• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
glenn57

rice lake

glenn57

what, if anything is happening on rice. has anyone got any crappies? this forums been really silent on rice.

Stick in Mud

That must mean the fish are biting out there!!!!!

Borch

A major class of 6-8 inch crappies are dminating the catch. Lot of decent ones to be had but you have to get past the little guys first.

Dean Schellinger

That is good news for the future!! Might have to make a couple trips out that direction next winter.

glenn57

thats what ive been hearing also. thought things might change towards spring. oh well.

Stick in Mud

There must be a major class of 6-8 inch crappies dominating the catch on every lake I fish! crazy.gif

The Donk

Originally Posted By: FlowageTamer
That is good news for the future!! Might have to make a couple trips out that direction next winter.

Not to rain on the parade flowage, but they will be 8-10 inch crappies next year. But, I'm sure there will be plenty of guys out there filling half a 5 gallon pail, so knock yourself out. If you know where to look, however, there are some nice ones in there...

Sartell Angler

I guess I've never bothered to measure a crappie unless it was a hog, but I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with a 10 inch crappie.

It isn't hard to figure out when a crappie is a keeper and I know Flowage has that ability as well.

Guys keeping 12 inch+ crappies are guys keeping mushy fish!

The Donk

Maybe in the summer, a 12" crappie in the winter is as tough as any little guy. A 10" crappie is keepable, I'll give you that, but the guys that are going out there for meat and have 2 10"ers on the ice are going to start keeping the 8"ers for a meal. I'm sure flowage has that ability, I was just stating the problem that will occur when people are out there next year.

Dean Schellinger

I understand where you are coming from Donk, I have seen it too, there are way to many people out there keeping small crappies. And same goes for tiny walleyes in some places I have fished this winter and it makes me sick to watch those go into the bucket. I think a 10"-12" crappie is the perfect eater size. And around St. Cloud that is usually on the bigger side, finding crappies larger than 12" on the lakes I fish is pretty rare, at least for me. In the spring, I won't even keep the real big females, those go back into the lake, I will keep a couple of the darker, smaller males if I want a meal. I really think panfish should have some restrictions in the spring because of how vunerable they are siting on their spawning beds.

Stick in Mud

I second that notion. Why aren't panfish as protected as other species?

Sartell Angler

I don't think there is a reason, beyond the fact that they have always been a plentiful fish with few restrictions on them.

As quality fish become fewer and farther between, however, I think we will start to see regulations going into effect to protect 'em.

I'd personally rather catch more nice crappies and sunnies and bring home less than sit there all day catching little dinks and hoping to sort through enough to scrounge out a meal.

The Donk

Exactly.

JoshM

You will defantly start seeing more regs on panfish the dnr doesnt want to have to start stocking them too.We shouldnt wait for them to tell us though we need to regulate ourselves.Just my opinion.

Stick in Mud

As many have also mentioned, I also find it troubling to observe people overharvesting panfish. I wonder why the catch-and-release ethos hasn't caught on with panfishermen the way it has with bass, muskie, and even walleye fisherman. Bass guys are especially protective of their fish--I remember one guy last year saying he "wanted to puke" when he saw a guy keep a largemouth! While I don't share this much reverence for any species of fish, I do wish that more panfishermen felt a little more responsible for the state of our fisheries. Last year I was catching lots of panfish in the Miss--from Aitkin to Elk River--and I kept maybe a dozen all year. I remember seeing guys keep every one they caught and thinking to myself, there aren't enough fish here to support this type of harvest.

Maybe the younger generations are going to be better at this? I have this image in my head of the "typical" pannie guy being a retiree with a flat-brimmed hat and a Zebco...as it happens, this seems to be the guy I see get caught with 250 crappies in his freezer. It's certainly only a generalization, and I don't want to offed anyone, but I think maybe it'll get better as the younger crowd gets more into panfish. Just my 2 cents.