• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Carlos Gomez -- Get to know them?1?

Dahitman44

This kid is Cocky -- you have to love his attitude.

This was in the Pioneer-Press

""Sure!" he said the other day. "They don't have no speed like me. I know I can help this team. Especially when I hit ahead of Morneau and the catcher and the other guy."

I mentioned that the catcher's name is Joe Mauer. Gomez nodded. He isn't real big on details, but he doesn't lack confidence."

Funny stuff. I think he could be "pretty good" as Gardy likes to say. ;\)

the problem with gomez is outside of a dropped 3rd strike you can't "steal" first.

It sounds like Pridie is looking pretty solid and that Gomez might start in Rochester. The Twins will be sending guys to the minor league camp pretty soon and we'll see who's really in contention.

He looked like he needs a little time in Rochester yesterday against the Yanks, IMHO. I think he has a lot of upside and he seems blazing fast, but the fundamentals don't seem solid. Like launching a throw to the plate, completely forgetting about possible cut-off men. It will just take a little time in the Twins system and he could be a solid player. Hopefully, not a CF version of Christian Guzman, all the speed in the world if he could just get on base to use it.

Watching Melky Cabrera play center for NY just makes me wish the Twins could have found someway to make that deal for him for Santana.

Bush --

He could use some seasoning -- no question about it. Knowing the guy's names would be a plus as well. ;\)

I can't get all of the love about Melky -- i think he is, at best an above average fielder and a below average hitter who has hit his ceiling, IMO

It is good to have confidence and all that jazz, but he is making himself sound stupid and a little too cocky in those statements IMO.

He doesn't know who Joe Mauer is eh?

It is fine to be confident and cocky, but please do something other than stink up the place before you start running your mouth. He really hasn't put up very good numbers anywhere throughout his career so it would be nice if he did that first before yapping the way he is.

I am assuming his play, coupled with that cocky attitude on a player that is not very good yet, is making the Twins decision on him fairly easy.

AAA.

Yeah that catcher and that pitcher and that outfield, does this team have a 1st baseman...

I hear you -- but I will bet he is still odds-on favorite. This won't help but I guess he is a really nice kid, just a little cocky and overly excited.

He does not "look" at a lot of pitches and that will hurt him IMO.

Yeah - I think hes the guy too...but i could see a revolving door out there a bit early on as well...

I want him to be the man out there too, but if he is not ready, he is not ready.

I want to see what he can do, as he is supposed to be a "5 tool" prospect.

Can you imagine what the top of our order would be like if he and Casilla ever figure it out and get on base? They could set records on the basepaths.

I see Denard Span starting in Center.....I watched that yankees twins game yesterday and Ive already had it with gomez...I would have rather had santana for one more year and got nothing than that punk.

What was he 0-5 at the plate and miffed like 3 plays out in the feild.

Anybody remember Willie Banks? He of the "I can finesse you or I can blow you away" quote? That was one of my all-time favorites.

I agree he ought to do something before he starts talking but hey, a lot of these kids have been told they're golden since they've been twelve years old. The attitude just comes with that in a lot of cases.

Give the kid some time - he can't be Torri or Kirby overnight or maybe ever.

And yes, Casilla and Gomez would be a blaze!!

Originally Posted By: tisosy11

And yes, Casilla and Gomez would be a blaze!!

The fastest Twins duo since Guzman and Rivas!!!

To bad they will never get on base to use that speed unless they are put in as a pinch runner

I think he needs to start in the miners to get everyday at bats. If he does well can always bring him up during the season. Will great to watch in a couple years.

I have no problem with him starting in the minors as long as he was beat out by someone that is better then him, and he plays regularly. I just dont want him sitting on our bench backing someone else up, or using him for pinch running. He needs to play to get better.

You sure it wasn't Brendan Harris you were thinking of that was blowing three fielding plays -- ish.

The Twins have a pretty good history of starting kids like him, then sending them down. Seems to humble them a bit.

thats true, but, i think it makes them a better player, becuase they have had the taste of the big show, and by going back down to get better, they know what its like playing up there