• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2008 NFL DRAFT

tisosy11

The first wave of free agency is coming to an end...there will still be signings but the next big thing in the NFL (probably when Favre plans to renig on his retirement) is the NFL DRAFT.

The vikings have the following picks as of today (my choice at selection):

ROUND 1: 17th DE Derick Harvey

ROUND 2: 16th WR Limas Sweed

ROUND 3a: 10th QB Colt Brennan

ROUND 3b: 19th OT Tony Hills

ROUND 4: 18th DT Nick Hayden

ROUND 5: 17th TE John Carlson

ROUND 6a: 16th OC John Sullivan

ROUND 6b: 27th DT Maurice Murray

ROUND 7: 2nd LB Chase Ortiz

What do you guys think will happen with these picks?

I like Harvey with our #1, but I dont think Sweed will be there for our #2. The rest is a krap shoot.

Yeah, I've seen sweed anywhere from like 15 to 55 depending on the source...I do like his big body, but i don't know about him as a first rounder

We only have one 6th round pick. We have two 7th rounders.

Colt Brennan won't get picked until the 5th.

I'm a little scared of the D-ends in the first round. Doesn't seem as if any of them play up to their potential. Harvey and Campbell should have dominated but didn't. Harvey is huge for a de and Campbell is a beast physically. Their production just hasn't been that great. However, a big contract can inspire almost anyone. I like Harvey better than Campbell so I could live with him in the first.

If Sweed is there in the second it would be a miracle. He'll be gone by #25 in the first.

Tony Hills would be a great pick, but he has an injury where his foot goes dead on him when he puts a lot of pressure on it. I don't know if he'll last in the NFL. If he can overcome this injury I'd like to see him in purple.

Carlson is kind of over rated due to his lack of speed. 4.95 40 at the combine. He does have nice hands and is a good blocker. So not a bad pick in the fifth.

Sullivan would be a nice pick up.

Nice Mock Draft...but realistically I doubt Harvey will be at 17 and Sweed will be off in the 1st round but we can only hope ya know. Brennen will be there later in rounds 5-7 or a 2nd day pick, I'd rather us fill other needs in the 3rd round with those 2 picks. Getting 4 picks in the top 85 of the draft is something special so we should use them wisely to build depth and take best overall player available. Kinda like we did with Marcus McCauley who fell to us last year in the 3rd round. I also like the pick we did with the DE from Texas. So i guess if I had to do a mock I'd say for players wise:

1st round: Harvey DE, Campbell DE, Phillips Safety, Jackson WR, or Sweed WR.

2nd round: go DT or OL or Michael Rucker TE

3rd round: If we don't resign Ferguson, draft WR here and Safety

4th round: OL or DL

5th round: BPA

6th round: BPA

7th round: BPA

Side Note: It really blows my mind that John Carlson (all star football and basketball player at Litchfield) and Trevor Laws (2 time state champ at Heavyweight for wrestling and all star football at Apple Valley) are in the draft and will be playing in the NFL for a year or 2. I grew up with these guys, even though I didn't participate against neither in football or wrestling but thats just crazy to me they made that far! crazy.gif

how do we have 2 sevens?

we traded our 7th to the jets for bollinger i think...

we received a second 6th for T-will...

I could be mistaken..but fill me in if i am wrong???

I played against the Carlson boys...more against spaeth from st michael...its weird the guys that come from around here

Originally Posted By: tisosy11
how do we have 2 sevens?

we traded our 7th to the jets for bollinger i think...

we received a second 6th for T-will...

I could be mistaken..but fill me in if i am wrong???

vikes got a 7th for adam goldberg from the rams.

the vikes have 10 draft picks. some later picks should be bundled together to try to move back into the better rounds

Yes, but i thought they lost a 7th for mr brooks bollinger?

we have alot of picks this yr...thats one of the main reasons i wouldn't be against us trading a 1st or 2nd pick for a superstar in a position we need....we could do that and still use our other picks to move up and still get quality players and depth.

I would rather have less picked players that were better...than losing a Thigpen or Blue because we didn't have room on our roster...

If DeAngelo hall is available for the 48th pick in the draft. I saw do it for sure.

If Jared Allen is available for 3rd rounder this year and 1st next year. I saw do that as well.

I've always read we traded our sixth for Bollinger. Now we picked up the Jags sixth rounder. We got an extra seventh rounder for trading Goldberg to the Rams. I'm trying to confirm the Bollinger deal. I could be wrong. Again!

everything i've heard has us with two 6ers and 1 seven...the rams seven

I played against the Carlson boys...more against spaeth from st michael...its weird the guys that come from around here

Tisosy where did go to high school and what year did u graduate? I went to Foley HS and we played STMA and Spaeth to go to state my junior year in 01 for football. Spaeth graduated the same year as me...I never got to see Carlson play football but my cousins from Minnewaska played Litchfield alot in football and I worked with a guy who played with Carlson on the football and basketball team at Litchfield so you kinda feel close. Trevor Laws I never wrestled thank god, but I saw him at state alot and would destroy heavyweights with his quickness. Both really awsome athletes.

Watertown - graduated in 01...think spaeth graduated in 02? Never played football...

Oh ok, my roomate in college went to Watertown-Mayer. Ya Spaeth graduated in 02, is he still playing? I thought he got drafted by the Steelers, but I might be wrong?

Vikes trade for Jason Taylor for 2nd, 4th rounder picks count on it! Last resort...

Is Matt Spaeth related to the car dealer Chuck Spaeth? I have always wondered that

bluegill, matt spaeth is still playing for the steelers. he caught a few TD's last year and he was just in town a couple of weeks ago.

• 1 month later...

One of the things I never understood is since most 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders never even make the team, why dont you use them to trade up more? Even if it would be just a few picks in the 3rd or 4th round.

There is a tremendous amount of off. and def. lineman in this league that are drafted in the later rounds each year--depth on the roster and lower salaries keeps these guys in the league longer than you may think.

O lineman will be out first pick with addition of Jared Allen.

Nab a LB and a Safety in there somewhere