• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team #5: Longbeard Assassins (6 for 6!)

Tippman

Congrats Hoyt and way to put us on the board! Looking forward to seeing the pics.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tippman

• Hoyt4

• sticknstring

• HateHumminbird

Nice work Hoyt - sounds like you had a good hunt. Lets see some pics from your trip! That quad-beard bird will make up for the headless jake that I've been informed I have to register. Two for two... who's up next?

Nice birds sticknstring glad you guys had some good luck.After that first day I didn't know how things where going to go.We have huge flocks still.I'm working on the pictures my camera for some reason would not pick up the dash on the tape measure we had to use a friend that when on the trip.So I'm trying to get them e-mailed to me.It might take a couple days.

I'm off to Kansas early Saturday if this 15" of snow we are suppose to get tonight and tomorrow will let me get out of here. I'm going on a semi-guided hunt down there and the landowner says the birds are gobbling great. Lots of birds. I'll see. I'm ready!

By the way, sounds like you had a great time in Neb. sticknstring, and you to Hoyt4!

Best of luck in Kansas paintbrush. I've never been down there. 4 of us are actually heading back down to NE today to take a a few youths out with the shotguns. Gonna be a little wet and cold but Sunday should be nice. If they get birds early... I might have time to sneak out and get a crack at another one. I'll report on Monday.

Well we ran into some good luck scouting on Fri and found a flock of 70 birds on some ground we were able to hunt... the storm really got the birds grouped back up. The boys did pretty well and made up for some missed shots last year. 5 birds including two toms in one shot! I snuck out with the bow for awhile after that but didn't have any birds within bow range. Starting to get a little educated. Hard to leave yesterday as it was absolutely gorgeous. I wished MN opened today... folks would have some awesome weather to hunt birds in. Wednesday will have to suffice.

Good luck Hoyt in Sodak and to everyone starting off MN wednesday morning! Off to the hills...

boys_small1.jpg

boys_small2.jpg

Well I wish I had an early season. I was out scouting today to set up a blind for a buddy I'm gonna put on a bird. There was 14 different tom's right around the area the blind was going! Groups of 1 to 6. I ended up just leaving so not to spook them and came back this afternoon and set up the blind. Does that get the blood pumping.

14 longbeards - now that's impressive! There should be a few leftover by the time archery season rolls around for ya. Hope your buddy gets one of 'em.

Ya it's the most I've seen in any one small area at once ever. The woods sounded like thunder with gobbling at first light. I tossed out a trail cam too, hopefully will have some pics to post on Wednesday. Now as long as I can do my job for the team in May..

Neat pic, thats a mess of goblers. I'd be happy with just one.

I start on Wednesday and it looks like the weather gonna finally break and warm up, just in time. I hunt in extreme SE MN, down by Houston and LaCrescent and I really think the winter took its toll down here. Lots of ice in December followed by a ton of snow all year long. I'm just not seeing birds and just not hearing any gobbling, just a few birds hear and there. So few in fact that I have yet to decide where I'm going opening morning. I have 5 farms lined up but none are real active. We'll see what happens, I only need one right! If the turkeys don't pan out then I'll fish some walleyes on the river and some brookies in the streams. Just looking forward to a little vacation.

Speaking of trail cams... here's one taken of the tom my girlfriend killed along with his buddy a week prior. And I'm pretty sure one of the 7 hens has a 6-7" beard as I saw the same group later on. If only I could've gotten a crack at her... we'd have two birds at the tax man!

Purple - Best of luck Wednesday... lets make it 3 for 3! And Hoyt I can get those pics up for you as well if you can get them to me by 5 today.

turk_trailcam.JPG

All right guys I just got back from Kansas a little bit ago, and want to report SUCCESS!! Took a 20 lb 13 0z. Rios the first day at 7:00 am and then another 17lbs 8 oz. bird at 10:00 am on the first day too. Tons of birds down there! First bird scored out at 57.6875. I'll get pictures and a full story up tomorrow, and get him registered in then also.

Originally Posted By: da_chise31
Cripes. MN season hasn't even started and the contest is already over.

Don't you love it! grin.gif Congrats paintbrush

Hoyt and Paintbrush, great birds! 4 beards is something else!

I managed to help us tonight too. Called in a bird at 7:10 pm! I'll get the score pics up tomorrow but he weighed in at 23lbs 12oz, 10 inch beard, and 7/8 inch spurs. What a chore fighting that wind today.

I was frustrated all day hearing only one gobble and seeing only one hen. Finally tonight the wind died down and I drove to a new farm and heard a gobble when I got out of the truck, off I went. He sounded a good distance away and I got moving too fast and crested this knoll in the woods only to spook a few birds. I gave a couple clucks real quick and one of the birds stopped and fanned out. He started to strut and the bird I was originally after sounded off again down the hill farther. When he turned his back to me I sat down and his hens dissapeared over the knoll and he followed. I tried calling to him but he was hung up about 60 yards out, gobbling to my calls but hung up. His hens actually left him and they started cutting and purring down the hill from me and I tried to immiatate them. I must have really ticked one of them off as she really let me have it with charp cuts and loud yelps, but each time she started in I cut her off making her even madder.

He was still in between me and the hens gobbling up a storm while the "hen fight" was going on. Finally his hens shut up and I just kept hammering away with sharp cuts from a diaphram, he kept gobbling, and finally made a move toward me. As soon as I knew he had made his move I shut up. I was set up right on the other side of the tiny knoll and it wasnt long before I could hear leaves rustling and up popped his head. At 25 yards he hung up again but I could see only his head clearly and down he went.

What a thrill it is when you can cackle and cut as hard as you could ever want to and it only fires him up more. This was a case where had I backed off my calling when he first answered me, I think I would have lost him. I think me out talking that other hen closed the deal.

035.jpg

Awesome Mnpurple! That's a thick beard. Great story with it too, isn't that exciting! So if my math is correct the Longbeard Assassins are 4 for 4 now grin.gif

This is a murderer's row of turkey hunters.....Just an embarrassment of riches over here...Congrats.

Paintbrush and Purple - Congratulations! Nice birds you guys scored on. I love that picture with the full moon. Very nice. Paint - lets see some pics of your Kansas Rios. Last I heard Tipp was heading out to a spot where he had 9 longbeards on a trail cam so hopefully we'll be 5-5!

We got back from the Black Hills last night and although it was great trip, we came home empty-handed. In fact, we didn't even get any shots. The weather couldn't have been nicer. It was snowing the day we pulled in but a half hour later the sun was out and it stayed that way the rest of the trip without any wind. Definitely a learning experience. A lot different hunting than back home. The Fall River prairie unit wasn't too bad... more pastures and draws like you'd see here. We were on birds the entire time down there but couldn't get them to come in. Flocked up in groups of 20-30 and calling the boss hen in was next to impossible. You'd touch the call and they'd go the opposite way. Up to Custer and the hunting got even harder. Made a few stalks but with archery equipment it seldom works out and it held true in our case. Little gobbling. Made an effort to head up towards Deerfield Lake but ran into about 3 feet of snow above 6000 ft and had to turn back. I think a week or so later and the hunting will improve. Definitely feel defeated that's for sure. But I love the challenge and will be back... maybe even before the season closes. Saw lots of game... plenty of mulies, antelope, and unbelievable numbers of whitetails. I was really hoping to get on some elk but that didn't pan out. Anyone else been out there or plan on going? I'd love to chat about current or past hunting adventures out there. Neat place for sure.

Sounds like a fun trip sticknstring. I would love to travel doing more hunting out of state.

I don't get to hunt for 3 weeks yet as I didn't get drawn this year. I've never late season hunted before so am excited to see how it goes. Unfortunately I have fishing opener and a Boundary Waters trip also planned during my open season.

Oh that's right... for some reason I was thinking you were headed out this morning. The 16th will be here before you know it. If I can land a spot - I'll try and get out as well. Those trail cam pics are awesome. Keep 'em coming. Did your buddy ever score a bird during A? We always do a spring BWCA trip as well but vacation ran out this spring with turkey jaunts... which entrance point you going out of?

I'll be checking the trail cam again soon and will try and post more pics. I had a VERY nice tom 15 yrds in front of him. Long story but first he didn't have the chamber closed all the way and click, then he got a shot at about 23 yrds and didn't kill it, fired once more at 35 and the bird was still going. We put in quite a bit of time looking and just feathers, no blood. I don't know what he was doing, kinda frustrating. I have the whole thing on video too but it didn't turn out for some reason, it's blurry.

Put in at a different place nearly every year in the BW. Really getting to know the whole area by doing this and it's nice seeing different places. This year we enter Crab lake #4. Gotta put in at Burntside to get there, then it's a mile portage. Should give us a workout. Lots of different lakes to go to in this area once we pass the long portage.

sticknstring I am heading to Custer Wednesday night through the weekend. The weather forecasts I have seen this spring look depressing. Last year we were out there for the opener and it was too early. We talked with a lot of guys that said 2006 was great with lots of birds around on opening weekend and 2007 the birds were still at lower elevations. So this year we chose to go later but I'm sure it is going to be late enough yet. Last year we still went 2 for 3. This year its just me and Wanderer.

Is there still snow in the Hills? Did any of the deer or elk still have there antlers? Last year the bucks had dropped but the elk still had their antlers. I am hoping to find a good elk shed this year.