• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River fishing?

tigerbalm2424

Who hits the rivers for spring fishing in March? Any suggested places to go? What fish do you target? I have only fished the Rum River in Anoka and its covered in Ice right now!

S. St.Paul, put in under the 494 bridge. Excellent big 'eye fishing spring and fall. Only thing is it is a catch and release fishery, so all of the walleye's must go back. Pool 4 if also a good choice. Good luck!

Mississippi River in the Elk River area, is open, and has been open for awhile.

Originally Posted By: rockman
Mississippi River in the Elk River area, is open, and has been open for awhile.

the season is also closed for gamefish in this area!

My buddy was down in Red Wing last weekend. They caught all their fish in front of the [PoorWordUsage], deep hole, walleyes and sauger.

Pool 2 is alot of fun, to catch fish close to home. If you live in the twin cities or northwest. Pool 2 is a catch and release pool only. Check the regs. for more info.

Who posted anything about specifically targeting gamefish? So are you saying I shouldn't fish for anything in that section of river just because walleye,smallmouth bass and northerns are closed? You're kidding me,right? I posted that the river was open in tha area.Nothing more,nothing less.

gamefish? Nahhh... over rated. roughfish all the way!

fat carp on lightweight gear? better than bass any day! *grin*

AS you all know that the fishin near Red Wing gets pretty busy on the weekends. I always take a few days of during the week and head down there, I don't have to fight to get on/off the landings. I like to fish the 494 when possible, there are a few good spots over there, all catch and release, but fun.

I'll be hittin the open water in the next couple of weeks on the WI river, which has open season year round. Checked out the spot I fish first in spring today and she's open and the water level is good, so will definitley try it out soon.

Originally Posted By: rockman
Who posted anything about specifically targeting gamefish? So are you saying I shouldn't fish for anything in that section of river just because walleye,smallmouth bass and northerns are closed? You're kidding me,right? I posted that the river was open in tha area.Nothing more,nothing less.

Settle down there big guy, it was a friendly reminder to people thinking the Mississippi is open all over year round up here, it happens every year! (thats why I put GAMEFISH), I to will be hitting the whiskered fishies as soon as I get my boat ready!

If I had replied to tigerbalm2424 to go ahead and tie on a smallie, or walleye bait, and fish the area by the 101 bridge, I then can understand your reply,with quote,to my post. The question in the original post was about river fishing in general. I have to believe the folks, who at the very least, expend the effort to read a post about river fishing on a internet forum, would take the time to read the current regulations for that section of river before fishing it.If not, well, it's their bad.There's nothing to settle down from, as far as I'm concerned.

It seems like every board I read this time of year has guys getting P.O.'d at each other for silly reasons...It must be the frustration of not getting out and setting hooks that does it to us!

I second the fellow who talked about catching carp...some 8lb test, a M action rod, and a few hundred yards of line, and you are all set!

I would be P.O. too...because sometimes things just seems to turn out like a smart aleck remark eventhough it wasn't the intention.

it's the waiting for the ice to clear the river...sometimes I fish and there's sheets of ice flowing around. annoyance...

S-bob I too fish the river as soon as it opens,sometimes having to reel in because of ice sheets floating down. It really isnt a very productive time to fish, but I am out fishing, thats all that really counts!

I'm ready, the boat's ready. come on open water!

I've been really tempted to get a float tube, just the clear some shoreline ice on the river at some spots. Got my line stuck when fish ran for cover under ice sheets. Lost it...

The river is open in Monticello, and a group of guys were out fishing today, downstream from the public access, near the hospital. Any DNR guys on this site might want to visit this area, because they sure were not trying to catch carp.

Chill guys.......it's all good. Why so on edge?? Maybe we need a campfire to sing Cumbyah.

Originally Posted By: NDSUski
How do you know they were not trying to catch carp?

How many people do you know that fish for carp with a bobber and a shiner? Also even if they say they are trying to catch carp aren't you supposed to switch from what you are using if you keep catching out of season fish?

LOL's I like it when people say they're fishing for crappies in the shallows and are throwing 1/2 oz. tandem willow spinner baits at cattails and bullrushes. Right.....they just pulled five L basses and are still gonna justify that as crappie fishing.

Anyway...one method of catching big carp is with a float and some dough. Worst thing about that is when they're just sucking the dough off the hook, just like little sunnies nibbling away at a work on hook.

I totally understand and agree with you guys about this, but some old guy yelled me at last year in that same area. It was about the same time of year and I understand his concern but I was carp fishing. I was using massive bell sinkers, a medium heavy, and gobs of night crawlers, while letting it sit on the bottom. It just happen that when he stopped by to ask how the fish were biting I caught a smallmouth. At this point he went off about how people my age have no respect and that I should be arrested. Never mind the fact that I was catching redhorse and carp all day, the youth of America are killing the smallmouth bass population.

My earlier comment was made because I was wondering if he had went and talked to the people and saw what they were throwing. If they were casting rapalas we should hang them.

I don’t doubt that people fish illegally down there but lets look at all the facts. And I agree with all of you, it [PoorWordUsage] me off when I am on my favorite musky lake the week before opener and there are people out casting 10-inch baits for northerns.

To pour more gas on the fire, being the fisherman that I am, I walked over and asked, what you guys fishing for?

" We are fishing for smallies, I mean catsfish."

Beware, consruction workers tend to be sportsman, and we do know the # to TIPS.

I think it's quite interesting how all the boards get full this time of year of people who are complaining about people fishing for species out of season. I know that most of us don't really do it, but when you are in a river, it can be pretty tricky when you try to figure out if someone is legitimately fishing for a legal species. I know I've been out with crappie minnows, a UL rod, and a small bobber, and I've caught lots of smallies and walleyes before either were open. I certainly wasn't trying to catch those fish, but the river can be very variable, and different species do mix together more than they do in lakes. I think it can be tough to "pinpoint" a specific species. I guess my point is just that we should give most guys the benefit of the doubt--unless they're throwing rogues or senkos or something. I also know that the responsible thing to do, if one is catching fish out of season, is to change it up so that the non-targeted species are less likely to be caught, but that can be difficult when one is already fishing 4 lb test on a 5' UL rod.

It is absolutely important to protect our waters from illegal activity, but just because someone is fishing for carp or suckers and are catching bass doesn't mean they are doing so intentionally..

Sometimes I think people just want something to "you know what" about!

I am not a river fisherman, but when is a good time to catch carp, sucker, etc?? I have never fished for them, but I have caught a few carp accidentally and they are a blast.

'Carp' fishing this way, well, it's a no brainer what the intent may be of the angler,but fishing for channel catfish is okay to do this way.Cats are primarily minnow eaters,so unless the state of MN legislates that this time of year all an angler can use in this section of river is stink bait,the whole debate is mute.Everyone is entitled to their opinion on fishing during a closed season for one species or another,but if the activity isn't illegal,the arguement is pointless.A CO has to prove intent to make an arrest, or at the minimum write a citation,and this type of 'possible' infraction is hard to prove, not impossible if it is blatant, just harder. Unless the angler in question gives up a confession on the spot to catching a species that is off limits,not much will be done about it.I am an ethical fisherman, and am for ethics on the water,but the suspicious attitude of some towards others who are wetting a line right now gets old.Grab a rod,and go catch some carp or catfish.