• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting Accident in Sibley County

Augusta

Originally Posted By: brittman
Repectfully disagree Shoot2kill. Certainly leave his name out of the discussion (he has and will suffer enough).

But for the rest of us - focus on the incident that unfolded that day.

Whether it is a young mother leaving a child in hot car, a guy driving DUI & killing another or a hunting accident, it is a bigger tragedy if this incident is repeated again in another family.

Respectfully disagree with what? Sounds like we're on the same page. \:\) I said "obviously" like "duh" we know that, go easy on the poor guy. My post was meant for people to not assume anything like about the post I quoted where the poster asked if the dad ever took a hunters safety course and was throwing him under the bus without knowing a thing about him.

Yes, the focus should be on the incident and the family.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandmannd

• BigGrassBass

• paceman

• tealitup

There is a Memorial Fund set up via Wells Fargo Bank.

You can go to any Well Fargo and donate to (and please do) the

HUNTER RUSSELL KLASEUS MEMORIAL FUND

We will be doing a story on our radio show about this when we record tonight. The show will be available online by this weekend at http://www.theamericanoutdoorsman.com/AOradio.html

The story was brought to our attention by one of our listeners who had heard last weeks safety tip from our show (online now)which was to not shoot at a turkey unless you can see his eyes. All of us here have sons from age 6 to 14 and can only imagine the pain the father must feel. We are all sick about it.

We will get this story out to 1) get people to donate to the fund and 2) hopefully prevent another tragedy. We know number 2 can be done as we have heard stories of hunters thinking twice before shooting based on safety advice we or others had given.

Keep spreading the word! Safety 1st!!!!!!!!! Dinner second...

Good Luck!

Ken

Scott, thanks for the post. Is your show on locally in the cities at all?

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
Scott, thanks for the post. Is your show on locally in the cities at all?

No, not at this time. We are in Kansas City and one of our listeners brought this to my attention. The show is available online though via our website. One of our online listeners lives in Winona and we had just talked about this in our second segment where a guy almost shot his uncle because his uncle sat down, pant legs came up and he had red and blue stripes on his socks. The guy thought it was a turkey and the words of one of our TV hosts came to him - "Don't shoot at that turkey unless you can see his eyes." The next thing the guy knew, what he thought was a turkey lit a cigarette. Our listener shared how awful it was that the father of this little boy was unable to hear that message. That show is up on our site right now and you would only have to listen to about 1/4 of it to hear that part.

Let this tragedy have a purpose to educate others on what is at risk when using a firearm and the importance of safety. Let it also serve as a reminder that our children deserve our time and attention. This young man died while hunting with his father, though it is a tragedy that he had to, die at least for his short life he had a father who loved him enough to want to spend his time in the outdoors with his son. It can not releave the pain of loss but to remember he was apperently loved helps. Nothing can punish this family more than they have already been.

So let us learn from this so it will save more lives and this life did not end in vain.

In the the early 90's I attended one of the Minnesota DNR's turkey hunter clinics. I don't recall too much of the tactics or calling strategies that were discussed but I still remember three very crucial safety points made that day. We are restricted to 4,5, or 6 shot because it minimzes lethal range on people. Bigger shot penetrates more and carries further. The second point was to not use gobble calls as some one could start stalking you, even on private property. And the third point was to never try to stalk a turkey. The chances of getting close enough for a shot are minnimal. And as you stalk you sound just like a turkey walking through the woods. Shooting from an ambush alows you to positively identify your target and to survey what is around you that you don't want to shoot. If approached by another hunter don't move but call out to them in a clear voice to let them know you are there. Far better to spook a bird than be mistaken for one. They pointed out that the people most likely to shoot someone were experianced turkey hunters. Their reason for experianced hunters shooting someone was that the guy/gal may think they have a reputation to uphold for always getting a bird.

This is one of the reasons I really don't care for any type of hunting competion/contests. People using a firearm or any lethal weapon in the field should just enjoy the hunt and not worry about points, getting on the board, or getting bragging rights. Some people enjoy the competition more than the hunt and can push limits and common sense to win, the same is true for some who want to show off for friends and family.

I don't know why the father didn't sit next his son and try to call the birds in, but I hope everyone will remeber his son, Hunter, the next time they think of stalking turkeys. You may not be as alone as you thought you were.

In todays Strib outdoor's section: Turkey hunter who killed his young son had no license

Sad sad story.

Originally Posted By: Scott Bethel
There is a Memorial Fund set up via Wells Fargo Bank.

You can go to any Well Fargo and donate to (and please do) the

HUNTER RUSSELL KLASEUS MEMORIAL FUND

We will be doing a story on our radio show about this when we record tonight. The show will be available online by this weekend at http://www.theamericanoutdoorsman.com/AOradio.html

The story was brought to our attention by one of our listeners who had heard last weeks safety tip from our show (online now)which was to not shoot at a turkey unless you can see his eyes. All of us here have sons from age 6 to 14 and can only imagine the pain the father must feel. We are all sick about it.

We will get this story out to 1) get people to donate to the fund and 2) hopefully prevent another tragedy. We know number 2 can be done as we have heard stories of hunters thinking twice before shooting based on safety advice we or others had given.

by any wells fargo, do you mean ANY? so if i went to duluth and donated they would know what i was talking about?

i feel like bawling like a schoolgirl when i read that story.

Originally Posted By: sdstatekid
I am in South Dakota so i haven't seen any news story but is it 100% sure that he shot into the brush or is there a possibility that he shot at a turkey and his kid was behind it?

I know that sounds farfetched but it happened to a guy from arlington when he and his best friend were turkey hunting out here a couple years ago. The guy that got shot was working his way back to where his buddy was and his buddy didn't know it, the shooter thought that the other guy was still half mile away. A turkey had walked out into the field and it ended up standing where the shooter was looking directly into the sun. His buddy was directly in line about 20 yards behind the turkey and he had no idea he was there so when he shot he hit his buddy in the chest and the face. Is this an accident? I think it is, the shooter had no idea his buddy was right in the line of fire, he thought he was a half mile away.

No matter what happened I feel horrible for everyone involved and I hope they get through it, and I hope other hunters learn from this terrible incident.

I was thinking the same thing.

No matter what comes out in the end, this father made a mistake. I do not care what others think, but I feel for him and I am saddened by the loss of young Hunter.

I know what I am going to do with a $20 bill I have in my pocket today at launch. I have to go to the bank anyways.

From the Star Tribune.

The Belle Plaine man who fatally shot his 8-year-old son in the chest while turkey hunting Saturday did not have a license to hunt.

Anthony Klaseus, 39, paid $3 to enter a lottery and was drawn for a license. But he failed to buy the $18 license to hunt legally, said Sibley County Sheriff Bruce Ponath and authorities from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

It's one of the most common violations, said Mike Hammer, DNR education coordinator in the enforcement division.

The DNR can cite violators directly only if they're caught in the act, he said, but can investigate cases after the fact and forward them to the county attorney's office for possible charges.

Ponath said the license violation is part of the larger investigation, which his office hopes to complete in seven to 10 days.

Klaseus was hunting with his son, Hunter, in a Sibley County farm field. He told his son, Hunter, to stay put as he snuck into nearby woods, but the boy followed. His father mistook him for a turkey and shot him with a 12-gauge shotgun. Both were wearing camouflage gear, which is legal for turkey hunting.

Ponath said one of the property owner's sons has said Klaseus didn't have permission to hunt there. Authorities are investigating whether another of the owner's sons may have granted permission.

Hunters can hunt on private, non-agricultural land without asking permission if the property does not have "no trespassing" signs posted or if they have not been told by the owner to stay off.

Klaseus does not have any hunting or fishing violations on record, according to the DNR.

Hunter's funeral was held Wednesday. He would have turned 9 next week

So from this story the father did not have a license and was trespassing. Wow, opinion changing a little

It's soo dang sad. The more of this story I hear the worse I feel. The bad thing is that I'm starting to feel angry at the Dad. If he was so into hunting, how did he not have a license and hunting on land he had no permission for. Just keeps getting worse. I agree with other posts I've read. You should have stayed with you boy and called the bird to you.

I'm good friends with three of the guys that were on the scene. One was the Sherrif and two others were investigators. I talked with one of the invd. and said the situation was just terrible and has seen alot of stuff , but this one was hard to handle. I feel for the family and can't even imagine. They also said there was a camera man on scene before the rescue squad got there. Unmarked van with no identification shooting about 200 hund. yards away. Said when he saw it on TV couldn't believe how close they could zoom with those cameras.

Lets not stray from the real tragedy here A Boy is gone for ever and no matter how angry we get about it nothing will compare with the pain the father feels. I dont care what took place before hand he did not mean to kill his ONLY SON no punishment will compare to what he has to live with until he is reunited with his son in heaven. When that day comes Hunter will tell him its ok dad at least you took the time to be with me and Im sorry for not listening to you and the pain you have helded onto all these years. Please dont judge him and what happened just learn from it and take the time to take your children hunting and watch them carefully. In Hunters memory may more parents take the time to be with your kids now! You will have all the time in the world when they are grown up for yourselves.

Respectfully yours

MOM(mom on a mission)

Cubmaster,Webelos leader,Cub scout day camp director, Girl Scout leader, Usc Pto member, Archery instuctor for youth,And the most important job ever Mother of a 9 and 6 year old who love to hunt, fish, and shoot archery and have since they where old enough to walk. We can change the world one kid at a time

saddie nice post.

That will be the first thing that will be forgotten, he was out interacting with his son and having fun with his kid.

Originally Posted By: saddie
Lets not stray from the real tragedy here A Boy is gone for ever and no matter how angry we get about it nothing will compare with the pain the father feels. I dont care what took place before hand he did not mean to kill his ONLY SON no punishment will compare to what he has to live with until he is reunited with his son in heaven. In Hunters memory may more parents take the time to be with your kids now! You will have all the time in the world when they are grown up for yourselves.

Just right, saddie.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Very tragic. I never want to feel that God take me instead.

Please watch your unwanted comments.

Sandmannd I agree with you.

I have to keep my thoughts to myself since they are not warranted in time of tragedy.

I send prayers to the family... They buried a son who was way to young to lose his life.

I had stated that I felt some anger towards the Dad for not following some basic safety. That being said, I feel much more sadness for him for loosing his child in this tragedy. It should have been provented, but it wasn't and that is the deffenition of "Accident".

I really feel for the father. What a hard and terrible way to learn a lesson.

He was hunting illegally (no license and tresspassing) and I assume did not care whether he shot a tom or a hen...and shot at a noise (movement) in the grass. All "right" and "safe" things went out the window.

Terrible way to learn your lesson....

You have to feel pretty badly for the fella but like you said a tough lesson. That funeral has to be a painful place to be for all. I also feel badly for the hunters our here like myself and most all of my hunting friends that put much effort into teaching our kids the right and legal way of doing things so that things like this do not happen and we can continue to have this "priviledge" rather than having it taken away from us with headlines like the one we had last weekend. We have to stick up for ourselves and educate others about how this "hunter/shooter" really hurts our passion and it isn't right to let that headline reflect on the vast majority of us doing it right. It could help bring an end or hardship to hunting. Good hunting out there and continued safety and enjoyment and one more time I do feel badly for the family and friends that will have to live with this forever in their minds.

I agree with Hammer Handle, this is terrible that a 8 year old had to die. HOWEVER, this does not EXCUSE the dad for making the bad choices that he did. This tragedy could and should have never happened.

So many here are glossy over the fact that this never ever would have happened if the father had been SURE that his target was not only a turkey, but a turkey with a visable beard.

Yes, the father will have to live with his actions for the rest of this life. HE WAS responsible for his son death.

Vickie

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

None of us have all the facts. Let's be sure none of us is hurtful in our posts here.

It's a tragic situation and I expect no members will make this tougher on the family than what they already have to deal with.

Please be sure to be compassionate in this thread.

I cringe at the thought of what they are going through and will always have to go through. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of them.

This incident is a bad, bad situation, no matter who is at fault. This only reinforces the need to be safe and teach younger ones the reasons to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for posting I was just getting ready to

Hunter who killed son had beer, pot in his system

Belle Plaine father shot and killed son with alcohol and marijuana in his system.

By CHAO XIONG, Star Tribune

Last update: May 5, 2008 - 4:08 PM

The Belle Plaine man who fatally shot his 8-year-old son in the chest last month while turkey hunting had alcohol and marijuana in his system at the time, according to a felony second-degree manslaughter charge filed today.

Anthony Klaseus, 39, is also charged with felony reckless discharge of a firearm and two misdemeanor charges, trespassing and hunting turkeys without a license, according to Sibley County court documents.

According to the charges:

Klaseus told authorities that he told his son, Hunter, to stay put as he circled a field to approach turkeys about 5 p.m. April 19 in a field east of Crahan Lane near County Road 6 in Sibley County.

"Then I heard something snap or break near me, and a large figure rose up," he told authorities. "I thought it was a turkey, and I shot and it went down. I thought I shot the turkey. Then my son jumped back up screaming and then fell back down."

Klaseus and paramedics performed CPR on Hunter, but he died at the scene.

Klaseus blew a breath test at the scene that registered a blood-alcohol concentration of .06 percent, the charges said. A urine test later showed that he also had marijuana in his system, although the exact concentration won't be known for a few weeks.

At the scene, authorities found two 12-packs of beer, three six-packs of beer, an empty 24-pack of beer and a marijuana pipe in Klaseus' truck, the charges show. The packs of beer contained empty and full cans.