• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HSO Team # 1........Boss Tom's!

bmc

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bmc

• Sorgy

• Deitz Dittrich

• delzz7

Top Posters In This Topic

Good talking with you Delz, and congrats again on your massive bird. What a pig! Sounds like an incredible hunt, and good job on turning to get that bird. Not an easy task to kill a bird coming in from behind, no matter what the circumstances.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures, and thanks for the call.

Joel

Hey guys, I finally got my pictures in the submission forum.

Hey deitz do you known why Gander in Forest Lake weights birds & the Gander in Lakeville doesn't?

no clue.. Maybe Forest Lake has a scale and Lakeville doenst?

Maybe they are nicer in FL.. LOL?

Delzz,

Congrats on the big beautiful bird. What a beast. I think we have a long ways to go. One of the teams has 4 birds registered already. I wonder who is up next. I think we have some late season archery guys on the team.

I only hope to get a chance on big bird someday.

My co-worker scored on a Jake today. Same area I got my bird. Very little gobbling again this morning. The area gets to rest until my daughter gets a shot. I will be making a run up w/ a saw and clear a obstical into the field. I would love to see her try and lift a bird that big grin.gif

Congrats Again

Steve

Sorgy, I wish you & your daughter the best of luck. I have a two kids, they have a quite a few years to go before they can hunt, I can't wait to take them.

Deitz should be guarantee hunting with Joel \:\)

Good Luck to the rest of the team!

Delzz- Its not a guaantee... Joel is one of my best friends, and I am goin gon this trip as a back up dude... He is going to try and stick one with an arrow.. if the bird hangs up too far away, I'm going to fill it full of lead.. LOL

CNY Lee reporting for duty.

Sorry I haven't been on but with work, panfishing, getting boat ready for Walleye season, getting the oldest ready for youth season (first year), sighting in guns/bows and the normal house duties it has been crazy. Youth season is April 26-27 and regular season is May 1-31. Good luck to everyone and congrats to the people who have scored all ready. Gobble Gobble Just so you know I'm a huge turkey hunter, all my other screen names for everything else is Gobblehunter including my email. LOL

Delzz:

Good work, and congrats again on that pig of a bird. Good luck for your MN hunt!

Yeah, we'll have to see how it goes. Turkey hunting is never a guarantee, and I screw up plenty of times just like anyone else!

Joel

Thanks Joel, I know there's no guarantee's, I was just trying to put a little pressure on you. You Good Luck with your Bow, someday I'm going to give that a try.

Well we got to move the Boss Tom's to page #1

My daughter did not score on here season. She hunted Sat, Sunday and Tuesday mornings. and the afternoons of Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. Saturday morning sucked cry.gif Sunday was a beautiful morning. We had 3 or 4 gobblers in the area but roosted aways off. 5 minuts after flydown I saw a gobbler moving thru the trees 100 yards away- with ZERO intrest in hen talk. 20 minutes later I heard 2 gobblers aproaching our setup behind the screen of trees. They chose to stay in the trees rather than come up top to take a peek. Both birds were within 20 yards of where I got my bird- just below the edge of the field out of site. We had a hen come in and walk right past the blind. She looked very agravated by our hens decoys taking her boy friend B-Mobile.

That was it for our action. Public land with roaming turkeys. I feel the biggest problem for us and the area is a consistent food source. Also I am not a bad caller and did not have any response to my calling at all. Not even a bird to respond to get our hopes up confused.gif

Now comes planning for next spring with 0 preference points. i am all set for bow hunting next season.

I wish continude success for all this spring.

Steve

I think we have a couple of guys up to bat in the next week. Go get them.

Hey Sorgy, sounds like you were in the right area at least. I was just wandering if you think that the reason the toms didn't come in was because of B mobile? Going out tommorrow with my buddy and i'm debating to bring B mobile. I was thinking it might be a little late in the season to use it. What do you think?

Absolutely not!! They just needed to peek over the ridge. They really did not respond to the calling at all and they were just going on there way. They may have had a hen that they were following. I think just the oppisite. Had they seen B-mobile they would have at least tried to get a better look. I was set up where I could see them before they saw the decoys- height advantage hidden back in the blind. I was looking with the binos at the small are where they would have slipped up to the edge to take a peek.

The partial days hurt her chances as well.

Good Luck on your hunt.

Later

Steve

I started packing gear yesterday and will finish it up today. I don't know how I'm going to get through work tonight, knowing I'm southeast bound tomorrow afternoon! Is anyone else hunting this week? Didn't get a lot of sleep last night, kept thinking how many decoys to use, where to set up the blind, etc etc. Typical night's sleep for me when a hunt is in the near future. Good luck if anyone else will be out this week!

Brian

I still have a bit of waiting yet... I hunt WI the 14-18, then MN the next weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I'm going to hunt season E down in 442. Should be interesting haven't had any time to scout this spring, but they were there last fall.

Sorgy I went with my buddy last Saturday, I tryed the B mobile. I had a Tom come in just out of range for my buddy. He justed walked back and forth half struting, I could tell he was intimadated by the decoy. The Tom finally made his way down this ridge about 70 yards, my buddy then army crawled out an retrieved the decoy. When my buddy returned, I could see the Tom coming up the other ridge. I gave him some pretty agressive of calling, when he heard that he whipped his head around an looked. He could see the competition was gone, the tom started heading back, this time stopping periodically to put on a show in full strut.

My buddy shot a 20.6 pd bird, 8.5 in beard, 1 inch spears

I know the decoy works and will definitely try it again, just passing on my experience with it last saturday.

Good Luck deitz & bmc in your hunts.

Great Job grin.gif Congrats on being part of the successful hunt. Every hunt is different. I don't think the birds ever saw the decoy on my daughters hunt. Did you have any hen decoys out with the B-mobile? Did you pull them at the same time?

That is what I like about turkey hunting- all of the possibilites- move stay- decoys out- no decoys- call loud/aggressive or be quiet- grin.gif That is also what drives a guy nuts over turkeys what worked yesterday is not working today grin.gif

Good Luck on your hunt

Steve

Well boys, the Jeep is packed and I'm hitting the road here shortly!! Anticipation of the upcoming hunt is HIGH!!! I'll have computer access, so I'll try to keep you up to date as what's going on w/ the birds. Sounds like they're henned up pretty good now? I know where I'll be setting the DB blind up, but how many decoys and which one's will be the trick. I've got 2 hens and a jake, so I'm not sure what I'll try come tomorrow morning. Maybe the jake on top of a hen w/ the other hen spectating or just use a hen decoy or two. Decisions, decisions!!!

Brian

I had two hen decoys out with B mobile. I left the hens out and just pulled B mobile.

I was out today until 11AM, only had one hen come in. I saw a jake and a hen about 1/4 of a mile down the road, when I left. Pretty quiet morning (no wind). I think I may have called to loud, it was pretty quiet out there today. The hen that went through my decoys was yelping really soft.

Well, it was good to be in the spring turkey woods this morning. My daughter and I got set up w/ plenty of time to spare and as it got light, 2 different gobblers sounded off and continued to do so for about a half hour, then silence. We had a hen come into about 15 yards at 6:10am and then saw another hen about 9 am. Talked to a farmer just down the road who said the only strutting birds he's seen this spring were about a month ago. Hopefully tomorrow will be our morning. The look on my 9 year old daughter's face was priceless when the gobblers started sounding off this morning! She said she had fun, but didn't like the 4 am wake up call!

Brian

The gobblers were going crazy at sun up and continued off and on till about 7:30am. There was a 5-10 minute span where they gobbled so much, I wondered how they caught their breath! We saw a hen at 6:15 and she was heading towards the gobblers. At 10:30 we saw a strutter across the county road following a hen. We also saw a strutter and hen just outside of Baldwin when we were on I-94 heading in for a nap. Planning on an all-day sit tomorrow. My daughter is still having fun, so I'm happy.

Also got to meet DonBo and his friend Gary ?, in Baldwin. Both of them were very nice and gave this newbie a few tidbits of advice, hopefully I can put them to use!

Brian

Yesterday morning was slow. Gobbling again, but they must be headed north, as I haven't seen a bearded bird yet. Confirmed my suspicions after this morning's hunt. Drove by spot 1 and north of there is a huge strutting tom w/ his gals. Unfortunately, I can't hunt that spot. Yesteday afternoon/evening I gave spot 1 it's last chance and saw 5 hens but no tom activity or gobbling.

I tried spot 2 this morning after seeing a couple birds there after yesterday morning's hunt. Got the blind set up and 3 or 4 different gobblers started sounding off to the south of me, but quite a ways away. About 0730 2 jakes and 3 hens come into a tilled up field w/ a bunch of corn stalks and start feeding. Both jakes follow a hen which came within 30 yds of my 2 hens and jake decoy. The jakes hung up about 60 yds out. The hen gave a couple clucks and I clucked back and they feed out of range and kept on feeding for about an hour and a half. I moved the blind closer to where they spend most of the time feeding and gonna hit it this afternoon/evening and give it a go tomorrow morning if necessary. Any thoughts on why the hen came over then left? I'm thinking maybe my jake scared them? I think I'm going jake-less from here on out!

Brian

Nice to meet you the other day.

Glad to see you're still at it. If you've got a hen near you, or can hear one, try to call her in. Duplicate her calls only go just a bit longer and a bit louder and you may keep her around long enough to pull in a big old longbeard.

Good luck!

Ok guys, I'm done playing guide and now it's my turn to put a couple down.

Saturday evening Amanda and I hunted the spot where the 3 hens and 2 jakes were that morning. Lo and behold, the hens show up but without the jakes and they come out to the field where I was in the AM. Typical! LOL We hit this spot again on Sunday morning and it was COLD!!! Amanda got too cold and we packed it in about 9:30 am. We watched 2 hens chase a cat off the field and a few minutes later, the cat chased the hens down to us. It was quite a sight and we got a good laugh! laugh Of course we start to head home and get to the MN/WI border and the sun comes out. I was contemplating heading back to sit a few more hours, but was pretty much burnt out. Gave it heck for the 5 days and had alot of fun. Amanda had a blast, other than Sunday morning's sit. I'm gonna have to knock on a couple more doors in that area before next spring as I saw strutters in the area and heard gobblers, but just didn't see any on the 2 places I hunted. Already dreaming of next spring, boy it's a long ways away!

Great to meet you and your buddy Donbo! Glad to see you guys put the hurt on them gobblers!

Brian

The standings as of 05-11-08 have us in 4th place. It looks like we still have 3 guys hunting? C'mon guys may the turkey gods smile upon you!!!

Brian

Our season end here in NY on May 31 so there is lots of time and I know I'll put one on the board for us. There are birds everywhere and they are really active right now. Put an ok tom on the limb tonight and will be bowhunting him tomorrow morning.

YA i still got the archery hunt coming up so we will see.

Dietz, CNY Lee, and river huntfish we are counting on you boys to pull us through!!! "You can do it" as the guy on Waterboy would say!!! Good Luck!

Brian