• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Liriano to minors!?!

Dahitman44

Smartest move for the Twins, but after his 7 ks in 5 innings yesterday ... Can't wait to see him up this season.

Don't know how many sliders he will throw, but it should be fun.

Sounds like he'll be tossing a couple of starts in the minors... I can't disagree with the move. He needs to get that slider into shape before he returns.

Mike,

A couple starts in the minors? I would not look for the second coming until 09 my Twinkie loving friend! And you have to allow for the possibility that he might never pitch like his old form. Maybe they should have ponied up and signed YO?

Windy

I hope he never pitches like his old form. That's what got him hurt. Good move on the Twins part to hold him back a bit. His spring has had mixed results. On the positive side, about a strikeout per inning. On the negative side, only three innings per start, 4.02 ERA, and twenty-three baserunners in those fifteen innings. Gladden pointed out in his last start that he's tipping his offspeed stuff.

Originally Posted By: Windy City Walleye Hunter
Mike,

A couple starts in the minors? I would not look for the second coming until 09 my Twinkie loving friend! And you have to allow for the possibility that he might never pitch like his old form. Maybe they should have ponied up and signed YO?

Windy

Yes?

Quote:
"Yes, he could probably go with us [now] and do as good as a lot of pitchers in this league," Gardenhire said. "But another start or two is the right thing. We'll get his pitch count up there close to 100 pitches in a couple starts, and we're going to do everything that's right for him."

Quote:
Francisco Liriano feels like he's ready to start the season in the Twins' rotation.

The Twins prefer to give the left-hander a little bit more time.

What makes you think he isn't going to be able to pitch this year? He just started his spring a little bit late, and it appears he needs just a little more time. We don't have a problem with that considering what he is coming back from!

Clearly he probably won't return to the same form as his 2006 season. But whose to say he won't return and have a solid season?

Franny will be fine.

He will have to work on a few things but 14 wins 3.70 era 165ks and a whip of 1.15 will be good for a kid coming off of TJ surgery.

will the nasty slider ever be the same? Time will tell.

I'm not looking for him to be as dominate as 06 this year. He will still be good though I think.

Usually it is the 2nd year after the TJ that a pitcher regains his form.

I believe the Twins are thinking he needs some more time in the minors to sharpen his stuff up. Get his velocity and pitch count up, then they bring him north. I'll bet money that it is more than 2 starts though.

Liriano will be on a very strict pitch count all year. THey don't want him to open it up quite yet!

From this morning:

NORFOLK, Va. -- Twins pitcher Francisco Liriano had an erratic second rehab start for Triple-A Rochester on Tuesday night.

Liriano, recovering from reconstructive elbow surgery that forced him to miss the entire 2007 season, gave up three runs and five hits in four innings in a loss to Norfolk. Liriano walked three and struck out three.

Liriano threw 88 pitches Tuesday, a few more than he threw for Class A Fort Myers on Thursday.

"I am just trying to get confident," Liriano said.

Liriano went 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA in 2006 before missing last season after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

"No one wants to get hurt. There's nothing I can do about it," he said. "I'm just trying to get better and I'm working hard."

Rochester manager Stan Cliburn said he didn't think Liriano was real sharp.

"He got deep in counts," Cliburn said. "His fastball was good. The only thing good I saw is he's confident in his breaking ball."

The skipper said two Casilla errors errors probably cost L 15 pitches.

Originally Posted By: IFallsRon
The skipper said two Casilla errors errors probably cost L 15 pitches.

Rochester manager Stan Cliburn said he didn't think Liriano was real sharp.

"He got deep in counts," Cliburn said. "His fastball was good. The only thing good I saw is he's confident in his breaking ball."

Yeah -- it might not be as easy as some people said it would. give him another two weeks I would bet/hope his is ready.

Hitman,

I hate to burst your bubble but I would not look for him until after the All Star game, he might not be back until 09. I have not heard ringing endorsements from anybody involved in the situation. So send him our way and I will get Crede all cleaned up and ready for his Twinkie uni fitting!

Windy

Honestly, I hope you are right, I hope they dont push him too hard and force him to step up.

As a Twins fan, I don't even want to see him before the All-Star break. I want to see him limited to about 150 or so innings this year.

He has too many good years in front of him to risk it by trying to push him too far this year.

Sounds like smart Twinkie fans out there, hopefully your management is thinking the same. Even though we cheer against him here in the Windy City, you don't want to see any young talent destroyed by rushing back....besides we might just sign him when ole Carl goes cheap on signing him when he makes it big!!!

Windy

We are talking about the twins...Liriano will be on a strict pitch count and won't be pushed hard. The Twins handle young arms with cotton gloves.

The guy took over a year off, people need to give him a break he will pitch before the all star break but wont do the best, he will gain form after the star break

Sounds like Liriano is being called up to start the game on Tuesday against Detroit, Lets hope it isnt to soon!

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
Sounds like Liriano is being called up to start the game on Tuesday against Detroit, Lets hope it isnt to soon!

Where did you hear that? The way I understood it, they will be waiting until Sunday to make that decision. If there is a rain day this weekend in KC, he will stay in the minors.

I want to see him up, but I don't want to see him up if he is gonna get hammered all over the park. Can you imagine the whining and the negativity that will sweep across Twins territory if he goes out and gets shelled right away? If he has his command, is sharp and that breaking pitch is working, call him up. If not, I say let him keep working until he is ready.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Francisco Liriano could be called up from Triple-A to start Tuesday against the Tigers.

Liriano was considered for Sunday's start, but won't be needed thanks to a rainout on Thursday. The Twins may have another game canceled by weather before Tuesday, in which case the decision on when to call up Liriano could be put off again. He's scheduled to start Sunday at Triple-A, but could be pulled from the outing early or scratched altogether if the Twins plan to bring him up next week. Liriano has a 7.56 ERA through two starts in the minors and has struggled with his command, so the Twins should be in no hurry to promote him.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Yeah, Francisco will start tomorrow. Hopefully he has some of that magic!

i have a feeling he will get a standing ovation when he walks onto the field.

Maybe from the Twins fans he will get an ovation. Or possibly from the Royals if he gets rocked early on..... Hopefully it'll be a good game and the Twins can pick up a sweep. Even better would be another shutout!!!!!

About as good as could be hoped for from Liriano today. Pitches looked decent...four strikeouts is encouraging.

He just needs more time to get his arm strength and pitch control back.

He needs work, but it won't be helping him unless he's pitching against Major League hitters. It's a wise decision, and we shouldn't expect much from him until he finds himself again.

Originally Posted By: IFallsRon
Poor decision to bring him up today. He obviously needs more work.

I think the really poor decision was letting him pitch TODAY. I lived in Kansas City so I went on Yahoo weather during the game and entered the zip- 64111. 39 degrees. Same as the temp here for most of the game. He should really be held out unless it is above 50, or in the 'Dome, IMO