• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looper Talk/ Open Water North Shore?

I have read all replies in both of these forums but still have a question regarding the rivers between 2harbors and duluth. I know last year when a made my trips down from ely about this time of year we had some ice break ups in the mouth of the rivers... But when i was down to the rivers last weekend there was no ice break up and it was still locked in pretty solid. Ill be down that way for about a week and a half starting today and was wondering what everyone thinks, will we be fishing the mouths and the first holes on most of the rivers within two weeks??? Just wanted to know about this because i would love to get back in the rivers as soon as possible. I know that the loopers are staging right now but is there any possibility of gettin to them in the next two weeks or do you guys think i should just say the heck with it and concentrate on panfish? Any help is appreciated.

I would say probably not and go get some panfish while they are HOT. Loopers will always be there. We just keep getting cold nights and it looks like more coming. I dont see the rivers opening in the next 2 weeks.

Ill be in search of slabs until the end of the month. Maybe longer this year. crazy.gif

Not a chance, really. Unless we get some really unusual weather.

So is the ice forming far out enough to ice fish or is the shore in some places open enough to cast from shore .I know it can be dicey along the shore so every one be careful and try not to fish alone.Thinking of going this weekend.I was down there monday and it was open enough to fish im curious if it has improved or not.

I stopped up there on Monday as well. I freezed my A off, cuase I didnt have any boots. I didn't think i was going to fish, but once I saw some open water I tried it out. No luck, my friend was on the scenic yesterday and said there is ice but like Josh said there are some open water spots. Sunday morning is looking promising. waxworms or salmon sacks??

has anyone seen what the french looks like? is it castable?

When I was there it was not castable. ICE ICE ICE

I was thinking of trying some river fishing this spring. However, I do not want to be elbow to elbow with guys at any of the rivers. Are these rivers any good if you go way up stream? Do a lot of people go upstream?

Depends on the river and where the impassable barriers are. Some rivers don't see near the crowds especially if you head up the shore abit.

Did the nice weather today change the condition of the ice along the shore or are we going to have to wait awhile for that open water?

It looks like we're going to have to wait for awhile......it's locked up pretty well......

a dozen or so house off 21st yesterday.....Lester had opened up a bit at the mouth this morning, but there was a lot of shelf ice being pushed up 30 yards off shore. People were venturing out off of Scenic 61 and from my office right now, it looks like this...........

000_0001-3.jpg

000_0002-2.jpg

000_0003-2.jpg

where is your office ? i got 5 coho and 2 white fish on sat at 21st. sun i got 2 coho and 7 white fish. whats it like at the french today?

Didn't go by the French on my way up, I was running a little late. I'll swing by and check it on my way home though. My office is at the Grand Superior Lodge, about 10 miles north of Two Harbors

as of now the french is locked up. People are fishing, but not catching anything.

Lot of water and bergs around out my front door, 6 miles north of lester. Its not safe.

thanks for all the reports. wish i lived on the lake.would like to get my boat out for some deepwater jigging this week.

Any ice reports??? I'll be out fri and sat for sure. Just wondering if there's any open water as of thursday (today) anywhere.

The north shore is fishable, but there is a lot of ice floating around that can get quite frustrating. That was yesterday afternoon's conditions anyways, the NW wind we've got going now could have cleared some of the ice out.