• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HSO Team # 1........Boss Tom's!

bmc

Here we are guys' with season only a couple weeks away for those of you lucky enough to draw an early season tag. I'll be in zone 19 from May 7-11 in WI, hoping to arrow the one that got away last spring. I'm going down the weekend of April 19-20 to do some glassing on the couple places I'm going to be hunting to see what's around. Also gonna take in the Twins/Indians game on the 20th. From now till my hunt I'll be shooting my bow a few times a week and getting stuff ready for the big hunt. We need some ideas for a team name. I will throw out "Spurs Up", let's see what everyone else has. Good Luck everyone!

Brian

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bmc

• Sorgy

• Deitz Dittrich

• delzz7

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy's,

Good Luck! I will be starting with 1st season Zone 227. I saw a flock of 15 gobblers a while back within 1/2 mile of the property I am lucky enough to hunt. I have a few seasons under my belt but still much to learn. I toyed with the idea of using my bow but I am now going to use heavy 13 #5's.

I have some fields, food plots and plenty of wooded property to hunt. I purchased a Escape DX Blind last fall, my decoys and I am ready to go. Now if only we can get the snow to melt. I have some scouting trips coming up and will definitly try to put one to bed on Tuesday the 15th.

My early plan is to move in with my gear close to a know roost area and only set out my decoy. if that fails after a few hours I will then set up my blind and wait for them to show. I hunt a fairly small piece of property and don't want to booger them all the first morning. If the weather is rainy I will be in the blind high and dry waiting for them to come to the fields.

Are the flocks breaking up much yet?

Where is everyone else hunting? Anyone else in 227?

Spurs Up sounds good, I will try and come up with a few.

Later

Steve Sorgenfrei

Where's the rest of our team, still chasing panfish or scouting out those toms? C'mon guys, chime in!!!

Brian

Sorry still chasing panfish. I will be hunting with my bow in the st. cloud area. I have a decent piece of property to hunt so I think i should have a good chance but it is turkey hunting and with a bow i think it is going to be pretty tough.

Well that's 3 of us and I know Deitz is alive and kickin' as we've been jaw jacking on the contest teams thread. So CNY Lee and delzz7 are still MIA. C'mon guys we need a team name and to start talkin' smack about these other teams that are gonna try and "run with the big dogs"!!! \:D

Brian

How abut Big Boss Tom's or Boss Tom,s?

The day's are ticking away. 13 mornings from now I will be out there- Hopefully on birds grin.gif

I was in the yard yesterday getting my gear in order. Might even have to cut out early today ;\)

Anyone hunting 227?

Steve

13 mornings, you lucky so and so!!! I like Boss Tom's!

C'mon team 1 members that are MIA, sound off!!

Brian

Sorry it took me this long to reply! I will be hunting in Iowa April 14-17 (Zone 8) and Mn 442 May 6-10. It will be my first time hunting in Iowa on public land, though I have found birds on all 3 of the spots. I just don't know how much competition I will have. Beard Baggers, Run & Gunners, Long beards,

Good Luck everyone!1

OK -Here we Go. Let's put it up to a vote. We Need a name confused.gif

Time to vote

1) Spurs Up

2) Boss Tom's

3) Beard Baggers

I thought of Boss Tom's because I thought we had a member or two on the winning team last year. - That is 1 vote for Boss Tom's ;\)

I need to get serious-hopefully team 1 will have a big tom down by this time next week \:\/ I was out last Friday and still had a fair amount of snow in the woods. The birds are in the area - please disperse a little next Tuesday.

My kids are tired of listening to me practice my calling in the car when they need rides \:D

I saw a nice bird by the Armory in Arden Hills this afternoon.

The days are going by fast now.

Good Luck

Steve

There, I picked your name for you.

You can thank me later.

Nice try there Jackpine - Pretty good MOJO- ;\) Just don't use her up before you get in the woods \:\/

Good Luck to all of the teams even # 4

Sorgy, anything I can do to help you guys out!

Good luck to all on Team 1.

Boss Tom's works for me. I saw 3 Toms out wandering around yesterday in a field. Good Luck everyone!

Sounds like Boss Tom's it is. Although Jake Jumpers is darn funny! I have no qualms about whacking a jake, as I don't have never killed a turkey. Funny thing is though, I never saw a jake last year where I was hunting. So hopefully it will be an adult bird that get skewered by me in early May.

Brian

Brian,

Good Luck- It sounds like you are using archery equipment? Where are you hunting?

I was down in Mendota Heights today and called up 5 toms and 2 jakes with Diaphram calls from inside my truck. \:D

The birds cross the road- dodge cars and chase mailmen and women in their spair time ;\) These were very conditioned birds to people and the 2 jakes would have climed in the back of my truck if possible. Now I have renewed confidence \:\/ with my choking - calling \:\) The last turkey I shot was a jake- I could not pass up the temptation grin.gif I am planning on letting jakes walk- we will see confused.gif

Good Luck to everyone

Later

Steve

Tick Tick Tick - less than 7 days to go- Whoo Hoo cool.gif

Alright boyz... The BOSS TOMS is it... although, Jake Jumpers made me giggle...

I am hunting In both MN and WI, in WI first up in the Grantsburg area, the 17-18 weekend.. and then the next weekend in MN down in the Cannon Falls area...

I'm really pumped... want to put one on the ground this year, In hopes that this will be my only bird shot with a shotgun.. Being the archery nut that I am, I hope to learn the ropes with the shotgun and then put it down... go bow from here on out.. but things can change... I shot my first deer with a gun... its the only deer with a gun I have shot, all the rest bow.

Sorgy,

I've got zone 19 in WI, May 7-11. Yep, using the bow again. Shoulda, coulda, woulda been done the second morning last year, but tried to make a 30 yard shot through the mesh window on my Double Bull blind and my arrow went low, knocking 3 feathers off that dirty so and so! Same thing happened on the 4th day, only I missed him 2x in 5 minutes. Needless to say, I've done some research and am properly prepared for the upcoming hunt (leave the screen window down and birds aren't afraid of blinds.....supposedly)!!! LOL

Looks like a couple of our team will be out in the near future. Best of luck to you guys and hit 'em where it counts!!!

Jake Jumpers, that STILL cracks me up!!!

Brian

Brian,

I have a Escape DX blind that i purchased last winter. I am still planning on using the shotgun. I Have been practicing setting it up and I am currently trying to tweak the blind for turkey hunting- first thing I did was take off all the screens.

It has zippered windows and there are elastic hooks to hold the screens up. I think that the big main window lets in too much light so I am going to be making some changes. It is a far cry from the DB. If I get that rain day I will definitly be using the blind. My daughter is hunting the "C" season so it will get some use this spring.

I have meetings 4 days in Mendota Heights this week and next. The flock of birds down by the cemetery is very comfortable around people and trucks. 5 gobblers 3 hens ( 1 bearded) 20 yards from the truck. I will be down there today and monday again.

Good Luck

Steve

I'm pumped to get down to my area this weekend and do some scouting!!! I'm hoping to get even with the lucky SOB from last year, for sure!!! \:D

Brian

Tomorrow is the day \:D I will try to tuck one in tonight. I don't know what to expect with strong winds all day and night. The wind is supposed to be blowing 20 MPH tomorrow. Might have to set up camp on a clearing and stay put.

The turkeys in Mendota Heights are still fairly bunched up. 1 tom with 7 hens, 6 longbeards all traveling together and another mixed flock just hanging out that contained 8 or 10 birds.

How many decoys to put out is the next question???? crazy.gif

Good Luck to all.

Just got a text messg... TEAM ONE IS ON THE BOARD!!! Congrats sorgy.. Its a great looking bird! I will let him post picts and share the details!

BOSS TOMS are on the board. I owe some thanks to Joel Nelson-The Living Legend grin.gif He gave me good lesson on calling paitence. ;\) I saw Joel's post yesterday looking to tag along. I recieved a call back while heading out last night to tuck one in. I did not have much luck but narrowed down where I would setup in the AM. I met Joel promply at 3:45 AM tired.gif I had a great time.

We were setup by 5:00 AM confused.gif around 6:05 AM Joel owl hooted and a bunch of birds answered back -- Very Close. That is where a rookie like myself would have over called ;\) I called on a slate quiet yelps, clucks and purrs. No response confused.gif We gave them time and we saw at least 3 strutters thru the trees with our binocs. They never got fired up over our mixed calling- we waited as they moved off behind some thick brush. Joel called hard one time around 7:15 cutting and yelping. No real resoponse. We waited then heard one gobble we waited some more and the group gobbled closer. They were getting themselfs worked up and coming back to check on us. Finnally Mother Nature kicked in. Joel had to get rid of some excess Mountain Dew and I had to get rid of my excess coffee--- blush.gif (puddles in the corners of the blind) blush.gifSure as #hit they closed the distance and were almost on top of us when they sounded off in unison 50 yards away. finnally the first bird clears the little rise noticed B-Mobile and worked a little closer I saw 2 others in tow and took a nice clean shot at 30 yards grin.gif

Very nice 2 year old bird with double beard \:D

Joel -- Great meeting you and Thank You for showing me how to play that flock of gobblers cool.gif

Good Luck to everyone

Steve

Now I need to figure out how to post pics.

e-mail them to me sorgy, my addy is at the bottom of my sig, just put in .com

Joel sent me the one from his phone.. looks like a great bird!

Joel is class... guy flat out knows birds.

Fantastic! and Congrats!!!!!

Over calling cost my friend a nice Tom this morning...DOH!

WAY TO GO Sorgy!!! Nothing like breaking the ice on the first morning!!! Looking forward to seeing the pics and the measurements!

The BOSS TOMS are rockin'!!!

Brian

Thanks for the kind words, but let's put credit where it's due. Steve had done his scouting, had a good idea where birds would be roosted from previous year's experience in this location, and we simply played them accordingly.

The four gobblers were awfully tentative for roosting all alone (not a single hen yelp), on a decent morning. Simply did not gobble as agressively as I thought they would to just about any type of calling. In the end, an excruciating 45 minutes of silence and some leaf scratching immediately following the cutting/yelping won the day. They couldn't take it anymore, fired themselves up and walked in.

Steve did a good job patterning his gun; the Hevi13's put that gobbler down stone cold at 30 yards.

The double beard was icing on the cake!!!

Stats:

Tom - 18.720 lbs

Spurs - 7/8" and 13/16"

Beard - 9" and 2 7/8" = 11 7/8"

Great bird to start it off. Thanks for letting me tag along Steve, I had a great time, and congrats on a job well done from start to finish.

Joel

Deitz,

I forwarded my pics to you. Thanks for the help.

Joel,

Thanks for the help on those birds. It would have gotten intersting if I had waited or been using my bow- Probbably late season next year cry.gif

I notice lots of very nice birds on the other postings. Congrats to all of you.

Steve

Good job sorgy! that had to be quite the experience to hunt with Joel.

I had quite the experience myself in Iowa on public land this week. Sunday evening I had put turkeys to bed, all has good until I arrive monday to find out someone beat me to the spot. So I was off tho the next spot to find two cars there. On my way to the 3 spot, I saw turkey flying off the roost into a pasture, but had no permission to hunt there. Arrive at the 3rd spot 2 cars, leave to go to my last spot. Arrived at 6:45am no cars, turkeys out in the pasture next the land I was hunting. \:\)

Finally in place, I started to do some calling with no response. One hour later I hear some noise, Caw Caw. Yep a hunter coming my way. At about 70 yards he saw me a headed in a different direction. At this point, I was pretty depressed. I decided to start getting more agressive with my calling and after about a 75 min 3 Toms showed up, on the other side of the fence. They struted back & forth for about 25 mins, one tryed to jump threw the fence, but finally gave up. A little later a hen showed at the same spot also. I did have a jake walk in the decoys, but didn't seem interested in the hen decoys. I walked to a different part of the land and jumped another jake. At 2 pm I had enough.

I went back down this morning with great success. I had arrive a little late. As I has getting out of the truck I heard numerous gobbles (unlike monday there was none). I grabed my stuff and headed towards my spot. when I was sitting, I could see a tom in the roost, gobbling every so often. There was gobbling coming from a few didn't spots and some hens already on the ground. I gave him a flydown cackle and some yelps, but he didn't respond. After he flew down, A gave a series of yelps, a gobble came from over a my right shoulder in the distance. I let out a few more yelps and then gobbling kept getting closer and closer. He knew he was coming, so I went into silient mode..

I was fortunite have 3' wide oak tree to my back because I had to turn 180 degrees for the shot at 35 yds. By 6:30 the hunt was over.

I have hunted Iowa for pheasants for 3-4 years on public land and hardly run into to many hunters, if any, on the land, though I do more late season pheasant hunting. I was definitely surprised as how many people hunt turkey in the northern central area, the turkeys do get a lot of pressure.

I need to talk to some clarify the right way to measure the beard and spurs

Approx.

Beard 10 to 10.5

Spurs 15/16 & 1 "1/8

Weight 27pd 10 oz.

I tryed email Joel Nelson