• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Late Metro Get Together

Hey Kids,

Anyone up for trying to get one last metro getother before the ice goes? I was hoping to get some folks out on East side. Let me know if anyone is interested and where some spots to have it would be. The croix would be fun, but not sure how the ice is holding out there.

I am up for another get together cool cats was a blast let me know what I can do to help!!

Ice is solid on the croix right now, but if the weather warms the shoreline deteriorates pretty quickly. Never been to an FM get together, would be fun. Keep posting on ideas on here, and i will keep my eyes open.

I'm thinking next weekend on the 16th. It's a Sunday. If the ice holds would like to do the Croix. Gotta see how many folks are up for it. Even if we have a few it's a good time.

I know we (Chilakoot Bowhunters) have an archery shoot that day, but depending on when you would meet, I could shoot early or later in the day. I've been fishing the Croix as much as possible lately, so would probably be out there anyway.

I was thinking pretty early. Probably from 6 AM till whenever people want to go. I'm usually good till 11 or 12, but if the bite is good or there are a lot of folks I'm up for staying later. Would be nice to see ya again Don.

A late, Eastside Metro Get Together sounds great. Name the time and place.

Early to mid morning has usually been the best times to fish. I'm in.

Lets do it I can bring some tables and some food and whatever else is needed. I have never fished the croix in the winter, was always afraid of falling in.

I would be up for this pending I am around that weekend. The croix would be good if the ice is good or another good option may be Turtle Lake in Shoreview. I have heard there are some nice crappies in there, but haven't gotten out to check it out yet. Thanks for taking the initiative to get something going Shane. You may want to move this thread to the metro fishing though to get a better turn out. I didn't even know this forum area existed!! I guess I do now.

GE

Good idea Sam. I will post it in the metro as well with a link to this one. So what I'm thinking is meet at baypart on Sunday the 16 at 6 am and head out fishing. I haven't been out in a month or so but we might have a few people who have fished it come out so that will help. Table, food and something to cook with would be great. I have a table I can bring as well and I have some fish at home we can bring out and fry up. I'll keep my eye on the St. Croix forum as to how the ice is and if it gets cruddy (bets it's been real cold so we should be good) we'll find another place. Any ideas for backups? I'm not apposed to Turtle, but KF and I were out there a couple of weeks ago and didn't get a bite. First time there so didn't know where to go either.

Here are some directions I stole from Uwleagle in the St. Croix forum to get to bayport:

You will be heading north on hwy 95 into Bayport. Right when you get into Bayport you will take a right to where you see the sign for the Marina, but instead of driving straight into the Marina you take a quick left. This rod curves down and you will go straight across some railroad tracks. Their is a sign that says this street is a private drive but their is another sign that say River Access. Follow this road right onto the water. It is free and most people head north.

I've been on the Croix for the last couple of weeks across from Bayport on the WI side. The ice is about 30 inches but I don't know how long the access holds up as this is my first winter fishing the river. I get a few keeper crappies everytime. Saw a 14 3/4" brought up by a group to the side of me last weekend. Another guy had a couple of 13 and a half a dozen 10". I always get at least one 12". I'm going down tonight and again on Sat a.m. I'm certainly up for a get-together.

Great eyesnfries, keep us posted on the ice. Maybe we'll stay chilly till then and not have to worry about it.

The sign for the marina is "Clydes". Just stay on the road to the left instead of going into the marina and you'll see the railroad tracks. You'll see the sign at the tracks saying there is access to the river. Follow the very bumpy dirt road and it dumps you right onto the river.

I might be able to make it out, depends on how the St. Paddy celebration goes in St Paul on the 15th, if the hang over isn't too bad (for my wife) I will be comming out, but if she is prying to the porcelin gods, well maybe me and the kids might take a little "drive" up to bayport grin.gif

Hey all!

Was out on Bayport by the plant, by the open water. I only managed one 10" and a bunch of dinks, but those small crappies just hammered my Swedish pimp with minnow head! the S. Pimp was almost as big as the crappie! Fun nonetheless! Im down for a get together at the Croix...Crappies @ the Croix!

BTW: i caught the 10" on a deadstick minnow on a teardrop jig in approx 32 FOW, but suspended at 25. I did also see a nice 13" come out from the guy next to me. And heard of a bunch of sturgeons coming out from by the open water.

Hey Sandman,

Count me in for this one. I've been wanting to fish the Croix in the winter for a couple of years now, but have been a little sketched out to fish on a river without someone who knows what they are doing out there.

Can't wait!

Randy.

Whoa, I never said I knew what I was doing. We should be fine. I think I'm heading out there with a couple of guys this Sunday as well. I've fished it before with Blueroof. He and Donbo have fished it a lot this winter and they'll both be there so we got a couple folks that know it heading out.

Was out on the croix with Big Wade and Kingfisher today. Saw Donbo out there, thanks for stopping in and saying hi, nice to see you again. Fish weren't exactly jumping out of the holes today but we did get a few nice keepers. Ice is still around 30" so we are good for driving next weekend if the weather holds. I think we are good to go for next weekend.

Can we get a final rundown on the details by Thursday? Where to get on, the area we are meeting and an approximate time.

Thanks,

Ron

Yep, was planning on doing that on Thursday. I want to keep checking the ice with these temps. We should be OK, it was close to 30" on Sunday. Also a head count would be good. I made a huge batch of venison chili I was going to bring some out and let folks have at her.

Do we want to make plans for a lake just in case the river turns out to be not so safe? Just a thought, I still think we should be OK, but you never know.

Hey all,

I'm really sorry to back out, I was really looking forward to it. My Dad back in Bismarck ND was admitted to the hospital yesterday. He's been through some real bad cancer the last few years and now has some bleeding ulsurs. I just feel like I need to go back and be with him and my Mom. Feel free to still meet out on the river and let me know how it goes.

Thanks Tom.

They put 2 units of blood and 2 plasma in him Tuesday and it was gone on Wednesday. They did another 2 blood and 3 plasma yesterday and so far it seems to be good. We don't know what's causing it yet though.

I feel for you man. Hang in there. Prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family Shane.

Lisa \:\)