• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well I tried out a new lake today. I like to try a new lake out at least once a winter. Just get a map, stop at a baitstore close by and see what the guys there recomend. It just happened to be Fishermans Corner this time out. I will not let the name of this lake out because the bite was on fire. NOT!

Anyways I got on the ice about 4 pm. Drilled about 30 holes and searched them all out. Only 1 hole showed activity. I sat on it and banged 2 small crappies in my 1st 5 drops. Set up the house and kept catching small crappies and rockpass and some perch. All small.

About 5:30 I got a nice 11"er and then it died. Fished til about 7 and was getting set to admit defeat when a big marked showed up about 14' off bottom in the 31' I was fishing. Realed up and it smacked the line only to come off a crank into the fight. Dropped back to where it still sat and it popped me again. Rod bent over real nicely. (Jason Mtchell beef stick) Got it in this time and it was a big fat 14" Crappie. Red Lake thick too.

Fished another 1/2 hour and didnt see anything more. \:\(

For those who havent tried that Jason Mitchell Beef Stick for pannies I highly suggest it. Spring bobber sensitive tip but has lots of back bone. I also dead stick eyes with it. I actually prefer it over my spring bobber rods now.

Enough rod talk. The best panfish fishing is yet to come so everyone get out when ya can. Still tons of ice on our local lakes.

How is everyone elses panfishing going?

sounds like a fun trip, especially because you had no previous expectations...got out once last weekend just on fish lake and managed to catch some bluegills and small crappies. All small between 5-8in. Spring break starts for me next week and i'm planning on heading north to a lake i have never fished before...can't wait to get some r&r!

I think Thurs or Fri I am going to hit Island Lake North of Duluth and take the sled out to some fishy looking spots on the map. Who knows maybe Ill be rewarded.

Anyone else have any suggestions of lakes within a hour to go try for some Crappies? Something that doesnt get fished much but that I can walk or sled in to.

Just looking for a new experience and to get away from the crowds around these parts.

I've wanted to try Prairie but I don't know anything about the lake. It looks like it could be good, but Ive never heard anything about it, just seen it in the lake map book. I'd like to go this weekend, but I'm going to Mexico and gonna do some deep sea fishing. Cmon Mahi Mahi!!

I'm fishing in Cozumel with my kids next week for bottom fish and then in Belize offshore leaving the kids as I go for billfish. I would trade it all for a reliable Crappie hole in Ely. Hans

Hans,

I'll be in Akumal next week. (30 miles south of you) Not to jack this thread but do you know anything about the fishing there?

pickle

I don't know a thing. I have fished the gulf coast out of Pensecola and Navare and am very confident I could self guide inshore species and with the right rig and gps have alot of success fishing recks. I'm cruising out of Miami and booked shore excursions through NCL. I did no research and have heard no word of mouth. The price seems to good to be true so I'm not getting my hopes up. I would just rather be on the water than looking for ruins in the jungle. You can never go wrong buying frozen shrimp at the market and letting them sit on the bottom using a spining rig. Any blue runners,needle fish,pinfish can be upgraded and sent back out on a 30 pound rig. Keep the flounder and pompanpo for the table. I have a ball getting the scoop from the local baitstore, you can usually find a fishing rag with hot tips. Give us a report when you get back.

In case crooks are thinking of robbing my open house while I'm gone- I got a house sitter -Ditchpickle said he did too!

Northlander,

I'm not sure if you talked to Pout-Slayer after we were out. We did alright during the evening bite. I tried our early ice spot during the middle of the day and was only able to find small Perch for the most part. I was on the west side before Pout-Slayer showed up and found what turned out to be a whole lot of Shiners. I'm planning on heading out this afternoon if the wet weather doesn't get to bad.

BD110 call me on the cel and Ill meet up with you after work. Ill be at Fish about 3:20.

Hans,

I've fished for billfish out of Mazatlan and Acapulco (yeah, this is some crappie thread, sorry) and was very happy with what ended up being a pretty inexpensive excursion. Normally four on a boat, for $100/piece + $5 for lunch and $10(?) for a license. Unfortunately we caught we caught a marlin on the first trip that cost me a $100 tip and $800 mount, and a sailfish on the second that cost me another $100 tip.

Say NL, where can I find those Beef Sticks rods, and what kind of Bling??? Thanks. MOBY

Moby, I'm not positive but I think he means the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick. Marine General had one or two left as of last week. I have one, just haven't tried it...but it seems really nice.

Jason Mitchel is a sponsor here on FM. Hit the sponsors link at the bottom of my post and you will see Jason Mtchell in the middle colomn about 1/3rd way down.

Ya its the meat stick sorry. I used mine all day today and the more I use it the more I like it. I actually like it better than the spring bobber rod he makes. I find the meat stick tip to be more sensitive than the spring bobber on the sring bobber rod.

Im thinking about selling some of my spring bobber rods and going with more meat sticks.

I think they run $30 but if Marine General has any left I think they are 25% off if not more.

Thanks for the info guys...

Yeah MG has only one left, so I ordered a couple from a certain Warehouse that Sportsmen go to, they had to get them from their store way out West, should arrive at the house between Sat. and Mon., can't wait to try 'em out!!! \:\)

Mobey I will tel ya that I found 3# test or less works best on that rod. 4# is doable but I found 3# and less just flows through the guides better.

I use the 4# when Im deadsticking eyes. 2 or 3# when panfishing.

Find a nice small reel and your in bussines.

Let me know what ya think when you have used them a few times.

Another hint is if Im using real small baits like 64th oz I put a small shot about 16" up the line. Gets my bait down quicker and helps keep line coil down as well as allows you to read the absence of weight better. We all know Crappies like to hit on the rise.