• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

coming up for the first time

Hi, we are getting a group together to head up to Winnie for the first time, we have been going to Red for the last 5 years, but after the crappies kind of dissapeared we want a new lake to take a yearly trip to. My first question is how big are the average perch on Winnie, and do you catch a lot of Walleyes also? And we would stay with High Banks Resort in a sleeper, how are their sleepers? and would you recommend bringing a portable to move around in the daytime? One more question, how is the northern fishing, is it worth setting out a tip up? (I know the season is closed, I mean for next year) Thanks, Shaun

I'd say the average keeper sized perch on Winnie are 9" and up. It's always worth throwing a tip up out in my opinion and smelt are my bait of choice. This year our gators averaged 3-4 lbs and we usually get one over 30" per trip. Walleyes are an early AM or evening bite. Not much of a walleye bite after dark, but the pout come out to play then. I'd definitely have the portables along to keep your options open. If you do a little homework and hole hoping you shouldn't have a problem getting a decent bucket of mixed fish. Everything I've heard about Highbanks is good, they'll set you up fine! An H20 C w/ a Winnie chip is a must, if you want to up your odds of catching fish. Tons of spots to hit!

Brian

everything he said except for the not much of a walleye bite after dark part.

it has been the long standing rule that they quit after dusk.

I can't count how many fish we caught from 8p.m. to 7 a.m. this winter and last.

[PoorWordUsage].

we caught a big number of our fish over 20 inches during that period and one night in particular, my son and I caught near a limit of keepers from 8:26 to 9:00 p.m.

I had one house where the guys said they didn't sleep all night because rattles kept going off.

don't give up after dark!

Sounds like next ice season, I'll have to spend a little more time after dark on the ice and less at the GDP!!! \:D

Brian

Yes there is a good night bite for eyes on Winnie, but if you find them at dusk, you won't need to stay out all night. Then YOU CAN spend more time at GDP!!!!!. This is not a bad thing either.

Last year in july I fished a rock pile till midnight and was still catching walleyes.