• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gobbler Guillotine

elevatorguy

I was wondering if anyone has tried these. I was thinking about maybe trying them and was wondering if I could get some feedback. So do they actually fly like field points? Or will it be a waste of money and I should just stick to my regular expandables.

I have not used them, but I am considering them for this year.

It seems the largest problem with using them is having a proper arrow for good reliable flight. Most people recommend the arrows from Arrow Dynamics who makes the head. Its a heavy 31" arrow with an aggressive 5" helical.

Some people have tried to get them to work on their own shafts by doing their own fletchings with mixed results. From what I've found the only things that seems to work on regular shafts is the new FOB. I'm still skeptical, but the idea is interesting.

I think Joel Nelson tried them last year if I remember right. There lots of positive reports online and some great videos too.

Elevatorguy:

I got the chance to field test these things a few years ago when they were coming out, and I loved them. I've killed a bird with them, and been in the blind to witness what they do to a bird quite a few times!

The downside I saw, was that I didn't care for reworking my tuning and sights between deer/turkey seasons. You're flinging a long tapered arrow with massive double tapered helical fletching with a 125gr head on the end of it. I like using the lumenocks, which adds another level of arrow-goofiness. If you're a bow-nerd like Deitz, or simply interested in shooting a very ethical head that cleanly kills turkeys, this is your head.

I witnessed two different body shots with the thing, which really made me a believer. Both bounced off and the bird ran, then flew away unharmed. The head/neck shots were great, either stone dead or like a chicken......

They're definitely the real deal, but I'm going to give the rage's a chance this year to keep my bow more accurate and in-tune. I fully acknowledge that it's my own ineptitude in not getting these things to hit consistently, not the product.

Joel

Thanks Joel for the info. That is excactly what I was looking for is someone with a first hand experience with them. And I think I just might stick to to the same ole same ole expandables. Sounds like a lot to buy with the heads and more arrows for a few days a year. If I had more time and could afford to go to more states I would definately look into them. I also was thinking about trying the Rages out myself. You will have to let me know how they work for you if you try them this year for turkeys. I have some broadheads left so I am set for turkeys but I definately might try them come this fall.

Just ordered some bullheads they should be here buy the end of the week, they look pretty sweet and they say no straws.....

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy and I were in Joe's Sporting Goods last year, watching a turkey video. Weren't sure what was going on, only that he was gonna shoot soon. All of a sudden the bird's head is on the ground, and we're like "what the hey??!"

Then the dude yells and shouts " I am the GUILLOTINE COMMANDER!"

hahah. As for retuning your sights jnelson... I got an easy fix - go traditional and shoot a longbow. It gets rid of that pesky sight adjustment ;\)

Does the statement listed in the DNR regs "must be of a blunthead design" change what broadheads a person must look at differently for Turkey hunting vs Deer hunting?

From the conversation above it sounds like my Rage's will be fine, right?

Thanks

arrows must be tipped with either a blunt tip or a broadhead that is at least 7/8" in diameter and have at least 2 cutting edges on them.

Your rage's should be fine.