• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing line?

gulllakeguy

Question

Well guys I went down to Gander and bought my wife a new rod and reel.(I'm thinking spring) She wanted to try a baitcasting reel so we purchased Ganders Classic. I have always used spincasters so I don't know what brand/test/type of line would be best for her to start out with? I think she would like something thats easy to cast and doesn't have much memory. I was hoping you all could give me some ideas. Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Fireline Crystal. Use whatever the reel recommends. There should be a marking on it with 3 different types, like 10lb/120y, 8lb/140y, 6lb/150y.

Because it sounds like this is your first baitcaster and you'll be learning as you go, I'd suggest starting with mono. Something like Trilene XT or even XL would be a good starting point.

For one thing, it's easier to handle mono than some of the super lines. For another thing, mono is cheaper than the super lines.

Don't be surprised if you get some backlashes and tangles that you need to cut out. That's where the handling and price of mono could really be of benefit to you.

One of the things you should realize about bait casters is they don't work nearly as well with thin diameter line. I'd suggest starting out with something like 14 lb mono, for sure no lighter than 10 lb mono.

If you go with a superline, make sure it has the diameter of 10-14 lb mono --- which would be something like 40-60 lb test line. It sounds like overkill, but if you don't go with that heavy of line you'll have issues with the line cutting into itself on the spool and not wanting to come off.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun with the new reel.

I'll second what Perch said... Buy some cheap 10 lb line and practice casting with that first till you get the hang of it. Then put on whatever you are really going to use... At first make a long cast or.. just pull off a long cast.. then put a wrap of eletrical tape. This way if and when you do backlash.. its only as deep as one cast...

Try trilene XT 12 lb. Don't use any superline's until you've mastered mono's. You might want to start by applying the middle braking on the baitcaster or even the most braking and use a heavy lure. Of course it'll limit your casting distance, but avoiding a backlash and birdnest is less headache. Keep your eye on lure and thumb down to stop spool when lure hits water. In general baitcasters perform better with a lower casting arc. When you finish your cast the rod should practically point level straight in the direction of your cast as opposed to open face spinning outfits and closed face spincasters.

Never new about this line diameter stuff with using Baitcasters. Thanks for the tip.