• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Moose hunting question

JohnD

I plan on applying for moose this year with a buddy, my question is this-

My buddy is in the military, and on the off chance that we get drawn, and he gets shipped out somewhere before the season starts, will I still be able to hunt? I realize that it would be physically impossible to do myself, and would have to get a couple guys to help, but I don't want to lose my once in a lifetime hunt if the other member of my party can't hunt.

rowdyf

Apply with the max of 4 guys, or at least 3, that way you can still hunt if your buddy is gone.

89Bronco

JohnD,

I applied with my wife every year and she's a non-hunter and we got picked for last fall. I basically did a solo hunt. I had a lot of help with advice from some good people who were successful in the same zone I was hunting, as well as another FM'er from Baudette who gave me encouragement and a few tips (he hunts for moose in Canada), and my uncle in Alaska who gave me some good tips. But the 5 days that I hunted were by myself. After the moose was down, a few phone calls down the phone tree and I had some people there to help me pack it out. I stayed in a bunkhouse on the Echo Trail and another guy staying there was doing the same thing as me...he applied with his wife and he was basically hunting solo.

So...in a shorter answer...Yes you can still hunt. Good luck!

JohnD

Thank you very much

PerchJerker

I have not been drawn for the moose hunt and I don't know for sure, but .......

I am pretty sure the whole group is required to hunt together. I had a friend get drawn who applied with just 1 other guy --- the other guy wanted to back out but I think he ended up having to go so the other guy in his party could hunt???

A phone call or email to the DNR would let you know for sure.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Neutz68
      Nope...   320er...   Thanks for the info.. 
    • fish_time
      I had an absolutely beautiful day on the water. The crappies I caught were over 12" . I personally have to say pink and white, and white on pink is the way to go for spring crappies. Enjoy. https://youtu.be/o19q4K1urBE  
    • Getanet
      Where the heck was this advice a month ago when I was booking our trip!  I knew nothing about Kabotegama and really only had a few choices of campsites available for the dates we wanted to go. Wood Duck Island looked as good as any. After I made the reservation I had read that the west end of the lake had better fishing earlier in the year since it was shallower than the east and the water warmed up quicker. Goes to show you can't trust everything you read on the internet. Even though we got skunked on walleye it was still one of our favorite trips. My buddy and I typically stay at a resort or one of our family's cabins. Camping got us outside doing stuff a lot more. If we had a roof over our head and a TV we would have spent a lot less time fishing when the weather stunk.
    • MN BassFisher
      Haha. We were using mostly Size 11's for our bites - Shadow Raps. Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it. The last few times I've tried to document our Walleye outings up there we only get like 1 or 2 fish and I don't do anything with the footage so I was glad to catch a handful to edit into a video.
    • MikeG3Boat
      This may not be what you want to hear but the answer is most definitely yes!  The Mega imaging really paints a perfect picture, you do not have to be an expert in reading side imaging any more you just look at the pictures and know exactly what your looking at.  On a side note, the outside case of the Helix 9 and Helix 10 are exactly the same.  I know the 10 is quite a bit more but believe me it is worth it.  I have made the decision to try and save some money many times in my life and only been disappointed, when your wishing you spent the extra cash within a month of your purchase that stinks and it is a really expensive decision to fix.  Just my $0.02.  Good Luck with your purchase.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I heard reports that the Fectos Point area has been good. I have not been there though. Big Bay is still going. I caught 7 in about an hour right at noon in pouring rain! Cliff
    • imhatz
      Was at Sand Point 5/17-5/23...did ok only..5 eyes, pike and smallies. The water temp rose so fast it turned off fish. We did better on Friday and Sat...then water warmed and slowed. Most on rapalas...no live bait.. That was a mistake may have done better. Hey slush you in a hot spot...or normal area on Crane. We tried NW bay and only Pike
    • Sushilicious
    • Sushilicious
    • Sushilicious
      So dad, my bro, n I started fishing at 4pm last Sunday (crane). We caught 21 eyes, 4 sauger, n a 10in. Perch. We were fortunate enough that 12 eyes, 2 saugers n the perch were keepers. We also had the pleasure of throwing back two 18", a 22" and a 24" eye. We ended up fishing  for 5 hours. There were 2 thing we noticed that affected r fishing. (A) the lack of water ment lack of current which is fundamental the first 3 weeks of opener. (B) we seen 14+ eyes surface as well as 6-7 mayflies in the boat. Getanet I hate 2 state the obvious but from my quick look at kab u weren't even close to a spot I would think would be good this time of year. The best 4 types of spots the first 3 weeks of eyes opener in vnp r current, current, current, n sand. I've never fished kab this time of year but I know Sullivan bay/ash river is the best spot.