• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
michaelpettersen82

How much ice can you lose in one day???????

michaelpettersen82

Was just wondering with the temps the last few days, how much everyone thinks we lost. I was just wondering if local lakes are still ok to drive on.

PerchJerker

It's not so much that you "lose" ice, it's that the ice deteriorates, softens, and weakens.

I don't think the first 1 or 2 warm sunny days is enough to do any damage, but it's up to you and to the specific lake you're thinking about going out on.

Carp-fisher

The ice really starts to go fast once it quits getting below freezing at night.

iFishMN.us

First to go will be the access's, be carfull and check them out before you drive on.

Coach

A good hard rain will eat up a lot of ice.

tisosy11

I would say soon enough would be time to stop driving on the ice!

McGurk

In most cases, the worst part is the 1st 50' from shore. If you can get on the lake you should be fine. The shorelines heat up much faster than the body of water in the sun and melt the shoreline ice first. This also happens around rocks, trees, and dock supports sticking out of the water; they heat up and melt surrounding ice.

As was also stated, the "toilet bowl" effeect in open holes will erode ice very quickly, too, so stay away from actively moving water on top of the ice as that ice will be weaker and thinner.

tisosy11

Yea - our 8 inch holes turned into 12 inch holes yesterday in the matter of a couple hours!

Be safe out there!

SFBOY

we fished up on winnie a couple of years ago on the way up to LOW in the middle of march. stopped on a thursday morning and the ice was 30 plus inches thick and rock hard. the weather changed for the next three days and was in the mid 40's. we stopped back at Winnie and found the ice thickness was the same, but the auger was bringing up shavings that were much different consistency than we had three days earlier. it doesnt take much to change the ice all the way through. remember, the sun is much higher in the sky now and the nights are not as cold. still, the average ice out time up at the cabin north of hibbing is April 26th.

claypigeon

Still 2 feet of ice as of last night. The top three inches is rather soft. You can still drive although ice out is the oposite of first ice, ice out you should stay away from the shoreline.

Have the craps moved shallower yet?