• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

good 22LR?

Trany

If you like bolt actions, and want a good shooting cheap rifle. Got to Walmart and buy the Savage 22lr with the accu trigger. I have 2 of themand they shoot great. Thwey only have 5 or 7 shot clips. Can't beat them for the price. I have the black stocks on mine. Kids can't destroy them very fast. CAJ

Has anyone tried that Savage bolt-action with the thumbhole stock and stainless steel finish? I was playing around with one in Gander last week and almost walked out with one! Jr. decided he needed a 12 gauge, so we left with a Stoeger Condor instead...

So many guns, so little money! I am seriously thinking about that Savage (it just looks cool), and would appreciate any first-hand input.

I have had phenomenal luck with my bolt-action Marlin in .22 Mag, and the price of those guns has always been right. Mine will shoot almost the same hole at 100 yards out of a cold barrel. Heated up, it still keeps 5 shots within 1/2 inch.

I have the thumbhole savage bolt action in 17hmr with a blue bull barrel. It is heavy but that accutrigger is awesome. I can shoot the 20 gr. hornady's with 4 out of 5 touching at 5 yards, the 5th one is always a little off becuase I know what kind of group I have....Dicks carries them for 300 with 3-9 simmons scope.........price is the same I believe for 22lr so if you want a 22lr, that is a choice, but the 17hmr is a great gun.

Hmm... 4 out of 5 touching at 5 yards huh Picks. You're really going the distance with that gun.. Jk I'm assuming you meant 50 yrds.

I have Remingtons 597 and have been pretty happy with it.

aaawwwwwwwww crud.....I have really long arms so I can just reach out there and poke the barrel through the target....Yes I meant 50 yards.

i'm gonna have to agree with peder, and 2nd that answer. ruger 10/22. mine is accurate, looks great with the laminate white wood. good gun all around.

10/22'S are rock solid guns & there are tons of aftermarket options if you ever wanted to spice things up.

I second the ruger 10/22. I just plain beat on mine and she still shoots great. Great little gun.

Also got a marlin 22 mag bolt that is a nice little rifle.

I would also say the ruger 10/22, I got mine for christmas when

I was 8 yrs old 34 yrs ago and mine son's shoot the heck out if

it still, most reliable gun i have owned. Doesn't need alot of cleaning and never had to replace any parts. I also have

the .17 hmr savage with the heavy barrel with thumb hole in it.

I like everything but the clips for it, but a good shooting gun.

Ditto on the 10/22, I've had mine for um ah 22 years and it's still as reliable as when I first got it. Even with a little neglect in my youth. I like having high capacity clips available too. Really fun for just a day of plinking. Saves a lot of reloading time. When it comes to a 22LR, I wouldn't buy anything else JMO.

Okay, I have 3 22's, a 10/22, you can't beat it with a stick, reliable and just a blast to shoot, a 22 Beretta NEOS pistol, just as fun to shoot, and an old winchester model 270 pump .22.

The winchester is the most accurate one I have, and It has open sights. BUT, I love that accutrigger on my 17hmr. I

f you are looking for a blasting gun, go with the 10/22, if you are looking for accurate grouping, 10/22 or a savage with the accutrigger and the thumbhole stock. If you are looking at taking shots at more than 50 yards, go with the savage in a 17 hmr with the thumbhole stock and aim for the vermin's head, body shot are messy with those little bullets......

Anyone here have the remington 527? they sure do look pretty

I do second the clips on the savage 17hmr's, they can be a pain, and you only get one, 5 shot clip

I don't recall the 527 right off hand - how about the old Nylon 66? I still like that one! Do many people have experience with those? Are they hard to find nowadays?

I know the 10/22 is a solid choice.

10/22 is a great reliable one, I have an old pump remington from my grandpa, not sure of the model number, but old, and then a couple of the Remington models with the nylon stocks and butts...all have worked great....

I've got a Ruger M77/22 bolt action w/ synthetic stock that I really like. My buddy has a .17 hmr bolt action and that thing is a tack driver, no doubt. Decisions, decisions!!! LOL

Brian

Earlu Riser IF YOU HAVE A nYLON 66 rEMINGTON IN GOOD SHAPE, THEY ARE HIGHLY COLLECTABLE Don't sell those until you check the market. Any Rugers out of the box for me have been very good. The 17 is amazing. CAJ

I have one Nylon 66 that I bought over 25 years ago. It has been a reliable and light weight plinker and game getter. I wasn't sure how collectable they had become. I heard they are held in high esteem by trappers and commercial fishing folks in parts of Alaska.

ive got one 10/22, a marlin tube fed semi, a marlin clip fed semi, and a beautiful marlin lever action 39A(?). i love shooting all of them. i beat the [PoorWordUsage] out of my ruger, still runs like a dream, all the marlins are pretty much squirrel guns and can plinkers. i think for a pure fun factor the coolest .22 ive seen is the browning buckmark bull barrel carbine. i want one of those so bad.

I own nine .22's and my 10/22 that I bought in 1966 has seen the most use. My 1890 and 1906 Winchesters are semi-retired. When I need accuracy, my old Winchester Model 75 target rifle sure is fun. But if I had to bet the farm on one that would keep going, it would be the 10/22.

• 2 weeks later...

Ihave know many 10/22 owners and it comes down to fact its the one to get. Just get the no thrill birch stock its the low end.you will be happy with it.

• 2 months later...

The two 22's that I own are both rugers, a 10/22 that has seen about 300,000 rounds without a thorough cleaning, and a 77/22 which I take very good care of. The 10/22 is starting to loose it's edge a little, it doesn't eject as fast as it use to and if you fire off the entire 50 rd clip as fast as you can it'll jam once in a while, but all in all it's been a great gun. The 77/22 is awesome, I have it paired w/ a leupold 4x and have taken the head off many a grouse and squirrel with it. Other than my 25-06 the 77/22 is my favorite gun to shoot.

I've got a hand me down Ted Williams .22

Simply amazing, 14 rounds capacity Just cleaned it after 20 years...no lie It has been fun shootin it.

• 3 months later...

A "plain jane" Nylon 66 run around $300 in excellent shape.

The less common models sell for upwards of $600-$700 in like new condition. The less common models would be the Black Diamond stocked model, the Chrome barreled model, the Bicentennial model from 1976 etc.

You stock standard white diamond stocked guns are a nice gun, shoot well but not much value in terms of collectibilty.

As for a NICE 22lr, if price isnt a concern I'd go with a Kimber. I have the Kimber hunter modle and it is hands down the NICEST 22lr I have ever laid hands on. Just a dream to shoot. But for the price you could buy 2 or 3 of the other rifles listed by others.

I got a remington 597 .22LR for 3 years and gone through 7,000 rounds. I have not change or replace anything on mine and still works the same as I got it. If you like tinkering than I would suggest a ruger 10/22, lots of aftermarket parts. I tried almost all the auto .22LR and for an auto .22LR, out of the box accuracy nothing beats the remington 597.

Wow, on the third page and I have seen no mention of the Henry lever guns. We have a couple every year at our RMEF banquet, and the Golden Boy is a beuatiful gun.

I have a Winchester lever new in the box that I have not shot yet, but it is a high quality firearm.

The one I always reach for is my stainless composite stock Ruger 10/22.

Trany, ya kind of opened a can of worms on this one, for one, nearly every hunter has/ has had an amazing .22. because the truth behind it is that the best .22 is "mine" it is the "go to" gun. target practice, small game, a [PoorWordUsage] contest among buddies, there is alot of pressure that rides on the little gun, and if a survey was taken, i'm willing to bet that about 90% would end up saying that it is their favorite cartdrige. every .22 has a story, it has either been handed down through the generation, the first gun ya ever shot, a $2000 tricked out tackdriver, or just some random beat up gun thats behind the seat of the truck. IMO every .22 is a good gun even if the barrel is bent and tristed, its still a great shooter. so if your going out to buy one new, find one that you think will best fit ywhat you are using it for or budget, but you probably will never regret getting any kind of .22LR

• 4 weeks later...