• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opener traditions!

Ok SW MN, as you may be able to tell, I am getting the itch to hit the open water!! One of my favorite things about opening weekend is tradition. I for the most part have fished with my same group of buddies for 6plus years. As a matter of fact two of us the last 3 years for sure with a different partner also joining us most years. I think I just enjoy being with my buddies in the boat, more than the chance at really getting anythig. But don't get me wrong.... that bonus is always sweet!

What about you? Do you hit the same lake? Do you have the same crew? What is your Minnesota Opener Tradition?

I have been goin with the same guy for many years now. sometimes we have company sometimes not>>>really doesnt matter,we always ahve a great time!

It's funny as heck, but for about a week before opener, my wife and I always say, "not goin to shetek for opener, or not going to sarah, or not going to lake x. etc, etc, etc."

The morning of opener we always get up, look at each other, and say,"Let's go fishing." It's become almost humerous to wait to see which one can hold out the longest. So far, the longest has been about 2 minutes.

About the only Tradition I have is entering the SW MN Fishing Club opening day Contest. I have placed the last 5 years in this contest. Highest place being 6th.

We ussually end up fishing on Sarah, Shetek, West Graham or Okebena.

My tradition for opener is to not go fishing. I detest crowds and besides, I can go any other day of the week that ends with Y.

X I agree completely, but I have too much fun with the guys to pass it up. Lucky you to be to a point in life where everyday could be a fishing day!

I avoid the crowds on opener also, Dont want to get in a huge line of people only for the guy in front to figure out his engine wont start cause he didnt charge his batteries or left his plug out. I just go crappie fishing before bass season anyway.

Did the same exact thing, we hit much the same lake every year, same group of guys, & same time spand (5 years). Kinda tuff keeping it together so this year have to break tradition and start a new one. I'm thinking Kabetogema is a good place to start!

used to hit Cut Foot on opener with brother but now too old to take on the waves and crowds. will start new tradition this year and let daughter pick lake, fingers crossed for plantangentete.

frogtosser, I could not agree with you more, It never fails there are soooooooooo many who don't even try to turn it over before they get to the lake on a busy day and then spend the next 45 minutes wrecking everyone else's day because they have to either wait to load back up or go to another landing!

Theres always room on the shore or dock for guys like me without a boat ;\)

My tradition has been to go out at midnight and fish on the opener and fish until around 3-4am and then go to bed for some quick sleep and then head out to SD to do some fishing. Just my way of avoiding the crowds, but I LOVE the opener in MN. The excitement and anticipation are rivaled only by firearms deer season in my opinion.

So muc a lot of guys tradition for the Opener is to wait to you have your boat sitting in the water to see if the engine is going to start. Not all traditions are good.

I love it when you back down the public ramp to unload your boat, & there is 2 guys out there with 2 chairs , 2 tackle boxes, 2 lunch coolers, 40# test line , 3" bobbers on ,giving you a dirty look while you try to launch your boat in his way, on the public dock that clearly states for loading & unloading boats only. Gotta love the opener.

My tradition dates back about 25 years if not more. I grew up in SW MN but my family has had a camper on Norway Lake in Kandiyohi County for that long. Its a family holiday in my dad's family. Anywhere from 5 to 30 of my uncles, counsins and friends of the family have gathered in the campground every year. Money is always placed on most fish, first fish, biggest fish, etc. A trophy lives in the screen porch with the engraved name of each year's winner along with "The 20 inch Club." Catch (and release of course) a 20" or more and get your name on the trophy for that year. We fish with a self imposed 14 to 20 inch slot. Catch one bigger or smaller and keep it, it doesn't count for the contest. Keep your 20 inch or larger fish and your name doesn't go on the trophy. Not sure if we would be so harsh if that fish were a 30 incher to go on somebody's wall. Always a great time had by all. Hearing that first boat motor rev up and take off while you lay in bed makes you realize somebody beat you onto the water. And the parade begins!!

Always with my dad and we draw the lake from a hat; Winnie, Leech or Mille Lacs. I'm hoping we draw Leech...

Dad and I have been going to Lac Qui Parle for 4 years now.. Before that it was Ottertail... We try and rotate lakes every 5 years or so...