• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Depths on Mississippi

BigYims

I heard talk last summer about the DNR doing sonar or some sort of testing on the Mississippi River. I was wondering if anyone knows if this was actually done and if so is this information open to the public. I know the depths range a lot during the course of the year in different parts but I believe it would still be interesting to see.

Its still being compiled the last I heard.

I was interested in this as well. Hopefully they will be able to release the info sometime this year.

• 4 weeks later...

You were certainly on top of that one SH. Thanks for the info. Now the question is, what was the datum point for the measurements? We all know depending on the time of year, it will vary greatly. This is a great starting point though.

Thanks.

for what it's worth, as of this morning it's come up a foot or two at Monti since Thurs night.

As the description on the page says.... based on 5,000 CFS at St. Cloud Dam. I think the corresponding gage reading is 4.99' if I remember correctly. So, if your serious about running the river, check the USGS site before your go... grin.gif

Oh yeah, always try to check the water levels before heading out. I noticed that on the page late last night, well after I made the other post. Great resource to have right there. Thanks again for the update.

SH thanks dude!

All I can say is the river is down. A lot!

Rapides from the crow all they way up to the SCU dam.

If we do not get rain, it will be a tough year for boating.

All I can say is for us Catt'in and Bass'in guys, it is shaping up to be a good year.

That's right! I love the low water--it keeps a lot of people off the water who would usually be on it. And I can wade/swim my way pretty much everywhere I need to get. Although it will increase my envy when I see those guys in their RiverPros zoom past!

Originally Posted By: shackbash
SH thanks dude!

All I can say is the river is down. A lot!

Rapides from the crow all they way up to the SCU dam.

If we do not get rain, it will be a tough year for boating.

All I can say is for us Catt'in and Bass'in guys, it is shaping up to be a good year.

2+' of snow in Grand rapids and Bemidji will help out the water levels alot this whole summer, I hear everyone panicking already, we still have the wettest 2 months coming up! I can remember in 03 or 04 the level was ultra low all spring, I could walk across to the big islands in Elk River and not get over my knee wet the weekend before walleye opener, by Bass opener we were going where ever we wanted in a big [PoorWordUsage] alumacraft with a 60 horse on it, it went up another 1' after opener even. Looking at the forecasts it seems like its going to be a wet spring, I hope for once they are right!

good point river rat

it only takes a few really rainy weeks to bring the river back up to normal (or above normal) levels

and the spring melt this year at least amounted to something...albeit a little less than what one would have hoped but still something

You both bring up great points.

At the ER dam the other day, I noticed a major increase in the flow coming off of the dam, just from last weeks snow fall around here.

Now, with the snow up north. The water should rise and mess things up grin.gif. I like low water in this area. It makes the fish (cats) group in small area's.

As of last week, we where still in the 30’s for water temp. I seen a couple ice burgs floating yet.

Plus snow for this weekend and (like said) future rain from the next months.

Originally Posted By: Grant
good lord I hope it comes up nicely.. I like my prop the way it is! \:D

Grant,

Do not even talk to me about props in this area. I honestly can say I have never in this state of MN busted up a prop, but in this area of the Miss… mad.gif

To get to plane is a dream, but the in between is the culprit grin.gif. For my boat at least.