• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog Food ?

PPieKilla

I had to switch off of Canidae - my dogs stool was very loose - nasty stuff. Changed to NurtiSource and she is back to normal. I was not please with the change.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LABS4ME

• kentuck_ike

• Fish&Fowl

• eagle_3464

I had to switch off of Canidae - my dogs stool was very loose - nasty stuff. Changed to NurtiSource and she is back to normal. I was not please with the change.

This is what I have heard from others. Just curious...how long did you give before you made a switch to the new food? Some say it resolved after a few days....others said it did not.

Well the under $35.00 was taking into account the free bag every 12th bag. In May (post date) I was paying $36.00 / bag. An increase to $42.00 bag since plus the reduction of 5 lbs a bag (now 35lb bags), has me thinking of a change. I have read good things on Diamond Natural... it has no corn or soy or wheat, so that may be an option. I may stick with Canidae, just gets harder to absorb increases, espicailly when you get less food for an increased price....

Good Luck!

Ken

Hemi,

I actually fed about 90% of a new bag and the condition never changed. Over a week I worked in the new food and when she was at about 30% canidae and 70% new food she was fine.

So I gave canidae a long time - too long I think. It was great food for her with the old ingredients; now I think its not so good.

LABS, I've been feeding my 3 year old lab Native since I was able to find it. It my opinion this brand is the best "valued" natural dry dog food available. I purchase 40# bags for $35.00 at a local retailer in my home town. I also know RFG distributes the brand to interested outlets that want to sell the product.

What sold me on it (in addition to being natural, no fillers and value priced) was the ability to change (and interchange) Native levels during the hunting season. Off season, I feed my lab Native 1. During hunting season when my lab needs more energy, I feed him Native 2 and/or Native 3. Each level contains a different (increased) ratio of proteins and fats.

There is another Kent Feeds natural dry dog food sold in the MN grocery stores under the Haven label. This is a new introduction and almost a duplicate formulation of their Native brand.

Anyone considering changing dry dog food, should look into Native----I'm sold on it. They have a web site that talks more about the product and it's benefits.

Lastly, for what is't worth, Native is also the official national dog food sponsor of Pheasants Forever.

Woollman

Thanks for the post. I will definitley look into Native. I agree with Teal... my dogs are not doing quite as good on Canidae as they have for the past few years... I know they changed formulas... I hope it's not a quality issue to boot.

I see a change in the very near future!

What store are you getting Native for $35.00?

Good Luck!

Ken

You are quite right, most manufactures of national branded premium dry dog foods have toyed around and changed their formulations. In most cases, they have cheapen the product---main reason is to keep costs down. They have traded quality for keeping price points and profit margins steady. There are way too many "premium" brands that now contain fillers, corn, wheat, soy or by-products.

I am getting my Native from Tractor Supply. They don't handle the product in the store on shelf, but special order the product, directly from Kent Feeds. They can order 20# or 40# bags for me.

As previously mentioned RFG distributing, in Crystal, is an authorized distributor for Native. If a retail outlet utilizes RFG for supply purposes, they would be able to access Native items.

Ken,

I am selling Native dog food and I can find answers to just about all your questions if you have any. I don't know how many dogs you have but Native has a very good breeder program. My e-mail is kentucky_ike at yahoo dot com if you want more info just let me know.

Take Care, Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Ken,

Have you made a change from Canadae? If you did, what did you go with and how are the dogs doing on it? Pup is coming home tomorrow and looking for advice on a good food to feed.

When I had my field trial string I feed Purina Pro Plan..I liked the checks they gave for their weight circles and how the dogs ran & conditioned.

I feed Diamond now & "back in the day" I knew a fair # of other handlers also fed Diamond.

I was not a big fan of the ultra premiums, Euk, Iames,& foods with a lot of animal fat in them. I had some go almost rancid during a hot summer trip on the prairies and the dogs sure came in a lot for the water jug with a food that was that "hot". They just seemed to harden up better on food that wasn't so heavy and dense.

BTW..I didn't worry about having enough gas in the tank for hous stakes..genetics really are what does that.

I have not found Native locally yet... I will have to talk to Tractor Supply in Prescott... I was there and I am now on my second bag of Diamond Naturals... so far so good. The switch over went smoothly and they are doing well. It's much better priced than Canidae, $26 / 40lb bag... as opposed to $42 / 35lb bag... I am still interested in Native though.

Good Luck!

Ken

Ken,

I believe Chuck & Dons handle Native, and there is one in Cottage Grove. here is the address 8711 EAST POINT DOUGLAS RD

It is worth a look.

Ben

I switch my 6mo springer off canidae last month to nutrisource. My pup wasn't eating canidae, he would probably eat 1 cup a day, and he start to look too skinny. I got him nutrisouce and he is now eating his recommend amounts. He has alot more energy and looks really healthy. So far I am impressed with nutrisource, not sure what others think of it.

I got him nutrisouce and he is now eating his recommend amounts. He has alot more energy and looks really healthy. So far I am impressed with nutrisource, not sure what others think of it.

I switched my lab pup from Diamond to Nutrisource and saw a big difference. With Diamond he was itching, had a rough coat, and soft stools. After going to NutriSource there was a lot less itching, the coat is getting silky, and he's dropping bricks.

Each dog is different though.

I'm now feeding Diamond Naturals to my lab after he abruptly quit eating the food he was previously on. It actually took him close to 2 weeks before he started eating like he had before (cleaning the dish all at once).

I was originally going to go with Native, but opted to try Diamond first just to see if he would eat it. I am getting it now in Crookston for $26 a bag. My first bag was from Thief River Falls and cost me about $33.

Where are you buying the Diamond Naturals for $26/40# bag? NutriSource locally is running $38/35# bag.

Tractor Supply has Diamond Naturals for $26 / 40lb bsg also.

Chuck and Don's was $38 for a bag of Native. I see Canidae came out with a 44lb bag of food for $45 bucks...

Good Luck!

Kem

I went to the Native website & they have a list of local retailers after you put in your zipcode. I think I may be giving this a try.

Are the prices you have listed for the Diamond Naturals only for the adult version or have you found the puppy food the same price? I have found the puppy price to be higher than the adult.

not sure about the puppy food... that is for the chicken or lamb adult food... call tractor supply and have them tell you how much the puppy version is.

Good Luck!

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

We have used Science Diet for our dogs for quite a long time. I have always always had good luck with the food. Have had all of my dogs live long healthy happy lives with few health problems. I'm sure others have different opinions about it. I just figure I am going to go with what I know works. The only problem I have with it is the price has really gone up over the last couple years. I think at FF it is now almost $42 for 35 pounds. I use the Lamb and rice formula. I am very happy with it and have had good results for a long period of time. Plus my Vet has always recomended it.

Can you guys tell me which formula of Diamond Naturals you are feeding? Thanks.

Chicken & Rice.

has anyone every used the Native dog food that is like the offical dog food of pheasants forever...if so how is it

Are you guys using the "Extreme Athlete" forumla? Thanks

I used a bag of Extreme Athlete and am now switiching over to Chicken & Rice since we're towards the end of duck season. Dog loves both and it seems like good food.

outdoorkid, go back a couple of pages in this thread, there was a discussion about Native there.