• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake O'Dowd Fishing Reports

superiorfishguy

The son-in-law went out Sunday night too late for me to go out, but he had lots of crappies hit at all depths. All C/R but some had decent size to them.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• slipbobbin

• PanFisherman14

• Twins 57 Fan

The best time is during the night after the lake has calmed down. Don't be afraid to try shallow 5-8' for some bigger fish.

The best time is during the night after the lake has calmed down. Don't be afraid to try shallow 5-8' for some bigger fish.

even this late in the ice year?

It's funny that you say that because I was fishing walleyes last night pretty late, and I saw a lot of fish coming thru on the vex about 4 feet under the ice. You think those were crappies? That's cool. If I go back down there I will give it a try. Thanks

Those where deffently crappies I was out there last night also got 4 of them that where 3 feet under the ice.

Thanks, I wasn't planning on going back after catching the 5 small walleyes that I tossed back. But if my other crappie spot doesn't pick up, I will probably be back down there. I couldn't believe all the fish I was seeing on the vex up high. That thing was lit up like a xmas tree.

I have seen the crappies up high like this before. I have a spot on tonka for sunfish, and usually in February the crappies come in above the sunfish, and we manage to get them to bit on eurolarvae during the day. For some reason, they don't want anything to do with the waxworms. We might want to try the eurolarvae trick on those crappies that are up high before the sun goes down? I probably won't be back there for a while, but if you go out and try the eurolarvae trick, let me know if it works down there? Thanks, Pikeguy.

Ya I did the euro trick they didn't want it at all. Minow head on a very small jig was the ticket last night. I also graphed way more fish than I caught. I couldn't belive all the fish on graph last night at all depths too. It actually made it kinda hard to see your jig or read the graph with all the red yellow on the graph.

i tried tonight for crappies in the east side of the big island in 10 to 18 ft of water and couldnt mark any thing on the vex?

That's a bummer that the euro trick didn't work. I know what you mean, the vex doesn light up like a xmas tree over there, and it was difficult to read the vex at times. I was amazed at the amount of fish that were just under the ice. It looks like it is going to really small minnows, and minnow heads for a while. Talk to you soon, pikeguy.

• 4 months later...

Was out yesterday on O'Dowd and fishing was pretty slow. We found as many small sunfish as you could possibly want to catch, but not much else. I did happen to catch a 2 lb. bass, but that was the only fish that was bigger than a 5 year old's hand. The weather was nice and MOST of the water skiers were respectful. The fish were biting on everything: crawlers, leeches, even caught a few sunnies on fatheads. We didn't see too many people catching much of anything aside from the small sunnies.

I dunno. I've caught some nice bass in O'Dowd (17-18 inch range), and I lost one which was easily 5+ lbs. As far as the sunnies go- there are some larger sunfish in the lake, you just need to find them. Haven't fished there this year yet, however.

I took my kids out around 3:30 and fished from shore for 30 minutes. Hit a spot with probably 30 small sunnies. Too bad they were not better sized, might have kept a few. And they definitely were biting at anything. At one point I just threw a hook out, nothing on it, and it was working.

I have had a few neighbors say they have caught some 3 lb bass out there in the last year. So I think they are out there.

I dunno. I've caught some nice bass in O'Dowd

I will agree with you on that...bass being the exception. I have seen a 6+ pounder out of there too.

Went last thursday and hit a 17" Walleye in the morning before 8am and then nothing but bass and bullheads jigging. We went deeper to the 22ft range and fished crappie from the bottom. They were all decent size but didnt keep any. Last fall a buddy and I took out two 6.25lb bass by the small island. You can find some hawgs out there. Anyone have luck with Pike on this lake the last two years? I have had good luck years ago but nothing lately.

We were out last week and I got two pike on shad raps in about an hours time. We also picked up 5 or 6 bass between 14-18"

Fished odowd for the first time this year. Pretty slow for a bit. Ended up doing ok on scum frogs in the thick stuff. I thought it may be too early for froggies but thats all we got them on today.

Here is a peek at one of the good ones we landed.

5pounderodowd.jpg

Wow, I was out last week on Odowd and couldn't buy a bite on a frog. Tried it in all types of different areas too and not even the slightest interest. Good to hear someone did ok. I'll have to try some different spots I guess next time I'm out and see if the frog can produce.

Very nice fish. The picture I posted Friday on the pictures thread of the 20 3/4" fish I caught was on Odowd last Thursday, but like I said, I wasn't finding them in the slop. Did you by chance venture way back into the bay on the south end through the skinny channel? I didn't make it back there and am curious how bad the weed growth is in there. Its always alot cleaner water it seems, so you'd think the fish would love it, but it seems so secluded.

I went back there. It is starting to grow up pretty quick. Had to work the trolling motor pretty hard to move around. Didnt pay off much back there for me. Caught a few but not really worth the effort we put in back there. Did better on some of the other shorelines in the main lake and back by the golf course.

did really good there on saturday we had a club tourny there and we had a few fish over 5lbs comein and i weighed in one that was just over 7. I love that lake!

Huh, some guy that looks like you sent me a pic via text message that looks a lot like this one.

Let's get out some time.

RP

Dude, you didn't catch that fish, I know you better than that............

Nice fish, Carson and I are chasing panfish tomorrow on Prior. gotta try out the new prop

All I do is catch big fish. dont tell my wife or she wil make me get a summer job smile

What an awesome idea, I will mention that to her this morning.....

Who hooked that fish for you Brian? Lord knows you can't hook'em yourself. ;-)

• 1 month later...

Deep weedline bite, or shallow slop and/or docks? Headed there Saturday and/or Sunday.