• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting Accident in Sibley County

Augusta

Minn. Stat. §97B.065 HUNTING WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL OR A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE.

Subdivision 1. Acts prohibited. (a) A person may not take wild animals with a firearm

or by archery:

(1) when the person is under the influence of alcohol;

(2) when the person is under the influence of a controlled substance, as defined in section

152.01, subdivision 4;

(3) when the person is under the influence of a combination of any two or more of the

elements in clauses (1) and (2);

(4) when the person's alcohol concentration is 0.08 or more;

(5) when the person's alcohol concentration as measured within two hours of the time of

taking is 0.08 or more; or

(6) when the person is knowingly under the influence of any chemical compound or

combination of chemical compounds that is listed as a hazardous substance in rules adopted under

section 182.655 and that affects the nervous system, brain, or muscles of the person so as to

substantially impair the person's ability to operate a firearm or bow and arrow.

(B) An owner or other person having charge or control of a firearm or bow may not authorize

or permit an individual the person knows or has reason to believe is under the influence of alcohol

or a controlled substance, as provided under paragraph (a), to possess the firearm or bow in

this state or on a boundary water of this state.

© A person may not possess a loaded or uncased firearm or an uncased bow afield under

any of the conditions in paragraph (a).

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandmannd

• BigGrassBass

• paceman

• tealitup

I am speechless. That poor kid didn't have a chance....

I hate to say it, but I feel terrible for everyone but.......

Wow, that is an insane turn. I had posted earlier that I got more angry with the Dad as I read how reckless he was out hunting. This explains a lot. Put the drugs asside, do you think it's wise to drink and hunt with your son, let alone anytime? Come on folks, there's a time and place to do it. Can't people enjoy the outdoors with out alchohol and/or drugs? I had my days of drinking, now I drink maybe a couple of times a year. I do it in my back yard while having a bbq and if someone had one too many, they stay the night period.

This is a sad tragedy and I feel horrible for everyone, even the Dad. Couldn't imagine the horror he has to live with. But, reading the story, I hope he get procecuted and put a way. There is no excuse for what he did.

I used to think that loosing your son was punishment enough for this guy but Ive now changed my mind.

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

When this came out it was tragic. Now it is just sad.

Sometimes all traditions are not worth passing on.

Feel bad for the kid, and his mom.

Not so much for dad.

I agree, I have no respect or simpothy for the Father anymore. I feel horible for such a young boy to loose his life and for the family of the boy all because of a selfish person.

There are so many things that ran through my head when I read this story. But, I will use my better judgement and not post them on here. It's bad enough that the father was drinking, but then you add drugs into the mix?? Very, very disheartening...

I feel horrible for the family and their loss of an innocent boy. My prayers go out to the family...

Poor Kid!! I was feeling the same emotions as you guys originally. Then this info comes out about the father, so disheartining. His BAC wasn't that high at the time they tested him but who knows what it was before or during the incident, but you add some weed on top of drinking..... Just blows my mind. I don't like to cast stones but man... could go on with my disgust but whatever. The child should have never been in that situation.

I feel bad for the mother and boy.

Throw the book at the dad.

this is a reminder what Alcohal and other chemicals can do to ones judgment. So lets keep in mind if we pick up that beer you may feel you have control of you faculties but you are never in full control when you have mood altering chemicals in your system.

Really sad situation.. Kid had no chance to grow up normal. Just think dad drove him to the hunt under the influence as well... Some people should not be parents!

It is getting worse. This morning the TV said the shooting was not accidental according to the sheriff down there... The guy had a mental condition.

Well, since the TV said it, it must be true.

Go start rumors somewhere else.

I hadn't heard the mental illness thing. I'm good friends with the Sheriff and he had said to me a couple weeks ago already that the media was already making some false statement in the paper and on TV. Two of the other deputies that were on scence that I'm also friends with had told me that there was more to the story that was going to come out , but couldn't elaborate obviously. I was trying to figure out what it would be for the last couple weeks , but I never guessed this!

As has been stated before, this is a very sad story no matter what happened that day. Lets try and keep only the facts here and not go to the rumor mill.

Originally Posted By: doser
I hadn't heard the mental illness thing. I'm good friends with the Sheriff and he had said to me a couple weeks ago already that the media was already making some false statement in the paper and on TV.

What?? The media not reporting facts? When did this start? mad.gif Like they ever report only facts. Some of the fish wraps around here really bite when it comes to what to report on.

Terrible story.

Does anyone think mom will be held accountable? She must have know Dad like to drink and drive, smoke the weed, and I am guessing, used bad judgement on a number of times.

My prayers are with his son, he never had a chance growing up in that house.

Stupid - just plain stupid. This was not an accident it was an event that was bound to happen sometime with guy.

We can all agree that this was a horrible tragedy. Let's look at everything that was going on at the time of the shooting. The dad was drinking and smoking dope, which certainly clouds anyones judgment, and in addition to that, he was poaching, as he had no license, and was trespassing.

( Note from admin,please read forum policy before posting agasin,thank-you)

Originally Posted By: Kidd
I would bet any amount of money that what was going through his head at the time of the shooting was to kill a bird quick and get the "H" out of there before he got caught. This thinking is what made him pull the trigger prior to identifying his target.

Good point, which makes this all the more tragic...

The man lost his son and that is quite tragic. I'm not sure how it gets any worse. One can continue to point fingers all month long but it will not change anything.

The man made a huge mistake in his thinking and is now paying the ultimate price for it. I just don't believe that we need to continue to pick this person apart.

There is nothing to gain from this anymore and hopefully some, who may hunt the same way, will take notice and learn from it.

I would assume that if GOD can forgive him, maybe we all can too.

Well said Harvey Lee.

This man obviously has some demons he is fighting and now on top of that he has lost his son. I agree with everyone that we need to keep the mother and kid in our prayers but we also need to pray for the man who shot his son as well. Maybe he can finally use this to put those demons to rest and use this as an example of what can happen and educate others. Nothing can change what happened that day. But maybe getting the story out there can prevent it from happening again somewhere else.

I'm not one to judge, that power was handed down a couple thousand years ago.

I feel bad for the family and the dad...but it still really bugs me.

I would LOVE to take a son/daughter hunting with me. Unfortunately, my wife and I can't have kids.

It is hard to think why people that treat their kids like this are allowed to have a family and I am not. Kids are a blessing, treat them that way!

Originally Posted By: Hammer Handle
I feel bad for the family and the dad...but it still really bugs me.

I would LOVE to take a son/daughter hunting with me. Unfortunately, my wife and I can't have kids.

It is hard to think why people that treat their kids like this are allowed to have a family and I am not. Kids are a blessing, treat them that way!

I agree with you HH. I feel bad for everyone and sad for the Dad for what he has to grieve for. But..and it's a huge BUT, I have absolutely no respect for him and he should get the book thrown at him. This was all on him and his irresponsibility. This child should be alive. Is drinking and pot so important to you that you put others lives in danger? Then you need to stay home and not have kids. I don't drink hardly ever, and wouldn't even concider it when out hunting. To me the outdoors is a natural high.

HH, I know where you're coming from on not being able to have kids. We were in the same boat. I discusts me to see how some people that keep popping them out treat them and then good folks can't have any. Seems unfair. My wife and I adoption and it's been the best thing to ever happen to me in my life. I would encourage you to look into it if you would like children. They are what makes life, life.

Wow, where does one begin with this topic. I just spent the better part of an hour reading every single reply to this topic. I am originally from Arlington and when I first heard of this tragic event, I couldn't help but think what pain this guy must be going through. Some weird coincidences, the location (my home area) and my oldest son, who is 3 1/2 is also named Hunter, and loves to tag along whenever I will allow. I am trying my best to teach him the right way to do things, both ethically and legally. This situation only reminds me just how important it is to teach our kids the right way to enjoy the outdoors. I admit that when I learned of the circumstances surrounding the accident that I am furious that someone could be so disregarding of the law to act this way, and basically show his kid that it is okay to do things like this, but I still feel sorrow for him. I honestly don't think that I could live with myself if I killed my own son. But I wouldn't have acted in the way that he did. I take pride in doing things ethically and legally. Yes, I enjoy a cold one now and then, but as mentioned by others, I never mix it with firearms. The ramifications of what could happen are to great. I don't want to pass judgement on anyone, that is for a greater being, and this poor fellow will have to live with what he did for the rest of his life, but he does need to be punished by the law for the various laws that were broken. It is just too bad that we had to find out that he was breaking the law by him shooting his son, and ultimately causing his death. No punishment handed down by a judge could possibly be greater than the burden of knowing that he snuffed the life out of a child that didn't get to know the true joys of the outdoors, and just live life to it's fullest. I don't know which emotion is running greater in me right now, saddness that a young life was lost due to the irresposible acts, or anger that someone could be that irresposible. Either way, nothing will bring this poor child back and the best that we can do as an outdoors community is to learn from what has happened, and do our best to make sure it doesn't happen again. Wether that is through educating our children or double checking ourselves as we head out the door to hunt or fish. I know that this event will forever be etched in my memory, especially when I take my own Hunter out for his first hunt. As the saying goes, Fogive and Forget, let's forgive this guy as hard as that may be, but let's not forget what we have learned. We all know that guns and alcohol/drugs don't mix, and this is just a tough reminder of that. My heart and prayers go out to the whole family involved, and to the people that were at the scene trying to save this little boys life, as I am sure something like this changes them forever. Enough of my rant. God bless.

As I read this story, two separate emotions conflict.

First emotion is sadness for the family and the son.

The second is anger. This was pure carelessness. Let us not sugar coat it.

If you drive over the legal blood alcohol limit and kill someone, that is not an accident.

This dad will never pick up a gun again.

Anger will not bring back little Hunter. We can get as upset as we want but it will gain anything.

We all need to be a little more careful and make sure to remind all to be very careful when out hunting and educate all about gun safety.