• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MLB Stadiums

DonBo

Sort of got into this in the entertainment forum, thought it might be fun.

Which stadiums have you been to? Which were your favorites? Why?

My wife and I try to see a new ballpark every year. So far we have been to in no particular order:

Metrodome (worst park we've seen, only redeeming value? Our MN Twins!)

Jacob's Field in Cleveland (nice park, gotta see the Rock & Roll HOF and Alice Cooper'stown)

Detroit (nice park, scary part of town)

Both Chicago parks (liked the north side better, take the tour, great history!)

Milwaukee (you know you won't be rained out, the park is beautiful and the tailgating is the best anywhere)

St. Louis (one of my favs, supposedly similar to our new park)

Kansas City (nice but we always go in Aug. and it is HOT! This trip is always great cause we try a new BBQ joint every time)

San Diego, Jack Murphy Stadium (beautiful town, guess we'll have to go back and see the new PetCo Park)

My favorite: SafeCo in Seattle (beautiful stadium, never a rain out, best ballpark food, beautiful area with outdoor opportunities galore)

So, there is my list. We hope to add Denver this summer.

Lets hear where you have been, and let me know which parks we need to add to our "must see" stadiums.

Metrodome: Stinks as a baseball venue. Only redeeming factor is that I could go to a game before fishing season and knew I'd get to see that game.

Metropolitan Stadium: Great small major league park. Funny to think the first couple of times I went our parents made us wear dress shoes and shirts with a tie. Ticked us off that other kids could dress more casually. Great memories like helping Grandpa mix his drinks in the stands. Getting to see local guy, Dave Goltz, pitch in person. Getting a dirty look form Bombo Rivera when asking for his autograph. Took years to figure out he spoke no English and probably didn't understand me. Seeing a real scheduled double header against Oakland in the mid-70's.

Have only seen the dome. (and some minor league fields). Am going with the wife and another couple to San Francisco in May. Am planning on taking in a Giants game at ?(AT&T park) I think that is what it is called now.

Originally Posted By: jigging-matt
Am going with the wife and another couple to San Francisco in May. Am planning on taking in a Giants game at ?(AT&T park) I think that is what it is called now.

This is supposed to be a beautiful park. Hope you enjoy it.

I have been to the dome...whoopty dooo!!!

I have also been to Bank One ballpark(?) in Arizona....awesome ballpark always a nice day to watch a game with the retractable roof.....I have been in this stadium a few times (once to see the twins/diamondbacks game) and every time this stadium impresses me!!

Ok - I don't know - I love the metrodome...Football is great Baseball is alright. Maybe I like it so much because I grew up with it. 87 and 91 world series, caught a homerun and threw it back! The memories.

My list (in no particular order):

Metrodome (5-10 games a year)

Miller Park (at least 1 time a year since it opened)

Wrigley Field (once)

Fulton County (1990ish)

Busch Stadium (middle one)

Kaufman Stadium (1989ish)

Fox Cities Stadium (couple times)

This summer:

US Cellular

Tiger Stadium

Metrodome-- time for a change

Both Chicago Parks---Likes cubs better

Jacobs Field-- Awesome park

Turner Field--Grat Park as well(people are awesome for baseball game)

Milwa---One of the best fields i was at, cuase they served high life on tap, plus your right on the field

I've been to quite a few parks, and during my time in CO a group of us talked about hitting every park (while fishing accross the US) during the 6 weeks our restaurant was closed. We decided to just go to Key West and Mexico instead grin.gif

In no particular order:

Fenway (my all time favorite as I visited it with my grandpas and dad for years)

Old County Stadium (great tailgating)

Miller Park (very cool stadium)

Detroit (sat in the Stroh's Suite) grin.gif

Wrigley (loved it for it's "old-time" feel

Metrodome (my fiances a HUGE Twins fan so we go when the Red Sox are in town)

Coors Field (amazing view of the mountains from the bleachers)

Turner Field (not bad)

I'm looking forward to our move to Bloomington in September so we can take in more Twins games and will be closer to Milwaukee and Chicago.

Quote:
We hope to add Denver this summer.

DonBo, not sure if you go for good seats or just the park, but I strongly suggest you sit on the "rock pile" (bleachers) so you can see the sun set over the mountains. It does get fairly warm sitting there, but there is a bar/restaurant directly behind the seats where you can cool off. Only problem I had with the stadium is they only serve Coors (also known as I-70 runoff) grin.gif

I've been to the dome and camden yards. How do you even compare. grin.gif My brother and I are trying to plan a trip to milwaukee this june to take in a Twins game

metrome: 5-10 games a year, biased cause we are twins fans, but cant wait for the new one to get done

wrigley: try to get atleast one day and one night game a year. lots of stuff to do on the outside, easy to get there on the train. love the atmosphere and history of it

us cellular: bad neighborhood, nothing to do on the outside, you can get there from the train which is a plus. newer updates make the park look nice, but nothing great to say about this park.

St Louis: great new stadium. I really like the patios and open balcony's, it lets you walk around some and view the game from different parts of the park. fans are great and the place is always full. not much to really do on the outside of the park though.

Milwaukee: awesome stadium, no matter how high up you are you can still see great. great fans to watch a game with. The tailgating before hand is just unreal and a blast to take part in even if you are not a brewers fan.

Originally Posted By: shiner2367
but I strongly suggest you sit on the "rock pile" (bleachers) so you can see the sun set over the mountains. It does get fairly warm sitting there, but there is a bar/restaurant directly behind the seats where you can cool off

Thanks for the input Shiner...always good to have first hand knowledge going into a new stadium.

Originally Posted By: icehole10
I've been to the dome and camden yards. How do you even compare. grin.gif My brother and I are trying to plan a trip to milwaukee this june to take in a Twins game

Camden Yards is supposed to be among the nicest.

You'll enjoy Milwaukee. Be sure to plan on tailgating. Get your tickets early, there are tons of Twins fans there.

GO TO MILWAUKEE

I've been to 2-3 games there every year since it opened.

I am a twins fan first, brewers fan after that. Love going down for the twins series as well as any other game if I am in the area.

The tailgating is out of this world. You have no idea what to expect if you havn't been to a tailgate. There are massive lines getting into the parking lot 3 hours before the game starts and the lots fill up instantly!!!

Main reason i'm not happy with twins and vikigns stadium decisions to go downtown is because of lack of space for tailgating...

camden yards is an awesome place to watch a game. I have a cousin who moved out to Baltimore and the company that her husband works for has season ticket for the orioles and redskins. So saturday we went to a baseball game and on sunday we went to fedex for a skins and giants game. How does a guy top that? :).

As far as the trip to milwaukee, my brother has been working on the details so I can only hope it works out. We are actually thinking of taking the train. The only obstacle I have is that it is my 10 year aniversary on the 20th of june.

We are actually thinking of taking the train. The only obstacle I have is that it is my 10 year aniversary on the 20th of june.

The Twins are in Milwaukee June, 13-14-15 so the anniversary should be no problem. It's only about a 5 hour drive. You won't save much by taking AMTRAK and the taigaiting will suffer with no tailgate. grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DonBo

It's only about a 5 hour drive. You won't save much by taking AMTRAK and the taigaiting will suffer with no tailgate. grin.gif

From where I live it is almost a ten hour drive and we figured it would be an experience. The other plus is the drink car!

camden yards is an awesome place to watch a game. I have a cousin who moved out to Baltimore and the company that her husband works for has season ticket for the orioles and redskins. So saturday we went to a baseball game and on sunday we went to fedex for a skins and giants game. How does a guy top that? :).

As far as the trip to milwaukee, my brother has been working on the details so I can only hope it works out. We are actually thinking of taking the train. The only obstacle I have is that it is my 10 year aniversary on the 20th of june.

I can top that- a few years ago when living in Kansas City- a Twins vs Royals game at Kauffman, then a Vikes vs Chiefs preseason game at Arrowhead in the same afternoon. It was easily 100 degrees out that day, and we got to see Royals catcher at the time Mike DeFelice get tossed arguing a play at the plate. He then went into the dugout and threw out the Gatorade jugs onto the field, along with some bats. Pretty good day i have to say!!

oh boy, i beat that was a great time. If funny to see some of them guys go to that extreme, but i bet they look at it after, and wonder why the heck they did that

Originally Posted By: zamboni
I can top that- a few years ago when living in Kansas City- a Twins vs Royals game at Kauffman, then a Vikes vs Chiefs preseason game at Arrowhead in the same afternoon. It was easily 100 degrees out that day, and we got to see Royals catcher at the time Mike DeFelice get tossed arguing a play at the plate. He then went into the dugout and threw out the Gatorade jugs onto the field, along with some bats. Pretty good day i have to say!!

We were there that day also. I remember Eddie Guardado spraying the fans around the bull pen with a garden hose it was so hot.

Donbo- my old roomate drove down from St Paul and went with me. I told him I thought DiFelice did it on purpose so he didn't have to play in the heat, and he agreed. It was miserable that day

Dome-enough said

Miller Park- always a good time

Wrigley- fun to watch an afternoon game

Safeco- very nice and you're in Seattle

Yankee Stadium- 13 guys went to NY for a bachelor party, Labor Day weekend 2 years ago. The history alone was incredible, but watching the Twins stomp the Yanks was priceless. And having Bert circle the bachelor as the fan of the game topped things off nicely.

Very nice - was this pre 100 scratch offs? I can't remember if they do they do that on the road

Dome-nough said

Both Chicago Stadiums-Wrigley hands down, the history alone

Milwaukee- Great place

Cleveland-Another great ballpark

Yankee Stadium- What can you say, the history is unreal and the fans know the game.

Fenway-One of my favorites but you can't get over how small it is.

Camden Yards-Another of my favorites, great seats all around

Tropicana Field (Tampa Bay)- Metrodome of the south.

St. Louis, both old and new- Love them both, the old for the traditions, the new is just nice. Always packed.

Petco Park - Another fun stadium

Dodgers Stadium- Old, but fun

Oakland- One of the worst on the planet and not a good neighborhood.

San Fran both old and new- The new is a great place, the old was not a good place for baseball, fun for football though.

Seattle -Love it, brought Bud Selig out for opening day of the stadium.

Coors Field- Enjoyable good atmosphere.

Cincinnati Great American Ballpark - Fun place, good views, on the river location. Have to cross river for some action though on the KY side.

I've been to many of the spring training sites in both Florida and Arizona. For me these are more fun than the Big stadiums, you get close to the players and its fun watching work outs.

Been to more minor league parks than I can count, always a fun time at these. The price is right and the smaller stadiums keep you close to the action.

I am probably missing a few in there, these are the most recent I can recall.

Wow Dan, thats a nice list. There certainly are several there I would like to see.

I agree about the Minor Leage Parks. We've been to a few and they are always fun.

Saw the Beloit Snappers last year. My wife got a picture of her with "Snappy" their mascot as he signed his bobblehead, made her day!

Town team baseball. Watertown has a stadium about a block from my house. Also a nice place to kill some time on a summer evening. Especially with buddies on the team!

Sec Taylor where the Iowa Cubs play isn't a great stadium but the location in Des Moines is nice.

We used hit pre-lights Wrigley and old Comiskey when the Twins were on the road. County Stadium in Milwaukee was a nice place to watch, too. Every seat in KC is good but I haven't been out of state for a long time.