• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favre Retires!!!!!!!!!

wallmounter

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tisosy11

• james_walleye

• Scott K

• Flatlander

I will give Favre the longivity thing, and early in his career he was one of the best for a year or two. But even I would break records if I played for enough years, and I am not good. Give him the length of time, no missed games, I will put him around the 10 mark, but not any higher.

As others have said, Madden kissed his but so much, that all non cheese heads, got sick or hearing it, and grew to hate him. I am even sick of talking about him now, but its still fun to harass a cheesehead anytime I can!

The 'ironman' thing is over-hyped. He played in games where he cost his team losses becuase of the injuries. This was merely because the packers did not have a solid back up option to lean to.

Think of the vikings during their run in the late 90s early 2000...each year our qb likely could have played, but we had a formidable backup plan that worked out...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Favre was a heck of a QB. He did a lot of things no other QB has done. Let's give him his due. He is one of the all time greats, holds many of the most important QB records and is future hall of famer.

The only reason I'm glad he retired is because now I don't have to listen to Madden drone on and on and on about him like a Packer fan. \:\)

"The only reason I'm glad he retired is because now I don't have to listen to Madden drone on and on and on about him like a Packer fan."

Do you think you are done hearing about it from him? Now we just will have to hear him compare all other QB to Favre, while he is sniffling. (If Brett would have thrown that pass he would have hit him right in the numbers, and it would have been a TD) LOL

Originally Posted By: Rick
Favre was a heck of a QB. He did a lot of things no other QB has done. Let's give him his due. He is one of the all time greats, holds many of the most important QB records and is future hall of famer.

The only reason I'm glad he retired is because now I don't have to listen to Madden drone on and on and on about him like a Packer fan. \:\)

Becareful Rick....just wait...it might be Madden/Farve in the booth! whistle.gif j/k , but seriously, how is Madden going to get through next season....

"just wait...it might be Madden/Farve in the booth!"

This is on public tv, we cant have smoochin noises coming from the booth!

In case you already don't have enough:

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will be back on the cover of Sports Illustrated with a commemorative special edition that hits the newsstands and book stores Monday.

The 84-page tribute will honor Favre following his retirement and tearful goodbye this week -- "I know I can play. But I don't think I want to," he said after 17 seasons in the NFL.

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
I will give Favre the longivity thing, and early in his career he was one of the best for a year or two. But even I would break records if I played for enough years, and I am not good. Give him the length of time, no missed games, I will put him around the 10 mark, but not any higher.

That's kind of a big if isn't it.

Even in the Pack's worst season with Favre under center, they only lost to the Vike's by a combined 6 points that year in two games. He was one of the few QBs that had the ability to win/lose it all on his own. Luckily for us Pack fans, he was a little better at winning.

Don't worry MN fans someday again you'll get a real QB of your own. Then you can tell US Pack fans all about it. \:\)

i'd easily put favre in the best 5 qb's of all time right now....he's actually the qb i'd want on my team out of all the retired qb's....most the other qb greats were lame to be honest.

i'd rather have peyton or brady on my team as of right now and you can project them guys to break the records but anything could happen between now and then.

peyton could smash all of favre's records and still might only have 1 superbowl ring but that doesn't mean peyton wouldn't be one of the greatest of all times.

Just to remind you, Pack/Viking record 17-16 in favor of the pack. The Vikes were ahead until last season. The pack havent been a Viking killer, thats forsure!

This post needs to be like Farve and "WALK AWAY" time for some new ones

i remember the vikes vs packers games always being good ones.

i wonder what the vikes vs packers record against each other is gonna be after the favre era.

They will still be close games (Vikes vs Pack).

That is what is great about a rivalry...it doesn't matter if one team is 10-0 and the other is 0-10. The games are still unpredictable and close.

Originally Posted By: IFallsRon
In case you already don't have enough:

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will be back on the cover of Sports Illustrated with a commemorative special edition that hits the newsstands and book stores Monday.

The 84-page tribute will honor Favre following his retirement and tearful goodbye this week -- "I know I can play. But I don't think I want to," he said after 17 seasons in the NFL.

When does it end? They gonna have a picture of his 40 yr old face and swollen from crying his eyes out on the cover. Give it up, you retired from a game, you didn't cure any illness, you didn't just loose someone, you didn't do anything but retire. I guarentee I will put why more time and energy in my job by the time I get to retire. I might bawl then too, but it will be because I won't have any money coming in. If I just got paied 10 mil a year, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. For a 4 month game. Give me a break and go away like a fart (or Favre) in the wind.

Quote:
The 'ironman' thing is over-hyped. He played in games where he cost his team losses becuase of the injuries.

I'd have to disagree on that for sure.

Maybe you were thinking Cal Ripken... grin.gif

Do you Pack fans need to be reminded of the REALLY and I mean REALLY lean years between Bart Starr and Brett Favre? The Pack were absolutely HORRID for oh, about 20 or so years. And I mean HORRID. Don Majkowski? Come on. From 1968-1991 they had only 5- YES FIVE seasons with winning records. You Pack fans should thank your lucky stars everynight before bed old #4 liked his Jack Daniels when he was in a Falcons jersey. If he didn't he would have never gotten CUT, or did he get traded? Either way the Falcons didn't want him anymore, and you would have been stuck with Majik mans mullet for years.

He was drafted in the 2nd round and a year later the packers gave them a 1st round pick for him. I'm not a Favre lover but at least do some homework before you post so you look like a viking fan with some credibility.

Take some time and do some homework before you post, Lord knows how much info is out there on Favre, especially now!

Favre was not CUT from the Falcons, the Packers (mainly the Mooch) wanted him and gave up a first round draft pick for him (19th overall). He failed his physical and the trade almost didn't go through, but Ron Wolf overruled the doctor and he was passed.

There may have been some "lean years", but there was never any threat of a blackout due to lack of ticket sales and the Packer fans road out the "lean" years and stuck with the team.

Again, lets keep this on topic and talk about Favre's retiremnent and his career, not who's team is better.

Read my post again- I said he was probably traded. And by the way- Green Bay and most of eastern Wisconsin doesn't have any huge metro areas except for Milwaukee and Madison, so I think in a somewhat small city, of course the seats will always be full- they have a pro franchise for petes sake. LA can't even say that anymore. I have said in other posts I like Favre- he is by far one of the grittiest competitors any major sport has ever seen. Just not a huge Pack fan, but I guess they have some rings which is one thing we don't have over here. But we will someday. And by the way- I watched a show about him, and Glanville was at wits end because of his heavy drinking and partying, Favre himself even says that on that show. Yes they got a first round pick for him in a trade- and at the time the Falcons were very happy with the deal.

Pretty bad when you have a metro area of millions of people and you can't fill a 60,000 seat stadium even in the lean years. I call 'bandwagon' on that one. Packer fans are dedicated and committed even when times are tough, I'll have to give them that.

I don't think that bothers anyone here saying that Lmtout. I don't think there are bandwagon fans here.

Hey Sandmannd,

No Favre didn't cure any illness. But where was he last Tuesday and Wednesday?? Arizona, visiting Children's hospitals.

You think you work hard (no offense I'm sure you do, no disrespect)? Try carrying the hopes of 70,000+ people on your back for 16 years.

It's too bad we all can't have the passion for what we do and feel as deeply when we retire.

Seriously? Do you really think these guys go home after a loss and their first thought is "that guy with the block of cheese on his head in the 3rd row sure looked sad after the game, I feel really bad for him". I think the guy who is worried about completing his job or getting his next sale in order to keep a roof over his family's heads or get his kids through college is under slightly more pressure.

It is not hard to be a humanitarian and give when you have it all to give, when have several months a year off, and millions of dollars to write off. It is all very generous and I am not picking on Farve and give him credit for doing it, but I have more respect for the person who is working 60 hours a week living check to check but still finding time and or money to help out someone else.

As far who is bandwagon, I guess I will ask this. Were there Vikes fans here in this thread week in and week out, win or lose, for the last couple of years? When have we seen the Pack fans? When they beat the Vikes and Farve's retirement. You are not here when your team is beaten by the Vikes or a couple of years ago when you stunk. Look at the post history of some of these guys, you will see a some large gaps in their attendance in this forum, and coincidentally it would coincide with Packer failures. I guess loyalty for me goes beyond showing up and drinking beer in the stadium. If you change what you do based on the results of the game or season, you are bandwagon. IMO

Give me 10 million for 10 years, let me work 5-6 months a year...i'll find time to visit children's hospitals.

How many season tickets holders in the green and gold packages?? I am pretty sure there are plenty of people making the couple hour ride north from milwaukee.

Oh yea - how many games did favre lose because he played with a broken thumb on his throwing hand? at least 2, maybe 4???

Favre isn't even the best QB in his teams history not to mention best in the NFL...

Limit out, the reason that the packers sell out every game is beacause there isnt anything else to do in Green Bay. Imagine what that town would be if the Packers left, NOTHING! In the Twin Cities, there are hundreds of other things to do at any given time! What is there to do in Green Bay, watch the Packers, drink, um poach deer, um drink, and for the ones who are smart enough, go fishing!

A real fan would go to the game regardless of what's happening elsewhere...it's only 8 home games/weekends. Plenty of time to do those "other things" the rest of the year if you're a real fan and not a fair weather fan like they are here. Half the problem is the ticket holders in the Cities are more corporate I believe, and go to the games just because the tickets were comped and it's the "in" thing to do...the place to be seen when the Vikes/Wolves/Twins are winning. When they are stinking up the joint they stay home and/or scalp the seats. I think there is a lot of that here. An open air stadium might help thin those bandwagon fans out a little and let the true fans get tickets who will show up regardless.

Give me ten mill a year for fishing and I'll show you one heck of a passion. Let's not forget, they are playing a game and getting paid millions. I have passions for what I do. OK, he was at a Children's, I work for the Children's in the cities and we have atheletes all the time in the hopspitals. I think it's great that he makes these kids days but I wouldn't knight him for it. Actually when KG was in the cities he did a ton for the community and wouldn't let the press get a sniff of it.

As far as the dome and bandwagon fans, I would go to every game if I could afford too. Tickets are overpriced and then you have to pay for parking and food. You're looking for two people to go to a game it's at least $200 per game. I can't do that 10 times a year and that's for crappy seats. Also, if it wasn't in the big inflatable toilet, I think you would get more folks there. As much as I hate to say it the stadium in Green Bay is a much better place to watch a game. If we had that here I think you would see more sold out games.