• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody here about the 40 pound northern that was caught on a local lake. I just read the Voyageur Press and it was mentioned that it was caught in a local lake and they will have an article about it next weeks edition?

I will put money on it that somebody sent them a letter saying they caught a big pike and sent the photos from Europe with the big pike. You know which pictures I am talking about, the three you get in emails about 16 times a year, two of the same fish in europe and one with a small pike in a big pikes mouth, obviously not the same fish.

If it is a true story I would love to see the story excerpt and the photos attached to it, but I really have my doubts. When was it caught? A story like that would get out pretty quick, and obviously if it were on ice, it was out of season if very recent. I would put money on the fish from the story above.

When I read the title of the thread I was fully expecting to see the pictures that polarusd81 was referring too...

Well I know they get some big ones over in Europe but I have not seen a 40 lb. pike caught in Minnesota in all my 59 years? I am not saying it is not possible but my guess is that if someone caught something that size they would be trumpeting it up and down the streets and twice down the alley?

I would have to see more than a photo to believe it. I am not trying to be a cynic here? Just a bit skeptical. I would believe they caught a Pike that size in Europe? But Minnesota? Not in my life time!

the minnesota state record was 45, caught outta basswood waaaaay back when. I'm sure there are fish like that and bigger in some of our lakes. I donno about smaller lakes, but lakes with larger forage bases like upper red, winni, leech, lotw, etc. are very capable of fish like that

Fishuhalik: I agree that the record was caught way back in dinosaur days. But the number of fishermen and women have increased exponentially too. I suppose in a large body of water that is not commercially fished like Superior or some such it is possible that a fish in the 40 pound class exists. I suppose it is even possible that it might exist in a small body of water. I personally don't believe it though. Even in Canadian waters a 40 lb. Pike would be considered HUGE these days. Maybe years ago such fish existed but I sincerely doubt they do in Minnesota anymore.

But then again, what do I know? I would be the happiest camper in Minnesota if someone caught and released such a fish! However, I still have honest reservations such a giant is to be caught. I would love to be proved wrong, mind you! But I doubt that I am.

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

Yeah, it could be that photo that everyone gets, we'll have to wait and see. I know there are 25 - 30lbs northern in the area lakes.

It was 40lb's and it was caught on The Jig by Crappie Keith.

And no that's not Big Sandy LK so calm down....people! grin.gif

pike.jpg

Ha Ha! Nice photshop of the fisherman! grin.gif

The fish is real though. I believe it was a Canadian one though. I saw this picture some time ago.

Originally Posted By: Wanderer

The fish is real though. I believe it was a Canadian one though.

ah the power of the web

why can't it be as powerful to purge this picture out of the system?

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
It was 40lb's and it was caught on The Jig by Crappie Keith.

And no that's not Big Sandy LK so calm down....people! grin.gif

pike.jpg

Now, that there is funny. Ya never know with C.K. grin.gif

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there. That aint right, Lord I appologize. Be with the starvin' pigmies in New Ginni....

Well I just viewed the Voyaguer online and they didn't have anything about it this week. The adverizer must have threatened to pull their adds if it was published.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

That's no European fish guys as a matter of fact they have a bunch of them out East.

Here's David Ortiz out fishing with Randy Moss on an undisclosed New England area Lake.

Moss with a nice catch! grin.gif

RainyLakeNorthern54inches44pound-1.jpg

Did randy moss run into that head shrinker from beetle juice?

I heard he had it on his line, but did'nt feel like working, so he ran into it with the boat, and when it flipped up on the bow, he drove around with it 'til it fell into his lap...good thing the picture was taken quickly, before he dropped it... whistle.gif

the Star-Tribune did a article about 5 years ago on the State Record Pike outta Basswood,, way back. With DNR experts and picture anaysis, they came to the conclusion that it was no where near 45lbs. Maybe upper 30's.

I believe any PIke over 50" nowdays has to be near a record for MN. Not many of those boys around--- thou my buddy did catch a 50.25" on opener in 1998 outta Alpine Lake in the B-dub.

I don't know what the deal is, they talked about this fish and haven't heard anything else from the Voyaguer?? Must have been a "Fishing Story"