• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Liriano to minors!?!

Dahitman44

I agree, they shouldn't have brought him up. Why celebrate because his arm didn't fall off? He's been throwing for quite a while now, did anyone expect it to?

Make him prove he's healthy & EFFECTIVE in AAA. This is the major leagues. We don't need a guy with less than a full season under his belt as a starter getting dialed in on the Twins time. If his name is Mussina, or even Silva, that's different, they're proven starters (OK, Silva's open to debate). He needs/needed to earn his way back. He didn't. And that's what you get, a crappy start.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
lets go with a 4 man rotation.

Maybe 3- Boofs killing my fantasy team

Originally Posted By: zamboni
 Originally Posted By: SledNeck
lets go with a 4 man rotation.

Maybe 3- Boofs killing my fantasy team

Im a Twins Fan only

Whats everyone's thoughts on throwing Liriano as a middle relief pitcher for a month or so?

Come on guys. It was his first start back from TOMMY JOHN SURGERY on an ice cold day in KC. Give him another start or two before you criticize him.

He is a dominican product you know. They don't see 32 degrees very often. grin.gif

Originally Posted By: riverrat56
Whats everyone's thoughts on throwing Liriano as a middle relief pitcher for a month or so?

I think he is better off in the minors where he can start every fifth day and build himself up to 90-95 pitches...and he will be better able to work on fine tuning his pitches and on his control better if he is going 5-6 innings at a time.

In relief, he can't really get into a groove and work on the things he needs to work on...in my opinion, anyway.

As a former catcher at the high school, college, & amateur level I believe that unless he changes his mechanics that he will blow his arm up again. When he threw against the red sox in spring training he was stepping, throwing, & following through directly toward the catcher. If read the star trib article the next day he was quoted as being worried about throwing hard enough. Boys--- that was alot better of an outing than he had today.!! He is stepping his lead foot directly at a left handed hitter and throwing accross his body and falling off the mound again. If you saw the replays of 2006 today you saw the same form as today---- The form that blew his arm apart. Yes, he was nearly untouchable then and may get his control back but I have my doughts. He had good control that day against the Sox which makes me believe that maybe this guy wants pitch his own way. Joe Nathan had the same surgery with the Giants but with great mechanics he hasn't had any trouble. He may never be the same again armwise so he could just as well go back to the minors and learn to listen to the coaches and change the mechanics or maybe he will need to be a lefty setup man for Nathan and throw gas untill it pops again.

I also agree, terrible idea to bring him up to pitch in the COLD. Let him work things out in the minors and bring him up at home or when the weather is decent. No sense rushing him!

I think Pier may have played one too many games on the ice without a helmet! LOL

Just messin' with you Pier, just to let you know I am still out there.

Windy

Odds are that he will never regain his old form, as many tommy john victims in the past. It is a grueling surgery, and at least a 2 year rehab to regain full strength, prior form is questionable. It is illogical to think someone could regain full form when they are missing an original body part \:\) I'm not a Twins fan, but they are definately pushing him to quickly. Cold weather is bad, give him starts in the minors with some breaks every now and again but make sure the temp is favorable. Throwing a good bullpen will give him just as good a work out, and increase his stamina as the rest between innings are not there. I've seen these rehabs first hand, and it's a tough road with a lot of disappointment along the way. If they push him too hard (probably out of desperation grin.gif ) , and make no mechanical adjustments, he will not last long and could threaten his career. Slider throwers are prone to elbow problems as most throw them wrong but with great success, and it wears on them greatly. It is a tough pitch to throw without causing damage and that is why you see slider pitchers always have elbow problems.