• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

multiple lines inland waters

problems: dnr is underfunded, kids are not interested in fishing like they were in the past. possible solution: selling extra lines to adults an letting kids under 16 fish more for free. what are some views on this? i mean an extra ...what... 7 bucks for a second line? that would be reasonable. kids i talk to and friends talk to about fishing pretty much say the same thing. ''borrrrring''. as an avid st. croix fisherman i'm blessed with the two line priveledge. and i know when i go inland, which is almost never anymore, i'm bored out of my skull unless i'm casting all the time. sometimes fish want a live bait presentation and sitting and waiting is .. well... boring. put out two live bait rigs on the croix and there is never a dull moment even when i'm not catching fish. not only the dnr funds go up but tax revenue goes up. need more tackle to fish two lines hence more money spent hence more tax revenue. even with ten lines you could only keep one limit. i mean really, one line 6 walleye, 100 lines 6 walleye. whats the difference? with two lines a kid can cast and have a bobber out. might actually catch a fish, and want to go again or stay longer than an hour. video games are non stop action and the current laws don't let fishing compete with them. i'd personally be willing to pay double to get three lines. put my new downrigger out with three lines . why not? watch kids at the croix fish on shore and you almost never see them kicking rocks. inland? all the time. every surrounding state has multiple lines. i wonder if they all come to minnesota now because their lakes ran out of fish? doubt it. anyway, what are your thoughts? one last note. if their are those that believe two lines is unethical, then any border fisherman is an unethical fisherman. it is unethical only if it's illegal. fisherman means anyone who fishes... women or men, boy or girl,

Its not the craziest thing I have ever heard of...You make some pretty good points and it might be something to think about.

I think 2 lines w/ lower limits would be great. I would be just fine if I could only keep 4 walleye or sauger.

Originally Posted By: b1gf1sh1
i mean really, one line 6 walleye, 100 lines 6 walleye. whats the difference?

Why not just allow netting for your 6 walleye?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching." What you are advocating is "catching."

first of all thanks for the reply's guys. yeah it's a great idea, but not original. Mr. Al Lindner and company have been trying to get this changed for years. don't really know what his arguements have been but it just gets shot down when he mentions it. about the only arguement for the state that might have merit is the fact that if you have two lines out and you are getting fish you may not stop catching fish when you limit out, even if your just letting them go anyway, thus the possibility of killing more fish. but speaking from experience when the fish are biting that good two lines is not even feaseable. the action gets so fast sometimes i ''have'' to only use one line. i'm just a blue collar guy and i think if Al can't get it done what chance do i have? wish i could. just don't know how. any insights on what to do or who to talk to?

well said black dog

I also believe two lines wouldnt be all that bad it would help big time when you are fishing new waters and trying to figure out what works, structure dephs live bait artificial ect... But more than two would be too many in my opinion

yes advocating catching. netting would be just out side ''ethical'' fishing practices. netting isn't fishing.it's... well, netting. what's wrong with catching fish? if i'm on an inland lake half the day is wasted figuring what the fish want. if i'm alone i can only fish one depth at a time even when i'm sweeping an area by trolling. about the time that depth is found the bites off. but to be ''real'' about it. i get skunked plenty of times on the st. croix even with two lines out alone and four lines out with two guys. so it's never a guaranteed ''catching'' scenario. personally i think the fewer kids getting into the sport will help ''me''. less fisherman on the water. but for the sport and the state getting them in can only help. and a second line i think would help. i fish 2 now on the croix, so it won't hurt ''me'' if it never changes. over the years i've known plenty of fishermen. and i can estimate that at least 50 that i know of don't even buy a minnesota license and just get a wisconsin non-resident(up to three lines) and fish there. those are just the ones i know of. some may buy both i don't know. this action would help bring them home and mabe get a few of theirs here. of course it would mean more pressure here but also more money for the increasingly strapped DNR. with this scenario not even extra fee's for more lines would be needed for extra revenue. i'd still be willing to pay more if it helps this sport.it just makes sense. if i wanted to be selfish about it i'd want it to stay the same. but i have to follow what makes sense for the betterment of this sport and the state as a whole.

2 lines would be real nice...i am uually casting all day and would love to have a bobber in!

North Dakota already allows 2 lines for summer fishing,a nd 4 lines in the winter if I remember correctly.

I think two lines for summer and winter is perfect

Four lines would be to much for me to handle i can tell you that

yes advocating catching. netting would be just out side ''ethical'' fishing practices. netting isn't fishing.it's... well, netting.

But you just said you're advocating catching, not fishing. If you're out to fish, enjoy the lake. have a nice day in the great out-of-doors, you can do that with one rod. If you're out to put fish in the boat, then you should just go all the way and lobby the DNR to permit netting.

black dog. ''it's fishing, not catching'' is just a ''saying'' some fisherman made up to be ''funny''. i'm talking about real life issues here. not some confusious says thing. in ''realife'' catching fish is part of fishing. lets face it if everybody went fishing and never caught anything there would be people going to the lake. not fisherman. and i think i made it clear i would ''benefit'' if it stayed the same. i'm only interested in whats best for the ''future'' of the sport. it's going to get so bad soon without money everybody is going to have to fly fish in your streams cause no money means no stocking. streams will have all the fish. at least for a ''little'' while. and there is a difference in catching and keeping. if you have ever read any of my post i advocate realese. if i keep 6 fish out of 200 i'd be surprised at myself.

kids 16 and under can aready fish for free. The kids just need someone to get them interested.

yes kids under 16 can fish for free. just need to get them interested. this is true. there are very few solutions for doing that though. the main thing that needs to be done first and formost is to make it ''fun'' for a kid. most, and i stress most, kids have a very short window of opportunity to get them interested. kids minds are growing and most love a challenge and all of them enjoy success. wheres the challenge in throwing a line in the water to get a fish. you either reel it or let it sit when you start out. 2 lines their always busy,i.e. changeing bait, takeing weeds off, ... whatever, you know the drill. and there is more chance for much needed success in the beggining to get them fish. my first time out i went with my dad, my very first fish was a 3 pound northern. i was hooked harder than that fish was. my interest was peaked. i was 7. a kid. the more chances we as adults have to get them success the better, and the less boring we can make it even better. if there are better ideas on how to get kids interested i'd love to hear them. the DNR is at a loss right now. they are panicking and trying to figure out ways to get them back into the sport. mabe this won't work, who knows. but i trully believe it will ''help''. outside of outlawing video games i have'nt heard a better solution. dnr still has none.

black dog. ''it's fishing, not catching'' is just a ''saying'' some fisherman made up to be ''funny''. i'm talking about real life issues here. not some confusious says thing.

Here is where we will need to respectfully disagree. I do not at all think that it's a saying some fisherman made up to be funny. I am very serious about fishing, it is a part of my life's blood. Going fishing is about going to the water for the opportunity or sporting chance to catch a fish.

in ''realife'' catching fish is part of fishing.

Yes, catching fish is part of fishing, but for me it is not what fishing is about. For me, Henry David Thoreau says it best: "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

I think California has employed a system like that which you proposed. Their limit is one line, and you can buy a permit with your license to fish a second line (at least that was the case several years back).

C’mon guys, look at the original post from “b1gf1sh1”. Here’s a direct quote from his original post, “problems: dnr is underfunded, kids are not interested in fishing like they were in the past. possible solution: selling extra lines to adults an letting kids under 16 fish more for free. what are some views on this?” He is only proposing an idea. He’s being punished for making suggestions to stimulate our youth and add revenue to our fishing privilege.

I don’t know about everyone else, the cost of our license to hunt/fish for both in-state/outer-state and the other costs including fuel, food, lodging, and other fees continue to go up. The biggest reason is because it’s too expensive and my two children can no longer afford to hunt and fish. They have found other hobbies. I think we are a dying breed. We can argue with each and voice our opinions, but we have not found a solution to the underlying problems. I commend “b1gf1sh1” for trying to bring change.

I've been thinking about this for some time and what I would enjoy is if they made it so that in a Boat, you could have one more line out than legal fisherpersons up to say a total of 4. Then one could have 2, 2 could have 3, and three could have four. Then one guy could troll 2 lines, or park and cast a cork with one for pannies, and keep another one out the back for gators... \:\)

Originally Posted By: blackdog1101
Going fishing is about going to the water for the opportunity or sporting chance to catch a fish.

If this law changed, nobody would force you to use more than one line, heck if you really want a challenge you could use a willow switch some yarn and a safety pin.

The sky will not fall if we are allowed an extra line.

I agree with dtro and I've said it before, one more line isn't going to hurt fishing. If you get on a bite, you will only use one line anyway, I do that in the winter all the time. For me it's more a way to try two differant techniques out to see what is working.

Originally Posted By: blackdog1101
Going fishing is about going to the water for catthe opportunity or sporting chance to catch a fish....

Blackdog1101, I'd say you are advocating catching of fish, too. Have you ever done much summer fishing with two lines? I have been skunked on many outings with two lines(Wisconsin). On the same lake many times I have only been able to handle one pole, because of such a hot bite. Two lines is not the same as netting or dynamiting.

If the bite is hot - you can't use two lines because you likely are not able to keep them both in the water...This happens to me in winter at times and you just have to leave one of the lines on the side and fish with the rig and setup that is working out at the time...

I always laugh when someone talks about how expensive fishing is and how kids would rather play video games. A quick check on Best Buy: X-Box 360 $350-$450, Wii $250, PS3 $400. The popular games are all at least $50 on up. Yea that's cheap fun. A fishing license for a kid under 16 is free, a dozen minnows is a few bucks, hooks and sinkers are a couple of bucks, and a Zebco 33 is about $20. My friends and I used to ride our bikes to the Mississippi River with our cheap fishing rods, a couple hooks, some sinkers and a can of corn. We caught carp all day long and had a blast. Fishing doesn't need to be expensive or difficult. To claim that since fishing can be boring we need two lines to keep kids interested is a very long stretch.

having two lines will definately not help interested kids to get into fishing. They need someone to show them the ropes, get them excited about the sport!

The only reason I'd like 2 lines is because of the amount of casting/fishing I do in the summer. It would just be a nice addition to the day if I could see my bobber dissapear as I am casting away!

I agree all the way with you tisosy. When I was a kid in ND my Dad used two lines, but I just had one. You needed to focus on that. The trick for kids is to get them on a hot bite that they catch big numbers and not huge fish (but that would be a bonus). One pole is enough for them. I would like to to use as said before, one casting, one bobber.

first blackdog. please understand i agree with your views on fishing. in one post here i mentioned getting skunked several times. all those times i still had fun. i understand it. the joke is this '' i went fishing and did'nt get a nibble, i guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching''. i heard this joke from my uncle when i was about 9 years old.(43 now) it's just been changed over the years. but it's fishing not catching still does have merit. in no way do i question your dedication to the sport. as far as 3-500 bucks 50 bucks a game for video games and fishing being cheap. ok. your a kid. dad hands you a zebco worth ten bucks and puts a worm on a hook. thanks dad but no thanks i'll pass. i need a new game though. kids are different these days than in the past in alot of ways, but some things that have'nt changed is there desire for success and bragging rights still helps their ego. put a little hook out and catch little fish to keep it interesting, another hook out with a big minnow and mabe that big bobber goes under and they bring in a big fish. one line out with a big minnow and if it never goes under the whole proccess of getting them into it is pretty much ruined. if little fish are caught on one and that big bobber stays up all day the thought proccess of a kid will be more toward wanting to try that big bobber again. it becomes a challenge. kids love challenge. if they can envision or at least hope for success. failing completely leads to doing something they can succeed at. whether thats video games or tiddly winks. i could go on and on about the benifits. in prior posts i mentioned people going out of state to surrounding states with multiple hooks/lines. it's not rocket science to figure out that the sport of fishing in minnesota is about to be in alot of trouble and this is just one way... i stress ''one way''... to possibly help start getting it leveled off. a few tips for bringing a kid fishing the first time. hireing a guide on a large body of water and getting a big fish is the best way. get him/her fishing equiptment they can be proud of . you know your kids best, get what you'd use because if they hate it you got a new setup.. go by their personality on that. don't keep them out too long if it's slow. if they want to leave leave. they will be more inclined to go again. the ''big show'' technique works nice. you know... big giant lead up for a week, shopping, looking at new boats(don't have to buy it) ice cream on the way to the ''big outing'' or on the way back home. commend them when they get a fish. make it seem it's the biggest deal since they started walking. theres a million things. thanks for the cudo's and for the nay sayers thanks also and i dissagree.

b1gf1sh - I do agree that as adults we need to keep it interesting for kids. My 11 year old son has a lot more fun fishing with my Marcum. Maybe it's sort of the "video game" thing. But when he can see there are fish down there, his interest level stays up even if the bite is slow. He's getting pretty good at working the fish and lifting them to the top so they strike. If we fish without the Marcum then he's not as sure there's fish down there, and the interest level goes down.

The other thing he likes is sight fishing for sunnies. I'll drill 2 holes right next to each other in shallow water, so he can watch down one hole and work the jig in the other hole. He'll do this for hours.

So while I personally don't care for the idea of 2 lines, I would be willing to cooperate with folks like you who are trying new things to get more kids into the sport we enjoy so much.

this(your last blackdog) post is perfect for understanding what kids don't have that most adults ''eventually'' get. that it's fishing that we enjoy. the sights, the sounds, spending time with those close to you. when kids are .. well kids, they (most of them) want to catch fish. through time they become like us. just like that saying a few post ago by you, spending our whole lives not know it's not the fish we pursue. something like that. you said it better. anyway kids alone won't save this sport. money will. and the way the economy is headed we are running out of viable ways to funnel money into our sport. to get we have to give. most can't afford to give without a sense of some kind of return. i believe that the gas prices alone are going to force some of these benedict arnold fishermen back into this state to fish anyway. but not all. mabe outlying suburbs and towns and north and south out 30 miles. but inside that there will more than likely be not much change. stocking programs are already takeing huge hits and have been for years. plces like the croix/sippi/peppin replenish themselves, theres few places like that in the state. soon(within a few years) it's going to really begin to get noticeable that theres no fish. then the old trickle down effect hits even harder. no fish even less interest. even less money. then even less fish, then.... never recover. every single way to get more in so more can go in needs to be utilized now. like i said it's not rocket science if you just look at the signs. and don't forget the businesses that will be affected by this. how many billions of dollars are spent on our sport? drop that to less than half. trickle trickle trickle. lol, i'm done for now.