• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What age to take a daughter hunting?

What is the youngest age you would bring your son, daughter, niece, or nephew, etc...into the duck blind with you? I didn't hunt birds until I was older, so kinda wondering what a good age would be. My daughter will be 6 yrs old once the 2008 hunting season is here. She asks many questions, (like many kids like to do,) on how her puppy Gunner is doing, how many birds did we see, was it cold, hot, and maybe most importantly, "when can I come?". I want to show her first hand, on a nice hunting day, what it is all about. I believe she is old enough, and interested enough, otherwise she wouldn't be asking me the questions, right?. I wanted to take her this 2007 season, but couldn't find a 'nice' day I thought would work for her. I've slowly been invensting in waterproof camo clothing for her..Looking for thoughts or comments.

Not having any kids of my own really dont know the answer but my uncle took his grandson out deer hunting this year and he was 7. He did really well for about an hour and a half and the final hour before sunset he started to figit. Fortunately my uncle had a doe come out and was able to shoot it with him present. The nice thing about duck hunting it allows them to run around a little without disrupting the whole hunt. I'd take her out next year and if she scares off some birds they are just birds and not a big deal, kind of like bringing a new pup in the blind you cant expect them to do everything perfect.

I have an 11 year old Grandson who I have taken duck and grouse hunting, and all types of fishing. Also target shooting.

First thing that is all important - they are (usually) bored if they are not shooting. Beebee guns, pellet gun, .22 it doesn't matter. Be they shooting decoys, targets, at coots, whatever (edit: using bb gun, not .22 or pellet gun). I would suggest your first trip be like what I did with Shawn, a grouse hunting (actually walking through the woods, ha!). He was about 6. Bring her grouse hunting and let her carry an unloaded bb gun. Then stop every now and then and let her shoot trees or cans or whatever. Keep the day(s) short in warm weather.

Shawn will be 11 this year, so he can shoot for real after firearms safety. He told me that he didn't really want to come along this past year because he couldn't shoot. I understand that young kids need to learn too, but I remember when I was young and "just going along" wasn't that fun unless i had a gun.

Have fun though, it will be the best times you can imagine!

I think it depends on the kid. If she seems interested I would go for it, especially on a nice day.

If she's showing interest, I'd get her out there. Like you said, pick your day and make sure she's comfortable and has something to do in case boredom sets in. One of my big problems taking my kids out is their feet getting cold....toe warmers have been a life saver on more than 1 occassion.

Good luck and have fun!!! We need to recruite as many youngsters as we can into the great outdoors!!

Brian

Those are some great tips. I've heard of a lot of people doing the BB gun thing. Make it a short day to start, not a full day in the blind, but a morning or something. Give her a place to lay if she wants to take a nap. Burlap camo is great for this with some other stuff to lay on. Make sure its early in the year so its not so cold. Bring tons of snacks and food. Make sure she gets to see what its like when the marsh wakes up, all the activity and 'other' birds, the ducks coming in, geese honking...Let her try some of your calls. If you're using her puppy that will keep her busy. Have a backup plan if all else fails, like a game boy or something.

The beauty is you'll know if she's ready after that first trip. You can always wait another year or two, or if she digs it keep it going.

I started my daughter at 6, she was a natural tom boy early, early October hunts were great, get her out 2-3 times the first years. My son is 3 years younger so when they were 6 and 9 they were a natural pair to tag along. I did a lot of afternoon hunts in those days. Helps if you can go with an uncle or relative the kids respect so they will behave more.

Now my daughter is 27, she is a great duck hunting buddy for me and my son. She lives for that 'special noise" duck wings make when ducks drop out of the sky. It is a big deal you get her out while she is still quite young, I have friends who waited until their daughters were 9-10, too late, by then they are usually "little girls', and are harder to be brought over to the wild side.

Thanks for all the points and tips...I'm well aware of the attention span in young'ins...She loves to ice fish, and when the times are slow...The portable DVD player and Potato chips is her's (& mine) lifesaver, thus buying us more time in the fishouse. I will apply some of these tricks because I know I will have my hands full the first time I go out, with a 2nd year pup at my side too.

She knows the "noises" of wings and can hear geese coming for miles. When going for walks with my wife, she will stop dead in her tracks, turn back to me and say, 'Did you hear that?". We listen...Ask mom the same thing...If she hears the geese way off in the distant or ducks wings buzzing. She shakes her head, with that look on her face, most obsessed waterfowl hunter husbands are used to getting! I hate wishing time away, but I'm wishing fall was here again!

I started taking my kids while field hunting geese in the afternoons. It was light, warmer, and they could run around a bit until the birds started flying. They were probably 6 and 9.

My son started deer hunting with me when he was 7-8. A little tough to sit still early on, but he hangs out in the stand all day with me. He passes the time playing with the binocs and asking a million questions. He has one more year until he can hunt himself. We both love the quality time together. Ditto on the toe warmers......

I took my daughter early goose hunting when she was 4 and she loved it, she asks when we can go goose hunting about once a week.

not to highjack the thread; but how do i get my 25 year old GIRLFRIEND in the blind with me!??? my sister is 14 now; shes been out once or twice a fall with me since she was 10. she hates walking in waders, but loves watching the birds work, seeing out of range birds swimming around, the occasional muskrat or other animals that roam through the sloughs. took her deer hunting for the first time this fall; we didnt have any come through that morning and she didnt enjoy the wind in her face but says shes going every year from now on. now if i can just use her to convince the girlfriend....

My wife loves grouse hunting, but hates even the thought of duck hunting. She hates sitting still. I haven't brought her pheasant hunting, but I bet it would work.

Ask her what type of hunting she might like to do, then do it ona nice sunny and warm day. Then work it up to a good ol' duck hunt after she warms to the idea.

Good luck! I wish my wife would duck hunt with me, but the one time I took her goose hunting, in pits, in the early morning she hated it. ha! \:\)

my dad started taking me out duck hunting when i was 6 years old. my first year he said i got to learn some things first before i get to shoot a gun. When i turned 7 he bought me a single shot 20 gague that he let me use when we went out. when i turend 10 i was up graded to a 20 gauge 870 express, and once i got my gun safty at 12 he bought a new 12 gauge and i got his old 12 gauge. I am extreamly happy he introduced me into the out doors because i would not no what else could be more exciting to do in the fall then sitting on a stump behind a set of decoys