• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prior Lake Ice Conditions

I was wondering if anybody knows what the ice conditions are on Prior Lake. I'm thinking of going out on Lower Prior (the northern lake) this sfternoon after I get off work. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lots off water but I think it is still safe. Its your call I was on the lake yeterday with my truck and had no worries.

there is very much water but underneath there is a good 2 feet of ice but near the accesses the ice is pretty bad

i went out this afternoon and the ice is melting fast. i would be careful around sportsmans. i was fishing one hole today and the water was gushing into it making it look like a toilet flushing. it more or less was, with the turds on the ice from the permanents. there was a decent bite today. fished from 15ft to 28ft. found fish in about every hole. the first drop down the hole caught the bigger fish of the day. it sure paid to move around today. and it was a perfect day to be out. the sun was shining, the birds were talking, and there was life in the air. you could tell spring is coming. i had my boots so i walked to all the open holes around and fished a nice piece of the lake. mostly gills. a few crappies and perch. it was an adventure though. there was water everywhere out there. but i was like a kid in a puddle. i was wondering if i was going to be able to get back off sportsmans when i was done. the ice held and i made er back.

Well I didn't get out yesterday. The wife had other plans.

Hopefully tonight's forecasted low of teens for the surrounding burbs will help the ice conditions. I hope to get out tomorrow PM. \:\)

On Saturday I drove out from the Sand Point access. It was a little rough with some deep ruts. It was kind of an eerie feeling driving on the lake, feeling and hearing the truck sink through the top layer of crust. Once we setup and drilled our holes there was at least 24 inches of ice. It was a slow day. Finally got two crappies after dark. That was all. We were using crappie minnows and wax worms. They would not touch the wax worms. When they did bite on the minnows it was tough to set the hook. They must have been just mouthing them because the bobber would go down but you couldn't set the hook. If you waited and watched, the bobber would go half way down the hole and stop. I'd give the line a little tug and the bobber would go back down a liitle. Tug again and start reeling and they would just let go.