• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Headlights won't turn off

FishinFix

Question

98 Ford Windstar headlights don't turn off. I have tried disconnecting the headlight switch. I have pulled the relay. Any other ideas? Thanks

13 answers to this question

Do you have day time running lamps? How long have you owned the van? Is the van from Canada (check drivers door VIN tag on door by latch. Look for a Maple leaf on white vin tag), if so call dealer, give them V.I.N. and have them check for recalls.

It could be day time running lamp module concern. Other than that, multi-funtion switch issue????

Good luck.

It is from Canada, so I believe it has day time running lights. It's not my van, but has been around for a while. If I disconnect the DTR light module, will this fix my problem? Or do I need to buy a new module. Also does anyone know where I will find the module in this model? I looked a little yesterday and didn't find it. I also didn't know what the module looked like exactly. Thanks again

Can you still switch from low to high beam?

It is up by the radiator, I believe on the left side area. It will be a black box. I think if you disconnect it, the head light will go off, but not work at all. I would check for an open recall first on the van. I think I have heard of a by-pass kit for the module and American driving. I would contact local dealer and/or parts department.

Good luck..

I will give the dealer a call. You guys are great thanks for your quick responses!

Yes the DRL module is in the lf of the van. The Canada ones have the module, the US ones have a dummy plug that just jumps the wires . If you get a smart parts guy, he can find and order you the plug, and you wont need to buy the module. If not call a junk yard, explain where it is, and tell them its just a dummy plug that connects to the harness.

The more I think about this, I can remember ordering a plug and tech jumpered a temporary wire, so head lights worked until plug or module was in stock..

I replaced the daytime running light module and that didn't fix the problem. Any other ideas?

It can be a multi function switch or an autolamp concern, if so equiped. Try pulling these fuses, in the inside of the van, first pull fuse 38, see if they go out, then pull both of these, #4 & #10 fuse, see if it goes out.

I unplugged the module and everything works fine. So I'm going to call the problem fixed!