• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting Accident in Sibley County

Augusta

I know I was a little worked up about it, but I spent the weekend on a youth turkey hunt and the things that we preach to our kids about safe gun use and safe hunting should be the same rules we follow as adults.

I don't want to criticize the father as much as I criticize the decisions and the circumstances. Those are the things that can be learned from.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandmannd

• BigGrassBass

• paceman

• tealitup

The news story I heard was that the father and son were sitting together on a woodline. They saw a group of turkeys on the other side of the open field. The father told his son to stay where he was and he (father) was going to try and stalk them. His son would have a nice vantage point to watch the action.

The father went after the birds and the son moved to a different direction (as told not to do). Then the child was taken from this world from a tragic accident.

We have no idea if the father shot at a moving turkey, standing turkey or at movement. Fact, the child is dead from an accident and we do not know any other facts. God Bless

Seems the vast majority of hunting accidents in MN occur within the same hunting party. Deer, upland, waterfowl, now turkey...

Quote:
The father went after the birds and the son moved to a different direction (as told not to do).

I am having trouble with that comment in quotes, the only person that made any mistake(s) was the father. Why would you EVER, EVER leave a 9 year old alone in the woods?

Hope everyone can learn from this...

I cant imagine what it would be like to have to deal with something like that. My heart goes out to Tony and his family. He is a good guy.

There seems to be quite a few different stories people are posting on here. This is a copy of the article in the Strib this morning. Hopefully this clears a few things up for us. It's a tragic accident that could have been avoided, but still tragic none the less. My heart goes out to all affected.

Here's the article from the Strib 4-21-08

Anthony Klaseus had no reason to think that his hunting companion -- his 8-year-old son -- was nearby as he waited for wild turkeys to come within range Saturday evening in Sibley County.

The 39-year-old Belle Plaine man had told the boy, Hunter, to stay where he was -- well out of range -- as he stalked the wildfowl near County Road 6 in Faxon Township, about 3 miles west of Belle Plaine.

But Hunter, caught up in the excitement of the chase and eager to catch up with his dad, headed toward him.

Hunter, dressed in camouflage, was 20 to 30 yards away, in a grassy area near the woods where his father stood, when his father mistook him for a turkey and fired his 12-gauge shotgun, said Sibley County Sheriff Bruce Ponath.

Hunter was hit in the chest.

"To say that he was distraught would be an understatement," the sheriff said of the father.

Klaseus called 911 from his cell phone at 6:25 p.m.

Klaseus then carried his wounded son about a quarter-mile to where emergency personnel could get to him, Ponath said.

But efforts to revive the boy failed and Hunter was pronounced dead at the scene.

The shooting remains under investigation, but the sheriff characterized it as a tragic accident.

Last year, two people died in hunting accidents in Minnesota, according to a report released this month by the state Department of Natural Resources. There were 23 incidents of hunters being shot at, either by themselves, others in their hunting party, strangers or, in one case, a dog.

Hunter's family did not return calls Sunday.

Pat Pribyl, principal at Raven Stream Elementary School in New Prague, where Hunter was a third-grader, echoed the feelings of many when he said, "A lot of people are in shock. It just doesn't seem possible."

Hunter was an active, eager student who wrestled in a children's league and loved the outdoors, Pribyl said. He recently had written and illustrated a book about hunting with his father for a class.

"He was an intelligent little boy," he said. "Fun-loving, full of energy."

On Sunday, Raven Stream's faculty members were informed of Hunter's death. They will meet this morning before school to talk about how to help his fellow students cope with his death.

Teachers will talk to their classes about the accident and counselors will be available, Pribyl said. Counselors also will ride the school bus Hunter took each morning.

Pribyl said that he spoke with Hunter's mother Sunday and that funeral plans are pending. "She was very shook up and for lack of a better word, devastated," he said.

In addition to his parents, Hunter is survived by two sisters, Alison, 11, and Ashley, 12.

I feel for the man BUT!!!!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD NEVER SHOOT UNLESS YOU ARE SURE OF WHAT IS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did he the father ever take a hunting class????????????? if not he should have it & never would have happened!! If not SURE of what it is DON"T SHOOT!!!!!!!!!! poor guy will never go hunting again , i know i wouldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! god will watch over the famly and the boy!!!!!!!!

I stayed for 80% of the hunter safety classes my son took last spring and it was worth it. Great way to reinforce what was taught to your son or daughter.

The deputies and warden running the class said over and over "there is no such thing as an accident in hunting".

You can tell from the boy's first name that his father loved hunting. The time spent with my son hunting now shadows my previous 30+ years of hunting and all the game I have taken. This is now taken away from this father.

Remind yourself that it is the overall experience that your after not just the kill. Everyone has a different level of training and experience. Be the leader in your hunting party (family or friends) to demand everyone understand that safety comes first.

Originally Posted By: keith schultz
I feel for the man BUT!!!!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD NEVER SHOOT UNLESS YOU ARE SURE OF WHAT IS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did he the father ever take a hunting class????????????? if not he should have it & never would have happened!! If not SURE of what it is DON"T SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously. Just everyone go easy here and don't be judging or assuming anything about the guy. It's a very tragic and horrible mistake and everyone knows it - don't everyone be jumping on the guy - it does nothing. Think what life will be like for that dad for the rest of his life.

Keep that family in your prayers...

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family!

Truly the most tragic of situations

DL

Repectfully disagree Shoot2kill. Certainly leave his name out of the discussion (he has and will suffer enough).

But for the rest of us - focus on the incident that unfolded that day.

Whether it is a young mother leaving a child in hot car, a guy driving DUI & killing another or a hunting accident, it is a bigger tragedy if this incident is repeated again in another family.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

On a side note, Why do reporters feel the need to intrude on the family at this time?

Quote from the article " Hunter's family did not return calls Sunday."

My God...... leave them alone.

I see this on the nightly news. Someone gets hurt or God forbid killed and the reporters are at the house interviewing the victims family that day. GRRRRrrr

Sorry for the rant.

Mike

I have thought about hunting on and off for years...the danger of it...I mean.

How many times have you heard of game popping up in a unexpected place and everyone blasts at it? Then, someone (who got cold, was walking) on the other side of the game gets shot?

Sad sad story.

I was nearly shot by a tresspassers twice. Once, the BBS hit all around me...and I only got one BB in my cheek. The other time, the rifle bullet hit in the tree right next to me. Man, did I hit the dirt!

People walk around in the woods while other people hunt and are not in the place they are supposed to be. Hunting does not always go as planned.

I for one am going to be wearing a piece of Blaze Orange whenever I am on the move while hunting. Especially Turkey hunting. I will switch hats when I am set up. I am also going to buy an orange game bag for carrying my turkey out. There is no such thing as being to safe.......

Well reading the other posts; we have no idea if he found a Tom and was stalking it around the same place his child was located. Wow, I feel for this guy. How many of us could have made a mistake where someone could have gotten hurt.

Originally Posted By: tealitup
Well reading the other posts; we have no idea if he found a Tom and was stalking it around the same place his child was located. Wow, I feel for this guy. How many of us could have made a mistake where someone could have gotten hurt.

"could have" made a mistake. I can think of plenty of times that I have passed on shots because I saw something and didn't know what it was. Was it the dog, someone else, maybe a hen, not the right species? Have I made mistakes, sure. I've never made a mistake with my gun. The consequences are too great.

People act as if it could've happened to anybody. Not if you follow the rules. Have you ever seen a person that looked like an animal? DO you know of any camo patterns that have red heads and long beards?

Originally Posted By: Hammer Handle
I have thought about hunting on and off for years...the danger of it...I mean.

How many times have you heard of game popping up in a unexpected place and everyone blasts at it? Then, someone (who got cold, was walking) on the other side of the game gets shot?

Almost NEVER! you're a lot safer hunting then doing just about anything else!

Very sad. Takes a lot out of you after hearing a story such as this. It happens all too often (mistaken identity) - there's absolutely no excuse for it. Thoughts & prayers are off to the family. I know Missouri requires a small bright sticker to be placed on your shotgun saying something like "know your target" or "be safe" or something to that extent, and I tell you what when you raise your gun on a target that sticker pops out at you. Should be required in every state IMO.

Exactly Powerstroke - if you notice ANYthing slightly off, just pass on the shot. Some people just get way too caught up in the moment, or greedy, or something. I don't know what it is. I've passed on countless pheasants just because I didn't know exactly where the rest of the hunting party was, or a car was driving down the road, or a house was in the area. There'll be other birds. There won't be another best friend, son, someone's eyesight, etc.

I've passed on more roosters than I think I've shot cause I couldn't identify the colors. It was the light or the angle of the bird or whatever. The dirty looks I get from my dog are priceless.

I think its important that hunters look at this as a teaching moment for themselves, for the young hunters and the non-hunters. We all need to realize the mistakes made and try to use them to be better hunters and better advocates for our sport. It is a very safe sport. It continues to be safer than some non-contact sports according to OSHA statistics.

This is not the place to assign blame, speculate or judge the decisions of the father. Law Enforcement will do that. Media reports what they are given and it has proven to be wrong. We should try to ignore the facts and and find the lessons.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke

This is not the place to assign blame, speculate or judge the decisions of the father. Law Enforcement will do that. Media reports what they are given and it has proven to be wrong. We should try to ignore the facts and and find the lessons.

Great point Powerstroke.

I just returned from turkey hunting, last night, and this tragedy is just unbelievable. There is absolutely NO WAY that a child looks like a tom turkey! First, turkeys are NOT dressed all in camo. Second, in the spring, there needs to be a visable beard on that gobbler. So, not only was the target not identified as a turkey, it certainly wasn't identitfied as a tom.

I had many hens come within range this past season, but clearly identified them. If not 100% certain pass on the shot. I did shoot a gobbler. There just is not ANY WAY to mistake a child for a tom turkey.

I am sure that dad did not intend to shoot his son. However, his actions speak for themselves as to what happened. He will live with his decision for the rest of his life.

Vickie

I understand your passion but what good will this do for the family? A mother just lost her son and now you want her husband in prison? There is no bringing this child back and the tragedy of the situation is truely horrible. How about we allow the family to bury and mourn their loss before we start throwing lawyers and passing judgement at them.

It's a pretty horrible situation. My thoughts and prayers go for the family.

I am in South Dakota so i haven't seen any news story but is it 100% sure that he shot into the brush or is there a possibility that he shot at a turkey and his kid was behind it?

I know that sounds farfetched but it happened to a guy from arlington when he and his best friend were turkey hunting out here a couple years ago. The guy that got shot was working his way back to where his buddy was and his buddy didn't know it, the shooter thought that the other guy was still half mile away. A turkey had walked out into the field and it ended up standing where the shooter was looking directly into the sun. His buddy was directly in line about 20 yards behind the turkey and he had no idea he was there so when he shot he hit his buddy in the chest and the face. Is this an accident? I think it is, the shooter had no idea his buddy was right in the line of fire, he thought he was a half mile away.

No matter what happened I feel horrible for everyone involved and I hope they get through it, and I hope other hunters learn from this terrible incident.

This is an unbelieveable tragedy and my thoughts and prayers go out to Hunter and his family and especially his Dad. The pain he will suffer would be unbearable. I can't even imagine. God be with them.

This is an unbelievable tragedy and my prayers go out to the family. Having said that this was an inexcusable accident. First of all who leaves their 9 year old child in the woods by themselves and starts stalking an animal. If you are taking a child that young you should plan on having the child by your side the entire hunt so you can share the experience and know that the child is safe at all times. This guy should never have lost site of his child and than decide to starting shooting at a noise. It saddens me that this guy was so ignorant to the safety precautions that need to be used in hunting, especially when you are with a child. It is a tragedy that a child has lost his life and the family will have to live with this loss all because of one persons ignorance. Being a father hearing this story made me sick.

Originally Posted By: stop'emfromfloppin
This is an unbelievable tragedy and my prayers go out to the family. Having said that this was an inexcusable accident. First of all who leaves their 9 year old child in the woods by themselves and starts stalking an animal. If you are taking a child that young you should plan on having the child by your side the entire hunt so you can share the experience and know that the child is safe at all times. This guy should never have lost site of his child and than decide to starting shooting at a noise. It saddens me that this guy was so ignorant to the safety precautions that need to be used in hunting, especially when you are with a child. It is a tragedy that a child has lost his life and the family will have to live with this loss all because of one persons ignorance. Being a father hearing this story made me sick.

This is exactly what I was thinking. The words we say will not bring Hunter back, but the first thing I think of when I hear things like this happen is how irresponsible. I mean, come on folks, hunting is under such scrutiny as it is with PETA, etc and then we aren't careful with young children around?

The key thing here is we want our children to experience these things and we want it to be the most rewarding as possible. Having said that, don't leave your kid alone to stalk an animal. They want to experience it as well. There should be no animal that is more important than the safety and experience your child will have if you keep them with you. I want my 7 year old to sit with me in my two person deer stand this Fall. I fully realize that I shouldn't expect to see anything, as I am OK with that knowing that he will not be quiet or sit still, but just sitting there, alone, with my son where he has the chance to see and experience some of the things that I truly enjoy is priceless. I cant imagine what Hunter's father is going through. I think it is a tragic accident, but things like this should NEVER happen. Be careful out there an use common sense folks. Words of my firearms safety instructor over 20 years ago, "treat every gun as if it were loaded and keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times. Be sure of your target." If this man had been sure of his target this tragedy would never have happened. I think he will beat himself up about this pretty bad. I just hope it makes some people realize what mistakes were done here and don't allow them to happen again.

I knew Tony from high school wrestling at a neighboring school and his wife Amber was my wrestling cheerleader, classmate and friend.

These are good people who are dealing with a tragic accident. My heart aches for them.

someone here already answered my question. i dont hunt anymore, save an occasional grouse hunt, but my question was dont you have to wait for a head shot and make sure that it was a male? sad, sad, sad. my youngest is the same age as this boy. what was supposed to be a treasured dad/son outing ends horribly

hug your kids extra tight tonight, dads(and moms) \:\(

Originally Posted By: CaptainMusky
 Originally Posted By: stop'emfromfloppin

This is exactly what I was thinking. The words we say will not bring Hunter back, but the first thing I think of when I hear things like this happen is how irresponsible. I mean, come on folks, hunting is under such scrutiny as it is with PETA, etc and then we aren't careful with young children around?

The key thing here is we want our children to experience these things and we want it to be the most rewarding as possible. Having said that, don't leave your kid alone to stalk an animal. They want to experience it as well. There should be no animal that is more important than the safety and experience your child will have if you keep them with you. I want my 7 year old to sit with me in my two person deer stand this Fall. I fully realize that I shouldn't expect to see anything, as I am OK with that knowing that he will not be quiet or sit still, but just sitting there, alone, with my son where he has the chance to see and experience some of the things that I truly enjoy is priceless. I cant imagine what Hunter's father is going through. I think it is a tragic accident, but things like this should NEVER happen. Be careful out there an use common sense folks. Words of my firearms safety instructor over 20 years ago, "treat every gun as if it were loaded and keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times. Be sure of your target." If this man had been sure of his target this tragedy would never have happened. I think he will beat himself up about this pretty bad. I just hope it makes some people realize what mistakes were done here and don't allow them to happen again.

I agree with both of you one hundred percent, but I don't want to beat this guy up. I'm sure he's doing that to himself enough. It's unbelievable that this kind of thing happens. I had never hunted before last year and took hunters safety, not because I needed to (I'm an old fart) but because I wanted to educate myself before carying a firearm. Not only should you treat all like they are loaded, never point at anything you don't intend to shoot. But you should ALWAYS identify your target and what's beyond. I have no idea how people get shot like this, it should never happen. I hunted Carlos Avery last fall and might not go back. Just to scary the way some of the yahoo's there treat the hunt. I love to have a good time and get some game, but safety should never be forgotten. When you take a child with you, hunting/fishing is second to your child. If you don't get anything you still are rewarded with an outing with your child. That to me is more than fresh meet on the table.