• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stand or Blind

bassNspear

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the two. I know there is alot of different situations that one is better then the other, but overall,

would you perfer a Stand up in the air, or a blind on the ground.

Just want to see what everyone is thinking. Thanks.

Without a doubt I will use a stand approx 20+ ft above the ground in a tree. One can see the deer coming from a bit farhter away. With being 20+ft up, you also will stand less of a chance being scented if you play the wind right.

I do use ground blinds only if there is not a tree in the location I would like to hunt.

I help guide a handicapped hunt every year for disabled archers and almost all do hunt from a groung blind. Most years we have a 50% kill rate for the weekend with these phyically challenged hunters so yes, it can and does also work.

I've used both, and there are certain situations I'm required to use one or the other depending on ground cover and available trees. But if I have a choice, I'll use a blind.

Hunting success depends a lot on your ability to sit for long periods of time in the field. I have a hard time sitting in my deer stand for more than about 3 or 4 hours. Considering I like to get to the stand 30-60 minutes prior to shooting light, that only puts me on stand for 2 + hours of shooting time. I have no problem sitting in a blind for several hours.

I stay warmer out of the wind and elements... and even wrap up in a blanket now and then. I can move around a little without fear of being seen. It's just more comfortable. I've been using a blind for 4 years now, and have had extremely good opportunities. Including a 10 that's at the taxidermist.

But as I said, there are some places on my hunting property that I can't use a blind. If there's lots of underbrush, you just can't see through it. From a stand you're up above it, and that thick stuff is often where the big boyz are.

I have some of each. My blind sits on top of a revine that is about 60 yards above the bottom of a low area, so getting above things isn't an issue. I have balsam boughs running around the perimiter to block the deers view of my occasional movement. I also tend to stay a lot warmer in the ground blind because there is no air movement under me. I also have a shingled roof on it, so no snow gets in. I can sit in that thing from sun-up until lunchtime at noon, without getting too antsy.

I prefer a stand due to the freedom of being able to take a variety of shots depending on the situation and the ability to see more deer (and nature). I do use ground blinds when I have to but don't like the limited visibility. They definitely will keep you warmer and out of the wind though.

Stand for me but taking a deer from the ground would be a rush. I like the portability and ease of a blind though and thinking about buying one.

there is alot of stand people out there, im suprised we have not heard alot of blinds.

I use both, but my stands are all home made perm's except for 1 ladder stand, otherwise I also have a few ground blinds I use more often. I prefer the ground blinds for the only fact is that I am terrified of hieghts, but love the 12-15ft in the air when it comes time to seeing what is going on in the field and woods...

Where I hunt a stand is just about the only option. Thick aspen stands, gives you the best sight without cutting a ton of shooting lanes. If I was hunting hills and open terrain I would consider a blind.

STANDS.. My wife and I have the ladders stands with the 3 boys using 2 hang ons and the oldest son got a climber last season.

Hands down I prefer a stand. I've not experienced near the success on the ground as up in the trees! As high as I can go I do. Scent control and movement are much more in my favor when im up and out of a deers senses. I havent heard of anyone whos used a ground blind have a deer walk underneath them, or on top of em for that matter! I can honestly say i've had deer numerous deer walk within 2 steps of the tree I was perched up in! In a perfect world I'd be able to sit in a permanet everytime, but as we all know it just doesnt always work that way, so for those occasions I've purchased a Summit climber. One of the greatest tools in my whitetail hunting arsenal as far as im concerned! Its amazing how fast i can now set up and be ready to shoot with my climber and a small saw to cut branches!

stand for me last year i used a blind seen alot of deer, but when i had 150in 8 come in it took my breath away he was masive. being in that moment i let the arow go at 27 yards and hit the singal littel sapling that was not in my vision at that time. i think if i would of been in a tree it would of happened. i have taken a few out of a blind, but not any more. not the blinds fault thow.

Sit in a blind, with a 10 pointer 8 feet from you, staring you eye to eye, it doesn't get any better... very intense.

I will admit, in a blind, there are limitations to shooting lanes, and visibility. But I'm just plain uncomfortable in my stand. I get cold, my butt gets sore, and then I start to figit. May as well tell the whole woods I'm there...

Apparently I need to invest in a bigger stand, that has a little recline to it, better foot rest, etc... Maybe some better clothes too huh?

I prefer stands for higher success. You seem to be able to get away with more if you are above the deer's line of sight. Blinds are fun and give hunting deer a new perspective.

I use both. I haven't really found any real advantage in view getting quite so high though. As you get farther up into the canopy it seems the view goes downhill in the northern forests where I hunt due to branches. Ten feet off the ground is usually better for me.

For blinds, I prefer to use natural blinds or build my own using dead brush from the area. We do this months before the season opener so the local inhabitants bet accustomed to it.

Bob

I'm a stand guy as well, addicted to them. All types of portables & lots of permanents. I'd like a blind, but then I think, I could get another stand or two...

I've shot a few deer from the ground, with my bow, lots with the gun, but just came upon them or found something to hide behind that was already there.

I prefer stands. I have never hunted out of a blind. While bowhunting this year i have started to love to just walk around very slowly and quietly. I was within 20 yards of a huge doe this fall that never knew i was there until the rabbit and what i think was a fisher ran over my boot. I drew on the doe three times but she never took the right step into an opening wide enough for me to squeek an arrow through.

Funny, cause we have some pretty nice stands and some basic but nice blinds where we hunt. But the last 4 deer I have shot have been when my back was against a fence post (two last year) or from a little camp chair next to a fence or at the end of a treed fence line. Hehe, why do I even bother with the stands? \:\) But overall I think more deer come from the 12' high box blinds we have. This is with rifle.

The box blinds are WAAAY more comfy \:\)

TREE STANDS! i have tried both and i like my tree stand by far.i love how you can see farther out and the deer can walk right under you and not even know your there.

I would much rather use a stand than a blind, people think you can get away with more movement in a blind, but your right down at eye level, and they catch any movement.

Thats a good question a tree stand or blind ?

To me it all depends on what i can get away with on the ground i dont use a blind so to speak i use natural cover the side of a hill , sit or stand next to tree , hide in a corn field whatever will give me the advantage etc etc.... Trees stands are great but i feel sometimes i get a better position on the ground to ambush deer When i hunt tree stands i like the tree to be as wide or wider then me and i hunt high I like a tree to have it all back cover and wide to hide my form against the sky. usually 20 ft or more high. But it sure is a thrill when a buck comes cruisin in at point blank range when your on the ground. To hunt the ground you have to have a very good idea where the deer are coming from to avoid getting busted you have to see them first then time your draw if you know what i mean? Anyway i love both it just depends on the area i'm hunting.

Originally Posted By: BoxMN
Funny, cause we have some pretty nice stands and some basic but nice blinds where we hunt. But the last 4 deer I have shot have been when my back was against a fence post (two last year) or from a little camp chair next to a fence or at the end of a treed fence line. Hehe, why do I even bother with the stands? \:\) But overall I think more deer come from the 12' high box blinds we have. This is with rifle.

The box blinds are WAAAY more comfy \:\)

Cool brother i like it! thinking outside the box \:D awesome!!!