• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's nice to help people out with fishing tips etc. However, some poeple here are creating situations that are over crowding lakes and potentially hurting some lakes as they are getting so much pressure. We don't need to tell people where to go and fish, figure it out on your own, that's what fishing is all about and what makes it fun. Why give away all of the hot spots, eventually there will not be hot spots anywhere.

There are many people who live on Big Sandy and surrounding lakes who are very pi*9ed off from some individuals who keep spreading the rumors!! Some need to learn to shut their trap!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeamFLTFarm

• palisade1kid

• Coach1310

• ole

Thank you for sharing your opinion. Carrying an ownership attitude will only create feelings of ill will. It's public water, it's a great big lake, and angling mortality on fish is but a small part of the overall fishery mortality.

Small lakes can be hit hard, true, but BSL has many, many spots that never get touched. Cannot believe sharing good info hurts that lake - it's that the regular spots the regular's have need to be rediscovered. How did you find out about the hot spots? Word of mouth or on your own, out there searching? If you found them, find some more - you must be good at it.

Heartman, it's not about feeling ownership or control of the lake. What frustrates us is people that think they need to brag to make themselves look good in hopes of making a buisness out of it. We locals know whats going on and we don't like it!! Are we going to be able to stop it, probably not, but we like to spread the message.

We welcome new people to the area and enjoy thier presence! But some of us need to shut our traps a little bit!

TeamFLT Farm- I agree, I find a great spot to fish and before you know it, everyone and their mom is there. Also, there are a ton of people ice fishing this year, I have heard people complaining as well. I don't know if there is a way to control this problem, just have to be careful who you talk to!

So what makes Big Sandy Lake any more special than the other 10,000(or so) Minnesota lakes? No ownership issues? Re-read your reply - take a step back - take another look - whatever.

If you need new spots , it might mean you have to go on the search all over again, kind of like what you're telling all the newbies to do? There must be many, many spots on BSL - it's huge - like 6500 acres huge. Simply must be more places on that lake to catch fish.

I could not agree with juddH or FLTFarm more completely. It's not just BSL either. There are lakes that have been mentioned photographed, and videotaped that are less than 60 acres so no sense in playing the "lots of water" card. Nobody is claiming ownership of any lake but when business owners in the area who make a LIVING on TOURISM start complaining about the issue, I think it's a problem. I really don't care to put up with the crowds of BSL so you are correct, I have another 10,000 to choose from. Keep BSL all to yourself but don't come back whining when it's fished out or try and blame outdoor newspapers for it.

Originally Posted By: juddH
TeamFLT Farm- I agree, I find a great spot to fish and before you know it, everyone and their mom is there.

Just wondering, if you found the spot, how did others find out about it if you didn't tell them?

Big Sandy is a big lake, its going to take a lot more pressure than some extra guys who learn about a place on a single internet website to make any appreciable difference in fishing. Without knowing exact location, what he is using, how deep, what time, presentation technics etc. its nothing more than a cr&p shoot that the next guy will have similar success. Even then there is no guarantee. You have to take into account, there are simply more people on the lake these days than there were in the past. More property owners, more friends of property owners, more businesses, more townhouses, and higher density resorts on the lakes etc. It all adds up to more pressure, and its not all coming from one guy telling about his adventures.

We have had our family place on Minnewawa for 49 years, it doesn't make the lake or the fishing spot any more mine than someone who has been there for 48, or someone who fished it yesterday for the first time.

I have to doubt that the business owners in the area are complaining. After all a number of these people will be stopping in and spending money in their shops. So tell me how someone making money is going to complain about it? As far as the number of people fishing the area, you need to remember we exist in a world of technology that makes just about any information a click away. Bottom line is this, if Lars catcthes fish and then tells Sven while having a cold one at the bar and then later that night Joe picks up on the conversation and goes home to E-Mail a couple of buddies about it who also go on and E-Mail a couple more and so and so on then BAMM The word is out and BSL is full of BIG crappies and they're really on the bite.... Any way you get the picture, It doesn't matter if it's BSL or Bowstring, once the word is out too bad cause they will come and fish it! Ole

JuddH and Krusty are exactly right!

Do you realize how many people look at this site??? Do you realize when I talk to people fishing on BSL for the first time they found out about the fishing from this site. Don't tell me this hasn't added the the 100% increase in pressure this winter. My exact point, people on this site do share presentation, size, color, depth, area......this is what we are upset with! The majority of these people fishing big sandy and area lakes are not property owners in the area, they drive up for the day and fish and drive home with a ton of fish without spending a dollar it the community. I may sound like I am exaggerating, but talk to the local resorts. Yes they have as much right as you or I do to fish these lakes, but don't complain when fishing quality goes to the pits!!

Just a note, you need to remember that guides and the like have every right to promote the lakes they fish. Now, please don't get me wrong, most will not expose smaller lakes they fish but a lake the size of BSL should be able to handle the pressure. If the majority of the fishers practice common sense and let some of the real slabs go then the fishery should be fine.

Originally Posted By: TeamFLTFarm
Do you realize how many people look at this site???

Do you realize when I talk to people fishing on BSL for the first time they found out about the fishing from this site.

Actually I find the McGregor-Aitkin-Crosby-Deerwood thread to be slower than many. We must talk to different people though, as unfortunately I have never had the pleasure of meeting a fellow FM'er by chance on either Minnewawa or BSL in all the years I've been up there.

Quote:
Don't tell me this hasn't added the the 100% increase in pressure this winter.
Where did you get the 100% figure, is this a personal estimate?

Quote:
The majority of these people fishing big sandy and area lakes are not property owners in the area, they drive up for the day and fish and drive home with a ton of fish without spending a dollar it the community.

In fact I find just the opposite to be true. I recognize many of the same boats all summer long and also see them docked. I also find it difficult to believe that at over 3.00 bucks a gallon that the "majority" of these people drive up for the day and drive home with a "TON" of fish. Unless they are taking huge numbers over the limit it just doesn't add up.

Quote:
I may sound like I am exaggerating, but talk to the local resorts.
You must have missed the fact that I have been in this area nearly all my life, I do talk to many locals, including business owners and locals that live on the lakes.

Quote:
Yes they have as much right as you or I do to fish these lakes, but don't complain when fishing quality goes to the pits!!

I won't....I don't forsee it happening to the degree you do just because of a few guys stories on this site.

Business owners are complaining. I have heard it first hand. It's not complaining about money, they're smart enough to realize that if the resource is depleted, business will go down to nothing after that. Mark the date on the calendar, 4/1/2008. Get back to me in 4 or 5 years and tell me how many slab crappies you are catching on Big Sandy. I'll be waiting. I have been here my entire life, talked to resort owners, and others. People are ticked. If you refuse to believe it, fine. Like I said, give it a few years and prove me wrong.

hey TeamFLTfarm....thanks for coming on the web site but if you have nothing good to say keep your keyboard quiet!!! We all know who you are reffering to........but I think this is a jealousy thing more than anything.....the guy goes out and catches fish and shares his exp. with us......he has learned what naming a small lake can do so he tries not to......I have a hard time believing businessis are mad as they have to be seeing increase in sales with the influx of people fishing the area.....(unless they just like taking the locals money)......I hope you aren't looking for help on a lake later down the line cause that would be like the pot calling the kettle black now wouldn't it??

Interesting thread my take is the Walleye, Northern, Perch, and Tullie populations will not be over harvested, the lake is to big and to tough to fish to actually over harvest these specie's.

As far as the Crappies go I have a different view especially in the Winter the Crappie cribs where Fish house's mainly locals are stacked in like condos in Downtown MPLS the pressure and over harvest from this particular area has and is hurting the Crappie's on BSL just from this year to last there has been a HUGE drop off in quality size and numbers of the Crappies.

I think the INTERNET has added to this problem only slightly at this time but pressure has increased no doubt.

I always hear the size of lake matters well thats part of it but when particular area's get pounded by meat hunters both local and 612'ers it really impacts a fishery no matter what size the body of water is.

Not sure if this is supposed to be a shot at Keith or not but he has great respect for the lake and understands the importance of CPR and what over harvesting can do to a lake and is constantly preaching this.

I haven't fished BSL and maybe never will but don't blame one person blame the people that can't throw a fish back in the lake!!

Amen Ozzie, you hit it on the head right there! All you need to do is keep a few for dinner and let the rest go.

TeamFLTfarm and Krusty,

Welcome to FM. You guys sure know how to pick your first subject to post about grin.gif.

I think there is a lot of worry in that area about "the great unknown". A lot of hog wash in my book. I would not let a bunch of business owners who practice poor business practices scare you or get you down. Its not one man or anglers which cause a business to fail. If they are hurting for business, encourage them to talk to one of sales rep’s here at FM. It is the best advertising bang for you buck.

I think (and sounds like a broken record), but a call to the Area Lake Fishiers Supervisor is a great step in finding out accurate and current info about your lake you are worried about. If anything, you could be letting them know about something they did not know about.

Good luck..

TeamFLTFarm.... 4 posts, surely been trolling for a while to develop your beliefs that the people(I am pretty sure you are directing this at one in particular) on here are causing BSL to be destroyed(as you say)! Some use this site to share experiences, do research, tell stories etc. others... as you have done, use it to complain on what you think is happening to this lake or that lake... I think you put yourself behind the 8 ball a little by naming the thread "BSL". If you were so concerned about lakes in general you would have named the thread as such.

As far as what others have said about pressure on this spot or that, permanents stacked side by side etc. Most of the permanents on most lakes are local folks. As long as they are doing what they do within the law I have no problem. If they double dip or possess more than their limit that should be dealt with. I have never fished BSL so I'm not sure how the pressure has increased etc.

I will say it, like I have said it one thousand times. Don't shoot the messenger! Because someone shares this tip or that or try 22-30 FOW instead of 12-16 FOW etc. doesn't mean everyone reading it will interpret it, use it and find and catch more fish. NO WEBSITE, FORUM, THREAD etc. has ever caught a fish. The folks holding the pole with the line in their hand do.

It seems to be a recurring theme lately about not sharing this info or that. I guess because sharing tips about equipment, fishing techniques, bait etc. creates better anglers.... that leads to more fish caught...which means everybodys lakes will recieve more pressure because folks will become better fisherpeople, therefore harvesting more fish and wanting to fish more because it is more fun...... I guess we should just take Fishingminnesota off the air.

Sorry people are coming to big sandy to fish I didnt know it was a locals lake only. Why people are so mad all the time I will never understand it's just fishing.

Macgyver ...100 percent figure... well I have had a house 25 years and fish house on BSL for 25 years! This year is crazy with the amount of houses, 100% more then last year.

I am not talking about summer fishing as the lake is under fished. I am talking about winter crappie fishing.

Ozzie...My board will be staying busy, sorry bud!!

I am not here to cause any problems, just want to get the message across to everyone from many locals that I have talked to up here. Fishingminnesota is great and has tons of great info.

Macgyver ...100 percent figure... well I have had a house 25 years and fish house on BSL for 25 years! This year is crazy with the amount of houses, 100% more then last year.

I am not talking about summer fishing as the lake is under fished. I am talking about winter crappie fishing.

I am not here to cause any problems, just want to get the message across to everyone from many locals that I have talked to up here. Fishingminnesota is great and has tons of great info.

I am sorry the locals feel this way.... I guess the rest of us should be upset you having been fishing BSL for 25 years along with many others and taking who knows how many crappies.... maybe if all the locals hadn't been fishing it for the past 25 years we could catch 17" crappies up there now.

I think the idea of this thread was to get at a certain FMer who does nothing but provide great information and dialogue on a daily basis. People who live in International Falls all the way to Winona have just as much right to fish the lake and take(within the limits) what they want. IF the crappie population is a lot less in future years then I guess everyone created their own problem, locals included.

as far as getting the message across..... last I checked BSL had an access managed by the MN DNR and funded by all MN taxpayers... not just the McGregor or BSL local area DNR.

There are plenty of waters and fish in MN, not sense getting all worked up because "your honeyhole" has a few more houses or trucks on it.

Crappiekeith... you are always welcome in my boat or on a bucket right along side me on the ice. Your info, dedication to the passion we all love and willingness to help others is much appreciated by many of us.

Dude, its not the Tullies people are complaining about, it's the crappies, but good try.

Here's my take on this issue. As a reader of FM for quite some time and finally becoming a member, I have never gone to a lake because of a report from this site. I actually like to read these reports from certain lakes as lakes I should avoid fishing, as crazy as that may sound. This site has great information on techniques and fish patterns that is second to none. I have never supported the idea of members naming specific lakes, but it is their right to choose to if they desire to do so. Who am I or anyone else for that matter to tell someone what they can and can not report on this site.

As far as more pressure on BSL, well, take a look around the pressure has increased on every body of water. The reality is that there are a lot more people ice fishing than there ever has been. Ice fishing has really sky rocketed the last 5 years and I think there are more and more people dong it every year. That's good! A big lake like BSL, I wouldn't worry about fishing it out. Fish are always on the move and there will always be areas where fish are not being pressured at all.

I also feel this post was directed towards CK and a few others, I don't think that was necessary at all. I will say that I enjoy CK's reports and hope that he continues to share with us his techniques and success on the water.

Hanson-I agree, way more people getting into ice fishing with the lack of snow. I think people are selling their sleds and buying 4 wheelers, it will only increase.

This site is a small fraction of the reason there are more people ice fishing on BSL. The Outdoor Weekly and Outdoor News for years have been saying "the crappies have been hitting on Bell Horn Bay. There are 2 other smaller lakes in the area that for years have been good crappie lakes that have been fished out, and they have not been listed on this forum. They got fished out by word of mouth. Several years ago, a local bait store made the mistake of putting a smaller lake in the paper about the crappies hitting on it and got quite a bit of flak about it and since refrained from listing smaller lakes as to where the fish are hitting.

The last time I fished Minnewawa, most of the permanents said Lawyer, Tamarack or McGregor. I look, just in case I recognize a name from the past.

Another thing to think about, is that more and more of the "cabins" on BSL are no longer cabins, so that those owners are staying or going up to BSL all year, not just leaving on Labor Day weekend. Add a nice place to stay, a 4 wheeler, a portable and you have way more people fishing.

Schroll down these forums and you will read where members are alway asking about the conditions on BSL and Minnewawa. What kind of answers do you think they are looking for??

This year we had good ice, and early ice, and not that many sub zero days, what do you expect to find? Nobody going out fishing?

Let's enjoy fishing!!!!

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
Not sure if this is supposed to be a shot at Keith or not but he has great respect for the lake and understands the importance of CPR and what over harvesting can do to a lake and is constantly preaching this.

Of coarse it is and thanks to everyone for their comments.

The scuttle is I've single handedly done in the lake.

I think I'm getting way more credit then I deserve.

As always if there's anything I can do for someone,just ask.

You have the righ to keep fish in your legal rights but if you consistantly take fish out and blame other people for the downfall of the lake I think you can look no further than the mirror and find part of the reason for the downfall!!

FYI...I've deleted everything I could in reference to you know what.In the future if someone needs help or wants info please send the invisible smoke signals.

As to the scuttle I'm doomed.

Can someone remind me why we have this board?

Probably too little too late. Why is it that all the folks who want this info posted never give up their own success stories???? I do agree though, it's the people that keep beyond their limits that ruin the good fishing. So.... why let these people know where to go and what to use???? This is a debate that could go on forever. Personally, I'll fish where I want and keep it to myself. I enjoy hearing the success stories and pics of nice catches but don't feel the need to know where or what caught them. I actually feel more pride figuring it out for myself to tell the truth. Whatever you guys want to do here is fine by me but from what I hear, you are making way more enemies than friends. Once again, I could care less one way or the other so do what you want.