybe just a glow hook with a split shot two inches abouve it tipped with a shinner head. hard to say what gonna happen. Good luck, boar

Was out today fishing the reefs and did pretty good on walleyes using a red lindy flyer tipped with two half shiners (head half). Fished two spots 32' about 50 yds from rocks and 30' right tight to rocks. 32' was a little better but thats hard to tell because I fished the 32' depth in the am til about 1pm. Only caught 5 saugers, 1 about 17" rest dinks. A couple of the Walleyes were full of mayfly (?) nymphs. Stayed away from the crowd today, and man was it peaceful.

later,

toddb

viles32: A good source of info is the LOW fishing report link at the top of the page. Go back a couple of pages and pick up some of the past posts. Good info there. Also stay versatile with your presentations and watch the electronics and you'll see the reaction to your baits and adjust from there. Some days smaller is defiinitley better. have a good trip. cool

Adrians road is out over 10 miles now. I don't recall the road ever going out that far in the past. Last weekend we went to the end of the road and then a little more. We were 35-36 FOW. If you avoid the drifts and berms it appeared you could go pretty much anywhere in a 4x4. The snow was settled and hard.

I fished just northeast of Gull Rock on Friday and Saturday morning. I fished alone and did alright Friday. It was not fast by any means. I ended up catching 15 fish. Brought home 4 nice Walleyes (17's and 18's), my limit in Saugers, and a huge perch. Caught most of them in the afternoon. I was only able to fish in the morning on Saturday and only caught 5 very small saugers.

Vikes32, I just got back today from there today. Fished Thursday-Saturday and ate fish everyday. We fished north of Gull rock on the reef on Thursday and only got a few fish. We fished out of long point on Friday and Saturday and headed West to about 28ft. We caught 40 Walleyes and Saugers with only about 4 keepers plus one northern & 3 nice perch. Saturday was slower but nicers fish.

Lures that worked best was an orange bannana jig or orange 3/16oz lead head, smaller jigs worked better than larger ones, lindy rattler (smaller was better).

Went out of Adrians on Fri and Sat. Friday we posted up about 4 miles out from the island in ~31ft. Caught 3 keepers pretty slow. On Sat. we posted up about 1.8 miles out in 26-27ft and proceeded to pound them. I caught all my fish on a plain white hook with a shiner. Partner caught quite a few on a white buckshot. He used a plain white hook in the hole right next door and caught one. Funny how that works sometimes. We caught around 50 fish on Sat. 5 17"s 3 15"s and our saugers for our limit. No Pics but a good trip. Fun drive home yesterday ugh

hello everyone. wife and i are heading up thurs night till monday staying at sportsmans. any hot spots or depths working real well??

Fished out of Arnesen's yesterday in about 29 fow. We did fairly well with about 50 fish or so throughout the day. Kept 22 for four adults and two kids. Nice mix of saugers and walleyes. No slot fish however. Bite was pretty light and a lot of fish were missed and/or spit the hook. Marked quite a few fish coming in off the bottom and a couple suspended around 14' but couldn't get them to bite. I also graphed what looked to be baitfish at 12' for a quite awhile. Not sure what it was but it definitely wasn't a solid mark. Any thoughts on this? All in all, it was a peaceful day on the lake due to the big game. Too bad it wasn't the Vikes hoisting the trophy or I'd still be up there celebrating & fishing.

Guys, I'm heading up the last of Feb with the intent of renting a sleeper from Arnesen's Any specific dos or don'ts? I've never fish LOW thru the ice before, but have had plenty of experience around Duluth. Any info is much appreciated. Thanx.

Hey guys,

First off i just wanted to say that i am new here, but have been reading for quite some time. anywho, i will be going up on the 12th with the gf and fishing with ballards on sat. but on sunday we are going to take my portable, i will only have my trailblazer and was curious to where i should fish on sun. where i wont get stuck, not a huge fan of pack fishing as i like it quiet. what kind of depth should i try and find since i heard the mud flats have been kind of slow. also does anyone still have shinners left, do you use frozen for jigging? and new hot colors? any help would be great.

Thanks

tipups: Thanks for the reply. I figured they were some sort of bait fish due to the mark on the graph. I would assume this is the main culprit as to why people are seeing fish suspended like that.

Haven't been up there for a while, but if I was gonna target Adrian's/Wheeler's Pt. I'd head deep seems to be where people are fishing, however from past personal experiences I've found its hit or miss on the end of the road...I usually just opt to try and fish in 25-27 feet of water...so I generally only travel a mile at most from pine island(I'm betting the road is like 10 miles long now, so I fish considerably shallower) and head to the right(towards the river)...it deepens ina few places as you travel eastward. Their will probably be a congregation of houses way off to the right...I typically will head down the main road, find an offshoot used by the resorts for their rentals(purple are adrians) and head towards that far off grouping. I never like to crowd people and would rather fish aways away from anyone, so if I can I will go to the end off the side road and try and get a little further...sometimes its hard though and it can take a while "packing" your own trail so I get out early(6am at the latest). I guess what works for me best is to fish away from people and definelty away from truck travel, I've never really had good luck if I can hear the main road from where I'm at....good luck, hope that helps...

thanks icefishingdude,

I was kinda thinking the same thing, get away from everybody, but not to far, i dont know the lake at all, just been up there once 2 years ago, but i remember pine island, i think i'm gonna target some shallower water due im only gonna fish till noon, and if so i will move deeper if needed. but thanks for the help.

Do frozen shiners work as well as alive shiners?

Frozen/salted shiners work but are tough to keep on. They are a real pita when fishing deep water. If you miss a fish, it is gone. If you jig too hard, it falls off. Sometimes they even fall off when letting your jig down the hole.

Just a tip for keeping a salted minnow on longer... use a quick snap dropper treble from your spoon. Undo the quick snap, run the dropper up through the body and out the mouth and snap it back on the spoon. Works like a charm.